Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Pretty OT, but they did discuss the Pretenders s/t in the video…

So, I just compared the track “Brass in Pocket” on the original US Sire LP (Winchester pressing), the original UK 45, and the MoFi LP. None sound that great frankly, but the MoFi isn’t better enough (or at all, depending on one’s taste) to justify the price over the Sire original, for which I paid all of $3.

The MoFi is the clearest sounding, but the lead vocal
    can sound a bit screechy on this track, so it doesn’t really help with that issue, and arguably makes it a touch worse.

I do hear some wow or some tape issue on both the UK 45 and the Sire LP (apparent on the cymbals) that seems corrected on the MoFi, maybe because the DSD transfer allows them to fix it? Not sure.

2. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

LOL, you must have viewed a few pages. None of this saga is really new like it's being made out to be today. As far as an apology, don't need one and doubt they ever admit being totally wrong.

I hope your learning something from all this that's transpired and about the people who push the myths in audio.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    CBackley, chris8519 and Paully like this.
  3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

All truly great journalists accept everything at face value and don’t ask questions. Everybody knows that…

CBackley, vudicus, OldSoul and 8 others like this.
  4. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I can’t speak for the “golden ear” club, but I personally think that, like analog, digital is far from back and white.

Could I typically detect a record just mastered from a CD? I think more often than not it’s obvious, although it does depend on the type of music involved.

Ultra hi-res run through analog? I’d probably not fare as well.

YouCantWin likes this.
  5. biggysteve

biggysteve Forum Resident

The vinyl community deliberating over analog and digital over the past 7 days.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  6. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

…..yikes

7. 2.1Channels

2.1Channels Forum Resident

I guess that explanation MFSL put on the back of the 'Eye In The Sky' is sort of a fib, as they transferred the analog mixdown to digital and back again for cutting. I guess it was better than using the original digital PCM master used for the original release. I still like the Classic HDAD best, which used the analog masters.

Peter K likes this.
  8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

In my opinion, the AP version of Folk Singer is superior

9. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

No way digital is equal to a quality AAA pressing
    Just because some listeners here were oblivious doesn't make it so.

FFS, try some AB comparisons. I stream hi res on Qobuz and then play AAA often.
    There's a real difference.

The eye opener for me has been in the jazz releases.
    If you can't hear the difference, I'm not sure what to say.

bajaed, CBackley, rcsrich and 5 others like this.
  10. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

around the 49:10 mark, they said all 1 steps were cut from dsd

11. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

A question about the lists that M. Fremer and M. Esposito made of 100 AAA records, which include several MoFis. Where did they get the information that those records are AAA? The records do not claim to be AAA. Did they assume they were AAA or where did they get that information from?

12. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

I think the point is MoFi is sampling at a very high rate and transferring from a tape. I don't think any streaming platform can come close.

13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Another question is why did Mofi not reach out to someone as high profile as Fremer, and tell him their records were not AAA if he was mistaken.
    I think we all know the answer to that now.

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Some?

Try the majority. Perhaps go read the posts in the other Mofi release or past threads.

Do you think Quboz is the same as a Mofi dsd transfer? Try listening to the One Step Abraxas and an original. Get back with me if you can hear digital in the One Step.

ausgraeme, nosliw, PATB and 1 other person like this.
  15. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Everyone assumed.

It seems MoFi has always had one business model and that is make a good sounding record that everyone can enjoy.

From 1/2 speed to ANADISQ they seem to use whatever the latest tech is.

16. Otto Konrad

Otto Konrad Forum Resident

The engineer is being misleading with the tape machines and the analog mixers. Not a computer or mouse pad in sight. But the worst moment is the line “It’s definitely different than digital”. Ooooffff

17. That would be dumb for people to do that. At least if they actually loved music.

18. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

I made some preorders just to cancel them.

19. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

… and it’s presented in the analog format of vinyl without a need for conversion whereas streaming involves the conversion. Apples to oranges.

rcsrich and YouCantWin like this.
  20. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

It's been several months since my comparison.
    Main take away is the Mofi was lifeless.
    Original had the crankeable feel to it.
    Sounded more like an 80s rock album.

Mofi was more in the George McFly sound. Accurate but hesitant.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

[​IMG]

22. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

....and AAA pricing, and lack of quality. I have no beef with digital vinyl. Proof: I just spent $100 (actually, discounted by $25!) on GZ-pressed digital vinyl at the VMP store :hide:

Swordsandchains likes this.
  23. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

A hypothetical question:

Do you have any Mofi One-steps that you love? That are possibly the best sounding records in your collection?
    If mofi had publicised the digital step from the start, and it had prevented you from buying the above items - would they have done you a favour?
    You may have never heard what turned out to be a favourite record.

I don't condone some of the one-step literature, which appears to be straight up falsehood.
    But if I were to play devil's advocate, I could give some credit to Mofi for resisting the "AAA" zealotry, trusting their ears, and withholding information that was leading to misinformed decisions by consumers ie: "This is from digital, it will sound inferior."

24. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I have an original Abraxas for $5. Never was inclined for this Maserati

Bill Why Man and Quakerism like this.
  25. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Could you please post a screen shot of the email you speak of?

timnor likes this.