Decware's news & developments

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by beowulf, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

You're being a troll imo, you keep harping and you really don't have a dog in the fight. And to someone who values Decware you're not as funny as you think to be honest. The price for the 300B is not yet announced. I estimate around 4500.

2. Lonson

I don't believe the architecture is really audible. I don't have these ERR-X, I have the earlier ERR which do not have the wooden upper structure, and mine are not in use at the moment (and I don't have a digital camera nor a phone that connects to the internet so no pictures from me).

3. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

I'm.on that amp list. I've been on since February for a Zen Triode. Trust me I do the math weekly and am very torn about whether or not I'm staying on that list. I'm still looking at over a year to get the amp.

To make matters worse I just got new speakers that are 86dB efficient and 4 ohm (minimum 2.9 ohm).

I listen in a very small room and at low levels. By the math it should work , but I keep thinking I should cut bait on this one.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  4. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Yes, absolutely bail out if you like those speakers Especially if you think you will have them still in two years.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  5. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Robinson was using very efficient speakers when he was using that amp. Heresy, Forte, Cornwall. Same with Steve G

6. Lonson

It's hard to predict how speakers will interact without listening. . . I've had some speakers tried out of that efficiency that had very little crossover and they worked for near-field listening though most would want more headroom for "partying" etc. --I don't do any of that so it wasn't a factor. (I was letting someone audition their speakers in my system).

The fact that the speakers are 4 ohms is actually a good thing.

7. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

What speaker ?

8. Lonson

It was a DIY speaker built by the guest.

9. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Could always change order to Zen Triode Integrated. Can probably drive most speakers in a small room.

10. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I have been on the amp list since July 2021 so I figure I’ll get it this fall. Too late to stop now lol…the price of used ones have gone up so it’s a no brainer to stay on the list for me. I’ve got Klipsch speakers to spare…

Oddiofyl likes this.
  11. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Monitor Audio Studio.

Dual 4" Drivers with a Ribbon Tweeter.

12. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Keep an eye on the classifieds forum. Sometimes those amps will pop up, maybe not to your configuration, but you may get lucky.
    Re: speakers, when I got my Zen Triode, I was using Rega RS1 speakers, 90dB efficiency, in a very small room, and as near field monitors. It was OK, but not satisfying..not enough headroom. I saved enough to purchase Omega monitor 7s and immediately was satisfied.
    I'm now in a bigger room and switched the preamp 6N1Ps to the 6N23P tubes and I really got a volume and head room bump from the system.

13. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

To be fair, you’re also on the polar opposite end of the spectrum, and the ultimate decware fanboy. People should be as welcome to share their negative views on a company as freely as they would their positive. I’d say there are more folks upset by the policies and structure regarding the waitlist/transparency etc than there are people whom are happy with how it’s handled.

2a3smith likes this.
  14. Lonson

Perhaps. I'm not sure I'm the ultimate fanboy, I do have 25 years of experience mostly positive, but whatever. I just see him posting the same thing over and over, something I find irritating and try not to do myself. To me he seems axe grinding, over and over. I'll bow out of the exchanges with him. And again: TO ME it seems like trolling. It may not to others.

I still maintain that the waiting list is not going to be "three years." It is going to start improving with new workstations and new techs and other things that no one here may know about going on--I trust Steve to do what is best for the company, and am pretty sure he's at it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  15. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Oops..need to correct the tube...the 6N2P not the 23P is in my system.

Lonson likes this.
  16. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Has Decware settled on a final 300b design and have begun manufacturing?

17. Lonson

Not yet, here is Steve's post last week about this:

The goal is to build the first production model #001 and compare it against this prototype in the next two months. If everything goes to plan the production model can debut at DECFEST in October 2022.

SandAndGlass and Ontheone like this.
  18. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

That's pretty intriguing. The 300b is certainly an amp I want to hear before I buy and get a feel for speaker synergies at different impedances and sensitivities (I know, it may only be demoed with one pair of speakers). I live just over 3 hrs drive from Decware so it's definitely doable for me. Thanks for the insight!

19. Lonson

My guess is that you would have the opportunity to hear the amp with more than one pair of speakers, from what I have heard that's likely.

I too am intrigued by the 300B--it was a 300B amp that got me intrigued about SET sound and then I found Decware. . . and never expected that Steve would build a 300B amp as he stated a number of times he thought the tube was not up to the specs of the EL84 and variants he based his first decade or so on.

20. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

So has pricing been discussed? Is it a $4000 amp, a $6000 amp?

21. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

I think if it was $4500 that was without the WE 300b's.

22. Lonson

The price has not yet been revealed to my knowledge.

23. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I’m sure it will be announced in October once it is a production unit

24. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

My prediction is $4700 minus tubes . Perhaps as high as $5500 but I think he will try to keep it within reach of many , but put WE in there and it gets pricey

I do think Decware understands their demographic for the most part. They have the very affordable SE 84 to $12k mono amps . That said I think this amp will fall right on the middle $5500 with the $55 tube he was gushing about and some basic input tubes and rectifiers

I have to say this about Steve . I have a lot of respect for him the way he talks about his family and the love he has for them. .

25. Lonson

Black Friday coupon for Decware (applies to a complete online order, on Black Friday itself ONLY):

BLACKFRIDAY22