SH Spotlight How do I fix a damaged analog master tape without digital step? Jethro Tull, Nat King Cole, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

It's what he wanted, high rez digital to 30 ips 1/2" analog two track tape with yummy colorations to lacquer. He really dug the way it came out..

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

So the point would be having a type of “sound coloration” that only tape provides?

3. Steve Hoffman

That is correct.

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Hmmm, interesting. Can you describe the type of colorations tape gives?

Also, in your opinion, would modern digital recordings (where everything was recorded digitally) also benefit from this method?

5. Steve Hoffman

The type of colorations that makes music and vocals sound more 3D and real.

Modern digital recordings? Yes, in some cases might enhance the above, but only if the artist is after that. (Can't see why one wouldn't be, to sound more "alive" is a good thing, right?)

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Thanks for the info, Steve. Have a great weekend. :)

hi_watt and Steve Hoffman like this.
  7. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

These kind of front line stories are fascinating to me and I’m sure the whole community. Wow.

8. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

From the Urban Dictionary:
    What kind of sorcery is this?
    Used when you don't have a clue what you've just witnessed and when you appeal to a supernatural explanation, because you are too ignorant to be aware of the scientific explanation.

Thank you Steve, much appreciated - I learned something new, and I can say I learned it from one of the best.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  9. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Great account Steve, and a reminder that there are engineering heroes doing work behind the scenes to bring us great recorded music as close to its best state as possible. I treasure my DCC Aqualung.

10. I've heard you play it, and it was exciting to hear.
    I've heard Steve play/demo it before. The first time was at an audio show at the LAX Hilton in May of 2006. Super cool to hear for sure.

11. TheRunoutMatrix

TheRunoutMatrix I'm sticking with you, cause I'm made out of glue.

I recently read about the Avid 'Reel Tape' Suite ("HEAT"?) for Pro Tools that is supposed to help simulate analog tape; I'm assuming in a lower budget recording situation. It's interesting reading about stuff that many people wouldn't really think of wanting to use back in the 90s when I had a modest home studio, using an ADAT for a time, and everything was all about how awesome full-on digital recordings were.

12. That was your project that made me dive head first back into vinyl. 2006 I believe? During that time it seemed everything you were working on was for vinyl, and since I wanted to hear your latest and greatest work, I decided it would be a good idea to buy a turntable.

WhatDoIKnow, jfeldt and Steve Hoffman like this.
  13. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Agreed!

Moonchild and supermd like this.
  14. Crutnacker

Crutnacker Forum Resident

This astounds me. "Oh, Aqualung? I think it's there above the box of old soccer balls. Thick As A Brick's in the tool shed with the Grammy.

15. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

You're in good company.

Treasure - Spinning a favourite in 1970's sound.
    [​IMG]
    cheers

bhazen and CryptoSurfer like this.
  16. Past Masters

Past Masters Beatles Fanthologist

+1

Great story, thanks for the details of that process Mr. Hoffman. Very cool to read...

17. Mang

Mang Forum Resident

Thanks Mr H for your insights, very cool to hear about and it's the best part of this forum!

18. TheRunoutMatrix

TheRunoutMatrix I'm sticking with you, cause I'm made out of glue.

haha :laugh: a unnamed friend of mine won a Juno award (basically the Canadian equivalent of the Grammys) and for a while it was in his bathroom on the floor, leaning against the wall near the toilet.

hi_watt and Past Masters like this.
  19. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Steve, I apologize for the slight detour but based on your comments about tape brands, what current brand of tape would you reccomend for 1/4" home use? I like to record vinyl to tape on a Pioneer RT-909 at 7.5 ips (hope to get a 15 ips machine someday). I know it's not as critical as in the studio but I've used Quantegy most recently and am wondering if there is a better choice?
    Very interesting thread by the way.

20. Steve Hoffman

https://www.recordingthemasters.com/?v=7516fd43adaa
    Recording The Masters - RTM / SM911 1/4" Audio Tape

andrewskyDE, McLover, snkcube and 4 others like this.
  21. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Quad is a great transfer by Peter Mew.
    [​IMG]

andrewskyDE and Keith V like this.
  22. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

The current Mofi kerfuffle has brought up discussion about Sony refusing to let tapes out any more. Even to Sterling I think?
    Do you think this policy is warranted Steve? Or are they being a little too precious?
    I mean if everything has already been transferred to digital, and that is all the consumer will ever hear in the future, what value do the tapes really have apart from historical/cultural artifacts?

23. FlorentinePogen

FlorentinePogen Forum Resident

So, @Steve Hoffman, where is the metalwork for DCC's Aqualung release? Is there any prayer of it being reissued?

24. Steve Hoffman

Metalwork is at Record Tech.

25. Steve Hoffman

It's their stuff, they can do what they want with it. Lots of in-house use, I'm sure. They have 100,000 reels or more.