The U.K. 70s Singles & Albums Chart General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Got the pink Miss You on 12”. The cover was actually quite dull. Nothing to give away the surprise of getting it out of the sleeve.

Randoms likes this.
  2. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

A favourite thing of mine was to watch the original UK Vertigo label going round on a turntable on a 7" single. Very clever.

Then picture discs, coloured vinyl, and... strawberry-scented, strawberry-coloured vinyl to accompany the strawberry-scented scratch and sniff sleeve for "Strawberry Fields Forever" by The King's Singers. The vinyl has long ago lost its whiff, but the scratch and sniff sleeve still works 44 years later.

And that is to say nothing of "Shine On" by John Townley, which came with a third track, "You've Let Me Down", on a playable sleeve.

Both of these sold by the thimble-load.

Randoms and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I can remember going to my local record shop in the late 70s and seeing the walls covered in coloured vinyl and picture discs. They weren’t badly priced either. We’ll not see that again.:)

4. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Darkness On The Edge Of Town was certainly worth the wait and my favourite Bruce album.

Have to say I thought Steel Wheels a bit of a (much needed) return to form and consider that the last really good Stones album - but then I don't mind Keith's, Talk Is Cheap LP...

Disco Inferno was my favourite track from SNF for years.

BOC and Kansas were two more excellent sounding 12" singles I bought, both with sleeves, but good old black vinyl.

Kate, The Kick Inside is simply one if my all time favourite and most played albums.

Edit. It also sounds fantastic!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  5. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Pan's People could always be relied on to liven up TOTP (one way or another). I always looked forward to their more literal 'interpretations' of the record. The Clash's Bank Robber was a hoot; ditto for The Chi-lites' Homely Girl. And who can forget the suitcases in Randy Vanwarmer's Just When I Needed You Most? But Gilbert's Get Down (#1 1973) just has to be their absolute apex of glorious naffness. I love how the middle dog thinks 'sod this' after 20 seconds.

6. Bobby Morrow

This might be their most famous ‘performance’.

7. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

One wonders if the production team were inspired to do that from Elvis Presley's 1956 appearance on The Steve Allen Show where he sang "Hound Dog" to . . . a basset hound, placed next to him.

Northernlight, Jarleboy and Alf. like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Anyone remember Ruby Flipper? They took 0ver from Pan’s People for a few episodes of TOTP in 1976. This is probably their most memorable routine.

Jarleboy, Randoms and Alf. like this.
  9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Yes I remember Ruby Flipper.
    Top Of The Pops really upped their game at this point, you could see the budget had greatly increased and the choreography was just stunning.
    And we even get a glimpse of a page 3 girls naked boobs whilst gramps is reading the newspaper.

10. Northernlight

Northernlight Forum Resident

I had - well, I still have - a blue 'Mr. Blue Sky', a purple 'Sweet Talkin' Woman' and a yellow Slade single, 'Ginny Ginny'.

LoveYourLife and Jarleboy like this.
  11. Northernlight

They should have kept them, but I suspect they only wanted a female-only dance troupe, like Pan's People or Legs & Co. More sophisticated viewers had no problem with Hot Gossip, on the Kenny Everett Video Show.

Jarleboy, Randoms and Bobby Morrow like this.
  12. Randoms

You could suggest that more sophisticated viewers wouldn't watch either Hot Gossip or Kenny Everett! :blah:

13. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

How dare you!?! :laugh:

As Cupid Stunt used to say in his later series, "It was all done in the best possible taste."

Or not... :shh:

And just for clarification: I loved Kenny Everett. There was always stuff that I found too silly in his shows, but what was good, was remarkably good. And silly. His impersonations of his personal friends The Bee Gees were worth the entrance fee alone. (And it was free...) "Mass-a-Chew-Sets". Still works!

14. Northernlight

Oh you said a mouthful, sir! Took the words right out of my mouth.

LoveYourLife, Randoms and Jarleboy like this.
  15. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

16. Bobby Morrow

Randoms and Jarleboy like this.
  17. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Not much response on here.
    I’m wondering if this warrants its own thread?

Randoms, Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

You could try, but I think it might just be me, you and Alan Williams, if he’s a member, who’ll respond.:D

Jarleboy and bob60 like this.
  19. Jarleboy

I might... But just because of that one powerhouse song, "Sugar Baby Love". Talk about wall of sound!

On reflection, seeing that he´s not the voice who sings on that song, I retract myself... :shh:

Randoms, bob60 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  20. Randoms

Certainly around 20 years ago (OK, maybe closer to 30)), Alan was belting out Sugar Baby Love really well and Paul Da Vinci finally did join Rubettes in 2000, but the other one. featuring Bill Hurd.

The Rubettes family tree is complicated.....

@Jarleboy , do you have to be careful retracting yourself?

bob60, Bobby Morrow and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Jarleboy

He, he... I figured it was an unusual word to use in that context, while still conveying what I meant. I like to experiment. With words as well... :angel:

Randoms likes this.
  22. Randoms

Bloody Vikings!

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Jarleboy

He, he... :wave:

Randoms likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

Woolworths ad from 1974.

[​IMG]

25. Randoms

That's the wonder of Woolies...

Some brilliant albums in there. Do you have the three I haven't (can you guess what they are?) Bobby? :winkgrin: