Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

This^^^

:D

- Kevin

2. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Fremer has got to be at least 75. At some point, we audiophiles need to have an honest conversation about where the cutoff point is for having "golden ears." - It cannot be a guy a hop and a skip away from being an octogenarian.

3. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Of course respond is winning the poll. The drama is fantastic.

CBackley likes this.
  4. Otto Konrad

Otto Konrad Forum Resident

But was he being told to do things that enabled a material public misrepresentation? Again, in terms of industry practices, maybe there is more to this story than we all know. Maybe this behavior is widespread or has been. But regardless it doesn't make it right, right?

5. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Or "therapy," if you will.

6. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

MOFI has only 14 employees, and as far as I can tell, only two of them have titles suggesting senior decision-making power; Michael Grantham on the business side, and probably also Shawn Britton. That's it. Which basically means that the two of them call every shot or decisions are made more collectively. In any event, there does not appear to be a battery of disconnected, paper-pushing "suits" upon which this could be blamed. The company literally *is* its audio guys.

7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Yeah, I hear ya, but there are other facets where he could contribute, from music history/his era to all the equipment that passed through his hands. He could tell a story if he wanted. He's been around for a long time in this industry and it doesn't have to be tabloid material to sell.

btf1980 likes this.
  8. Otto Konrad

Otto Konrad Forum Resident

Right. I agree. So accountability is perhaps even more shared amongst everyone? I tend to think so...

I have a complete run of Dylans (mono/stereo), Elvis Costellos, Mile Davis, most one steps (including three Muddy Waters-Oye Vey). I have spent a lot with MFSL just since 2015. It just doesn't feel good. I'm sorry.

9. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Damn, there are some people in this very thread who owe you an apology.

10. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

I feel like people think theres a 100 employees at MOFI when clearly there isnt. So if theres 14 then well, we just saw 3, so people really going to blame it all on the other 11?

Bobsblkwax, Paully and Quakerism like this.
  11. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

As is evidenced by the list of members currently viewing it. Holy smokes!

CBackley and sons of nothing like this.
  12. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Calling this YT video journalism is silly.
    Kind of like calling vinyl "super vinyl".

Cliche at best

Swordsandchains likes this.
  13. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

This is fine and I have no problems with that. I was talking about the fidelity side of things.

Bill Hart likes this.
  14. 2.1Channels

2.1Channels Forum Resident

Just think, because of this revelation, If MFSL can license on a grand scale, they can cut an unlimited amount of lacquers, and press an unlimited number of pressings of any title...:D

Doug72 likes this.
  15. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

One of my take aways from today's video.
    This looked like a garage setting.
    I was expecting a big bad lab with JBLs everywhere and some velvet furniture.

Didn't look like the $125 record studio.

Doug72 likes this.
  16. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

The reason this is so deceptive (and i had a similar response to an email from a mofi representative in 2020)
    is that he might be convincing himself, doing the 'lawyer speak' not wanting to fully represent the process, that the "mastering" is indeed analog.

The after the output of their DAC is where the mastering is taking place, and their equipment for mastering is indeed analog,
    but the fact we know now that a digital file has been prepared to send into their mastering chain, rather than the output directly from the tape electronics,
    it is completely deceptive to call the whole process of production "all analog" - it's clearly not.

"mastering":
    DAC --> output analog domain ---> through analog components in mastering ----> lathe

it's just the whole section of the process they missed describing:
    tapes transfer ---> DSD capture ----> ? processing ? ---> DAC

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  17. Joe Stark

Joe Stark "Sad wanker" - Michael Fremer

Yeah, I'd be shocked if they had more than 30 employees total. I understand that the three featured in the video may not have senior decision-making power, however, if you're a trusted and revered figure in your trade, such that maybe only a dozen or so people in the world have similar skills, and you've been with a boutique company for 40 years, you have influence.

rockclassics and Embracetheday like this.
  18. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

oof.

19. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

whilst not an excuse or justifying their decision to omit the DSD process I guess they knew and feared the hysteria that would follow.

With 4XDSD it may well be that nothing is lost in making the working copy of the original tape? we don't know whether that was the case with the original DSD transfer process back when they started using it?

I'm guessing that at times MFSL have considered publishing the DSD involved process but like anyone who has lied/misrepresented the dilemma is when to come clean and then dealing with the consequences.

audiotom likes this.
  20. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

It makes it clear why they had to be careful not to press too many copies or ….this…..would happen.

21. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Without reading this whole thread, so I have this correct:
    1. Mobile Fidelity cuts their LPs from digital, and has done so since at least 2015 (and possibly before then);
    2. One of their mastering engineers previously claimed their cutting equipment was an all-analog rig, when it isn’t really;
    3. Fremer now claims he has been “covering” for MFSL for several years now regarding this little secret, and is angry that a retailer got them to admit this, but they wouldn’t do so with him…
    That about sum it up?

22. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Damn. Even the Miles Davis and Dylan titles are DSD sourced.

My pseudo 401k vinyl savings account is WORTHLESS!

sure they’re the best sounding versions… but worthless to the purists!

I’m really conflicted. Thought I was an AAA guy. Wonder what will happen to these releases’ resell value. Maybe I can pick up cheap.

indyalden and mikeyt like this.
  23. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Wow, he just straight up lied to the camera. https://youtu.be/z-td3Uk5TIQ?t=100

grx8, MonkeyTennis, monovinyl and 2 others like this.
  24. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

That’s my understanding!
    Feel like I need to take a shower. So conflicted.

those titles are amazing sounding. But digitally sourced. Gah.

props to Mike for uncovering this. It needed to be done.

25. Joe Stark

Joe Stark "Sad wanker" - Michael Fremer

There's always a tape.

grx8, MonkeyTennis, CBackley and 3 others like this.