SACD - Are you surprised at the format's recent resurgence?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. layman

layman Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    It appears to be a Hybrid-Stereo SACD (CD layer + Stereo SACD layer but no Multi-channel SACD layer).
    https://ushop.umwebzine.com/5396092.html

Jagger69, ispace, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  2. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

The Sony you’re buying actually is a receiver with a built-in disc drive so it’s not designed to output sacd audio from the hdmi output. The manual specifically reads that sacd audio is unavailable at the hdmi output. The device has no method of outputting any audio except for directly connecting speakers into the built-in speaker connectors.

Tim 2 and soundboy like this.
  3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

30 seconds to find one
    OPEN BOX Sony BDP-S480 3D Blu-Ray Player Wi-Fi Enabled 22W/US $69.99
    LAN, Composite Video BNC, Composite Video RCA, HDMI, USB
    Storage Capacity:
    2 TB
    Recordable Media Format:
    Blu-ray BD-R, Blu-ray BD-RE, DVD+R
    UPC:
    Playable Media Format:
    Blu-ray BD-R, CD, AAC, Blu-ray BD-RE, DVD-RW, Blu-ray, SACD, Blu-ray 3D, DVD+VR, DVD-R, DVD-VR, DVD, CD-R, DVD+RW, CD-RW, DVD+R

Armjim likes this.
  4. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Yep you are right. Just scoured the manual again and saw it in the small print. Just contacted the seller to see if I can cancel the order-if not, it will go to Salvation Army and be part of our 2022 charitable deductions. After this, not messing wit this anymore. Kind of lost interest in the process now. If I had dozens of 5.1 SACDs I would be more apt to continue he search, but since I don't, oh well.

Rigoberto and RnRmf like this.
  5. Armjim

I am holding my head in shame on this thread, but nothing to lose. The seller of the first unit graciously agreed to cancel the first order (for which I told him I would make it up to him in the future), and bought the model you suggested from another seller, for much less of an amount, including cables, manual and remote. I looked at the manual page by page and this one seems to fit what I am searching for. Thanks for the tip.

jamesc, jhm, RnRmf and 5 others like this.
  6. shokhead

Looks like it will fit your needs and make you happy to hear 5.1 in all it’s glory

7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

No shame at all. Sony did themselves no favors by making SACD so complicated.

ispace, Armjim, Quim and 2 others like this.
  8. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Exactly. The average consumer couldn’t work out how to listen to SACD, or assumed they were listening to high-res & were actually hearing the Red Book layer due to incompatibilities, so they dismissed any benefits.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

" Come back ", many CD player manufacturers are no longer supporting SACD.

whohadd likes this.
  10. layman

layman Forum Resident

Let's face it, SACD was always aimed at audiophiles rather than the "average consumer."

With that said the complexities of today's downloadable audio with hundreds of different coding schemes, thousands of different playback device options and an ever expanding myriad of streaming options make SACD look elementary.

I have no problem mastering the simple options available from SACD but am completely stumped by "virtual audio," something that's easily mastered by kids today, despite the Byzantine complexity. Perhaps "average consumers" are not as dumb as we think they are (they just prefer different things and evidently have different priorities that do not include sound quality).

I will stick with SACD.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  11. shokhead

The Hybrid tried to pull in the "average consumer but let's face it, most of the stuff we talk about and have on the SHF isn't for the average consumer.

soundboy and boggs like this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

ispace likes this.
  13. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I occasionally buy hybrids just because often the mastering is better to my ears -- Beach Boys spring to mind. however, if I know that a Redbook layer has the same mastering on an ordinary CD...like, say the 2014 Big Star Radio City and #1 Album why bother? Unless I plan to resell, which I don't.

JeffMo likes this.
  14. Armjim

I received my player yesterday. It did not take very long for me to get it connected and set up to play the 5.1 SACD layer. The manual was specific about playing the 5.1 layer on a SACD and how to set it up to do so. I played tracks from 2 5.1 SACDs-the Carpenters Singles 1969-1981 and the Moody Blues To Our Children's Children's Children. The Carpenters especially was rich and impressive; even my partner who normally does not care about this sort of thing came in and had me play Superstar both via the 5.1 blu-ray and then playing it via my SACD player for comparison. Then he wanted me to play the regular stereo version (from their self titled album). Even he could immediately detect the differences-they are notable and quite rewarding in 5.1 surround sound. Really happy I went through this learning curve and I greatly appreciate the advice I received here that steered me to the right equipment.

15. tomd

tomd Senior Member

soundboy, Echo and Jarleboy like this.
  16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Glad to hear you're having a positive experience right out of the gate.

Jarleboy and Armjim like this.
  17. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Welcome to the dark side <<evil laugh>> :laugh:

18. soundboy

The annual HK High-End Audio Visual Show is happening in early August, so HK Universal is likely to be releasing more SACD titles (four classical music SACD titles coming on July 25th).

layman, Jarleboy and Jagger69 like this.
  19. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing! We'll all have to come up with a must-have list when it comes to 5.1 SACDs. :winkgrin:

20. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

My recently purchased copy of the Getz/Gilberto SACD on Analogue Productions, CVRJ 8545SA, has “Disc Made in Mexico” printed on the cellophane.
    Can this be true or is that a mistake in packaging?
    Far as I know the only plants pressing SACD are in Austria, Germany and Japan.

21. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

I thought there were only two pressing factories left, one in Austria and one in Japan. Maybe the case was made in Mexico?

22. soundboy

I have seen the "Disc Made in Mexico" print before on a SACD. I don't have an answer. You are right about the SACD pressing facilities in Austria, Germany, and Japan.

The SACD pressing facilities in Austria and Japan are operated by Sony DADC, while the one in Germany is operated by Sonopress. Mobile Fidelity, for example, has used both the Austrian and German facilities to press its SACDs.

Jagger69, jfeldt and Omnio like this.
  23. Michael Leek

Michael Leek Forum Resident

I searched and searched for something that would suit all my needs, ended up going way over budget but am very pleased with the direct SACD output from Pioneer's LX800 player.
    Pioneer UDP-LX800 4K UHD Blu-ray player review | TechRadar

24. Double E

Double E Time is piling up, we struggle and we scrape

“Recent resurgence”? An 11 year old thread.

25. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

About Carole King «Tapestry» SACD from MoFi done in 2013. Is this a different analog -to-DSD transfer compared to the 2022 One Step?
    Maybe MoFi had the real analog mastertape in house in 2013?

Anyway, Tapestry SACD is one of their best, Imo. Sounds better than the Sony SACD.