SH Spotlight Hey gang, guess what? Some of your most favorite albums in the world use tape dubs as masters..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 19, 2022.

1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Are there ever cases where there are two 16-track or 24-track machines going at the same time so that the cross-fade is not another generation away? Might be a great way to do this if you are Pink Floyd or Supertramp and have the skills, forethought, and budget to do this for ultimate fidelity in the pre-digital era.

2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Learn something new every day! :cheers:

3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

So does that mean that "A Day In The Life" and "Back In The USSR" from the blue album on CD are from the masters not the dubs as neither is cross-faded?
    Edit: "Back In The USSR" is also not cross-faded on the vinyl.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  4. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

So, in principle, a better sounding master of "Back in the USSR" or "A Day in the Life" could be stored in the vaults of Abbey Road and could have been used in a compilation, such as "The Blue Album" (which has both songs as individual tracks)?

PS: Adam9 has basically asked the same question. Sorry.

Lewisboogie and mBen989 like this.
  5. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Probably quite a few. IIRC the song "Lazy Day" opens with a fade out/in and tape hiss is clear and evident for that part only.

6. So...I assume Glad/Freedom Rider by Traffic is the same situation? :shake:

7. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

I don't think the original version of 67/70 Blue album had 'A Day In The Life' without the crossfade, the first clean 'A Day In The Life' appeared on the 'Imagine the movie' soundtrack in 88.

8. Adam9

And what about most of side 2 of Abbey Road and a good chunk of Sgt. Pepper too? Arrgh! The mind boggles. ;)

9. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, most of the medley was recorded in blocks ("Sun King"/"Mean Mr. Mustard", "Polythene Pam"/"She Came in Through the Bathroom Window", "Golden Slumbers"/"Carry That Weight") so there's only two segues*; "You Never Give Me Your Money" into "Sun King" and "Carry That Weight" into "The End".

Also, one two segues on Pepper; "Sgt. Pepper" into "With a Little Help from My Friends" and "Sgt. Pepper (Reprise)" into "A Day in the Life".

*okay, three; "Mean Mr. Mustard" into "Her Majesty"

10. Adam9

"Good Morning Good Morning" into "Sgt. Pepper (Reprise)" too?

mBen989, audiomixer and Lewisboogie like this.
  11. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

What Steve said is the only way (in the tape world) that it could be done outside of doing it on the fly (Like a DJ) or assembling on a multi-track which would then cause even another dub and downgrade onto the two track. I cant see "splicing in" the transitions being worth the effort. As good as Dark Side of The Moon Sounds, I wonder how much better the actual single track masters sound compared to the final album master?

lucan_g likes this.
  12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

It seems like the original masters (without cross fades) were saved for each or most of the individual songs since that compilation album has different sequencing and different crossfades.

13. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

The 'piano exit' on Layla?

Solly Bridgetower likes this.
  14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I always thought that was a tight edit?

mando_dan and 2.1Channels like this.
  15. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

Hehehohohaha...talk about rabbit holes?!?!?!?!?

Greenalishi and duneman like this.
  16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember reading the engineer saying that the ZZ Top was a too-tight edit that they ended up liking.

Myke likes this.
  17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Lewissohn Beatles sessions book mentioned the crossfade process they used for some White Album and Abbey Road cuts.

Adam9 likes this.
  18. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Does that mean that "The Dark Side of the Moon"?..........

19. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I'm going to tag @AndyB here because he recently got criticised on the Bobby Gentry thread for using tracks from The Delta Sweete without the cross fades on the original LP.
    It was obviously necessary (to some of us) for a best of set. But according to this thread also it allows an earlier generation master. Though Andy would have been working with digital transfersvofvthe earliest masters, since he says he recreated the fades for the disc in the box set and the two further mixes on the standalone Delta Sweete reissue.

phillyal1 likes this.
  20. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

So is the takeaway here that all-digital recording and album assembly is likely to provide a higher quality final product, since making multiple copies of digital recordings does not compromise quality?

21. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

What's Going On doesn't really use crossfades. David Van de Pitte arranged the segues, and the songs have hard cuts and splices without fades. For example, between "God Is Love" and "Mercy Mercy Me" you can hear the hard tape edit after "all he asks of us, I know..." followed by Van de Pitte's segue.

The Detroit Mix makes this editing strategy even more obvious.

It's quite different than the diagonal tape cut strategy used on things like Notorious Byrd Brothers.

22. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Forum Resident

What's the purpose of this post?

Dovetail7 and abzach like this.
  23. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

What ?!!
    .. first it's not really the Beach Boys playing the instruments on Pet Sounds, and now this ? :eek:

;)

24. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

How about an album like Dark Side of the Moon, are the songs tightly edited or segued?

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..so technically, are the two “combined” songs considered “one track”?

a customer likes this.