Decware's news & developments

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by beowulf, Apr 22, 2015.

1. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

I think the reviewer invented several new words, but I did enjoy the article.

2. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

That Zen Triode 25th Anniversary looks really interesting to me. I suspect Herb's comment is spot on regarding the best match is with speakers possessing a high flat impedance as opposed to just high sensitivity.

bloodlemons and bhazen like this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have the Monoblock version of this (Decware SE84UFO3 monoblocks with the 25th Anniversary mods and use them with my Decware HR-1 speakers, which are 92.5 db and have multiple drivers; they get plenty loud in my medium size room.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Ontheone

After reading Herb's favorable listening impressions of the Zen Triode paired with his O/93's I became even more curious about how the amp would sound with my O/96's. It seems like a relatively low-cost experiment in the world of amplifiers.

gingerly and bhazen like this.
  5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Are the O/96's a more difficult load than the O/93's?

6. Ontheone

No. Same 10 ohm load but with 96 dB sensitivity instead of 93 dB.

bhazen likes this.
  7. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

o0OBillO0o likes this.
  8. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

New Decware 300b tube amp designed for Western Electric’s new 300b tubes being made in the USA - thread started here.

9. Lonson

10. Lonson

11. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

They look nice, but I'm apprehensive about their speakers after feeling thoroughly swindled by their Tiny Radials. Steve really talked those up and they were easily bested by dirt cheap computer speakers. Seriously the worst speakers I've ever heard of any size or design, lol. It seems they put more thought into what the cabinets looked like than the actual sound. Hopefully I'm wrong and these do more than just look pretty. I'll wait for others to review them :tiphat:

FuzzyNightmares likes this.
  12. Lonson

Okay. Others have been raving about the Tiny Radials. I haven't heard them. . . I'm a floor-stander guy and have two pair of the Decware HR-1 and a pair of the ERR, one pair of HR-1 for about 11 years, ERR for about ten, the other pair of HR-1 for 9--these have ended my lust for any other speakers.

DyersEve726 likes this.
  13. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

:shrug: I thought they were awful. Un-listenable. They are, however, the only Decware speakers I've ever owned, so it was a bad first impression for me. Tough to get past a first impression.

FuzzyNightmares likes this.
  14. Lonson

Cool. First I have heard any negative comments about them.

15. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Are they for real over there? They can’t keep up with back orders and now they have a new speaker under development now too ? Insane.

16. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Is Steve working with Louis at Omega on these speakers? I've got Omegas and quite happy with my Rachael/Omega setup. In fact, listening to some Marshall Crenshaw as I type and just loving the sound. Damn finest stereo system I've ever owned.

17. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

To be fair, I think Steve himself does a lot of the work on speaker development. I don't think he's typically on the workbench putting together amps, and if he's the one assembling these speakers it doesn't really take any time away from the amp techs. The fact that they have an 8 week lead time (instead of 2-3 years) suggests this is a totally separate thing. I'm almost certain he personally hand builds all the Tiny Radials, it wouldn't surprise me if he's building these as well.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like the work is most likely out-sourced, if it's anything like the Tube Tots.

18. Lonson

Right, I believe this line of speakers is outsourced. And Steve LIVES to develop and audition and tweak new products--and he is conducting his business as he wishes to, and can do so. I'd probably still be working and not retired if I could do so in such a situation. It's rare, and I can truly understand the love of doing so.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

That's great he loves to tinker but he's got 1800 people waiting for amps. And I bet many never did the math to figure out how long their wait is.....

20. Lonson

I hope you realize it is far, far more than "tinkering." Sheesh.

I know you'll continue to rankle over this and keep posting about it but. . . I've waited for his products every time I have bought one over 25 years. . . 10 amps, 5 preamps, two cd players, a DAC, a phono preamp, five pairs of interconnects, five power cables, a line conditioner, three speakers, two ZBITs and two ZROCK2s and more I've probably forgotten to list. It's something you either do or don't, wait it out or cancel an item. And I also maintain that the wait is going to be shorter than some are predicting by "doing the math" with limited information. He cares and I'm near certain he's working towards improvement in that area. . . he doesn't have to share all his information with the world.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    beowulf likes this.
  21. Lonson

I don't think so.

22. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

So if you've averaged a new amp every 2.5 years better place your order now !!!!! And then when you receive new one, repeat.

23. Lonson

You're just being a troll now imo.

I have 3 systems with Decware components and I have taken advantage of the innovations Steve has developed. It's been a journey that is very satisfying and has allowed me great enjoyment of my collection. Each piece has been worth the wait, and I am waiting for a 300B patiently. The type of improvements Steve brings through his research and experimentation are unlike what I have found elsewhere in audio. I know and respect that others' mileage may vary.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    SandAndGlass, ccarty and riknbkr330 like this.
  24. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Wow, you're the first person I've encountered who bought the ERRs. I think they look so nifty, almost architectural, but it's hard for me to understand how that structure wouldn't interfere with the sound.

[​IMG]

I'd love to see them in situ if you care to share...

25. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

C'mon....I'm just busting balls.... no doubt they are good amps. You are obviously enamored by their sound. So how much is the 300b ? Has it been announced? I see a number of people converted their 84 or others