SH Spotlight How do I fix a damaged analog master tape without digital step? Jethro Tull, Nat King Cole, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Do you know if they have the facilities to cut from tape "in-house"?

I was watching Mr Fremer's latest video earlier.
    He speculated that whilst Mofi's Miles Davis reissues sound spectacular, perhaps even more could have been achieved with all analogue cuts. Seems like an opening for Sony to start their own "tone poet" style AAA jazz series. Assuming they have the gear.

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  2. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

wow. outstanding work Steve + all out effort to fix and use the master tape.

Steve Hoffman and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  3. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Is right to say that the CLassic/UHQR are from the USA Cutting master?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The original first version MoFi is from the USA Cutting master. The later versions are from the UK original.

hi_watt, dachada and FlorentinePogen like this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

They used to be able to cut a record, not sure now..

Briskit and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  6. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

Is this equivalent to what they are doing at MOFI? Is that the sound they are after with the DSD into analogue chain? Sorry I know nothing about this and I’m still scratching my head.

7. Steve Hoffman

No.

jewelsnbinoculars likes this.
  8. DPM

DPM Senior Member

If I may chime in, I believe the guys at Mobile Fidelity are converting the 4X DSD copy to analogue and then running that analogue signal straight through their mastering gear to the lacquer cutting setup. So no dupe tape in their process. According to their interview with Mike from The Inner Groove they didn't like working from dub tapes.

jewelsnbinoculars likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

45 inches of dupe tape. That's a heckofa lot..

McLover and TonyCzar like this.
  10. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Love that record, I haven't to it in a while, I will have to give it a spin tonight!

11. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Steve, have you ever had to work with digital masters that were stored to tape, such as three-quarter inch U-matic used in some of the early iterations of digital recording? If these have deteriorated, can they baked? Or should they be nuked?.. :)

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Music Matters essentially did that for their 45rpm reissue of Horace Silver's Song For My Father with the title cut.

McLover likes this.
  13. AnalogJ

I remember the invites, always being jealous of those who lived nearby.

14. FlorentinePogen

FlorentinePogen Forum Resident

Did you get to listen to the US cutting master and the UK original tape to compare? Just trying to wrap my head around why Tull UK LP’s are so vastly superior to US originals (DCC, UHQR, and MFSL aside of course).

Keith V likes this.
  15. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The MFSL Aqualung was terrible - extreme boom and tizz exaggerating the micro drop-outs in the recorded sound of the cymbals at the start of Aqualung. Not sure what caused this, but Island UK associated recordings of the time sometimes had this especially on the first track of the album (ELP's The Barbarian as an example as well Aqualung) - both later fixed in remixes.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    wayneklein, hi_watt and tootull like this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, used some of those. They could be baked and would work but it was dicey because the moving parts were fragile inside. Glad those days are over..

McLover and gregorya like this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

It was fun sometimes but I bet a few found it as boring as watching plants grow..

Peter K likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

The original UK Tull AL was cut with the original tape always, a cutting dupe was made but I doubt it was used much. Not a GIANT seller in the UK..

hi_watt and FlorentinePogen like this.
  19. FlorentinePogen

FlorentinePogen Forum Resident

This thread is incredible. I can't believe I'm getting to ask questions about the Aqualung tape. Thank you, Steve.

WhatDoIKnow and John Buchanan like this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

Happens all the time, at least 10 years ago or older. Now they just dump to digital and fix there. What's the fun in that?

21. AnalogJ

Right. And you were part of that process, although were you directly involved with the Plangeant fix to the first track?

22. Steve Hoffman

Never been involved with Plangent, even though I don't like recordings in H sharp..

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    Tim Bucknall likes this.
  23. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Yes the Umatic machines use a spining drum head. Cassetes tape should not be sticky and storaged under low humidity conditions . this video shows the machine

gregorya likes this.
  24. AnalogJ

Not a fan of Horace Silver, eh? (There is an 'H' on the keyboard. B-natural was sometimes noted as 'H' in the Baroque era.).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2022
  25. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

I had to check my amp at the time to make sure the loudness button wasn't on.

John Buchanan likes this.