The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

If you saw the piccy of myself that I posted, I’d give it a 50-50 chance :laugh:

Since it was taken at The Record Exchange, I’d say I was CD looking :laugh:

2. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I had never heard any of these Dave songs and I had no idea about 80 Days, so the next few weeks will all be new to me. I'm also not familiar with The Road.

"No More Mysteries"- This is a style of Dave I love. This would have made for a nice Kinks tune on the next album. It's certainly better than many of the songs that made the cut. It is very much in the same ballpark as Traveling Wilbury's, Golden Smog, and The Jayhawks. So much, that I feel like I have heard it before. This melody is in another song, but I cannot place it. Dave had this to say about the song. "The song is a dedication to a man I greatly admired and loved, mystic and Yogi, Sir George King."

"Wait"- This starts out interesting, but it loses me towards the end with the higher pitched vocals. It's like an 80s synth band that plays at the Sunday morning church service. It's not bad. I would have liked to hear Dave do an entire album in this style. It's actually how I thought more of his 80s tunes would sound like.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Typo is my first language

4. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Oxford was great, thanks! My daughter is finally settling in and all's good.

5. Wondergirl

...starting up where I left off. I'm only reading Mark's write-up before so if I'm being repetitious, then please forgive.

Welcome to Sleazy Town
    Loved this right from the first note. I don't recall the Kinks ever sounding this jazz/bluesy before. its slithers like a snake. Impressive. This song blows away the first 3 songs by a lot.

Yes, there's that the riff from Misunderstanding by Genesis. I know I won't be the only one hearing that. "it must be some kind of mistake". LOL

Fantastic vocals by Ray. the organ sound. harmonica!

"but dull it was not" - awesome. the same can be said about this song.

6. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

I like the twoDave songs today.

Was gonna comment on the Think Visual songs I hadn’t on the train ride home yesterday but the internet was wonky. So, let me just say I pretty much enjoyed them all, even Natural Gift. OverallThink Visual rose in my estimation quite a bit, but at the same time I don’t think there are any great songs on it. But, plenty of good ones.

7. Wondergirl

The Video Shop

Holy Madness! I'll have to have my ska lovin' husband listen to this song at some point and get his take. I love ska too so the sound makes me pretty happy. I think this song would grow on me with more listens. It's very cutesy, but I think the real message of the song would drown out the seemingly lightheartedness.

I also hear some Thompson Twins with the keyboards tinkling in there. Reminds me of their song "If You Were Here"(from the movie 16 Candles).

I think I might be fly-flying away on this song. It's a grower.

8. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

My 10-year-old is a Toshiro Mifune fan and we were planning on watching Red Sun on the evening of my birthday. But there was a Lucky Luke cartoon on TV (we don't have TV back home so it's huge exotica for him) so we changed plans. Red Sun is still scheduled for the summer holiday sometime. Am I going to suffer? Is it any good?

9. DISKOJOE

So this is the Lucky Luke you refer to? Well, it's nice to know that the Old American West is still popular in Europe. Avid Fortuleo is living the Lucky Luke life as we speak.
    [​IMG]

10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Well, I watched in either in ‘71 or ‘72 (age 13 or 14) and recall it as a good movie. I’m not the film connoisseur that many thread participants are, so take my 50 year old opinion with more than a grain of salt. But I doubt you’ll suffer! I’m guessing a lot of blood…but what can you expect with Charles Bronson?! Blood.

11. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

I didn’t notice the typos the first time, but I just had two margaritas,lol.

12. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

No More Mysteries

First time hearing this song a few minutes ago. I’ll keep this brief, cocktails, and getting back from a seven hour drive and all. I like this one. Has a nice homey country feel with the slide guitar. Definitely one of those songs that has that familiar, like you’ve heard it before feeling. Lyrics are interesting, but ambiguous to me. I put it on again while typing. I’ll need to listen to this one some more.

Wait

Meh. Not my favorite. Sounds a little disjointed to me, and I’m not digging the synths on this one. The whole song is just a little to syrupy for my taste. I put this one on again while typing, and have no great desire to hear it again any time soon.

13. mark winstanley

I need two margaritas...... or more
    :)

14. DISKOJOE

Hey, I thought it was the Kinks thread, not the Jimmy Buffet one :laugh:

15. mark winstanley

But I blew out my flip flop :oops:

All Down The Line and markelis like this.
  16. DISKOJOE

You also stepped on a pop top :(

You know, it’s amazing how much Jimmy Buffet has made just out of that one song. I was watching Wheel of Fortune w/my sainted mother and not only has he has these Margaritaville resorts, he actually has a town in FL also called Margaritaville, I think where Parrotheads can build houses and “live the Margaritaville lifestyle”.

17. mark winstanley

No
    I was being chased by the jabberwocky, in the dark moonlight, seething in a state of san pedro enlightenment....

Or I'm just taking crap :)

------------
    Yea Buffett has had quite a career.
    Pencil Thin Moustache was always a favourite of mine.... and oddly I could hear Ray singing it.

18. palisantrancho

Great taste for a ten year old! I love Toshiro Mifune and Charles Bronson and somehow I have never seen Red Sun! It's also the name of one of my favorite Neil Young songs. This is definitely going on my must watch list. I went through a Kurosawa addiction a few years ago and watched almost all of his films. I believe Toshiro did sixteen movies with Kurosawa. All of them are fantastic.

19. The late man

That's the one!

At some point they tried to (re-)export him in the US. That's when he had to give up his cigarette for a blade of grass, if I remember correctly.

The animated film we watched was this one (I found out there's an English version):

It's one of the very last, if not the last project on which great scenarist René Goscinny worked. He was at the film studio the night before his untimely death.

In a way, Lucky Luke is a French version of Americana.

20. The late man

I got him hooked with parallel watchings of Samuraï movies and Western movies. Started with Seven Samuraïs/The Magnificent Seven, then Yojimbo/A Fistful of Dollars, then on to Sanjuro. Avid @Steve62 mentioned twice the Rashomon effect here, about Return to Waterloo, which gives me a tiny link to this thread. Rashomon's the next movie I showed him with Toshiro Mifune, and I was blown away, but of course my son was kind of bored. Not going to see all non-samurai Kurosawa movies with Mifune any time soon, though they're on my list! Anyway, Red Sun seemed like a logical next move.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  21. palisantrancho

Throne Of Blood was one of my favorites, but it's almost like a horror film. For non-samurai Mifune/Kurosawa, I highly recommend High and Low, Drunken Angel, and Stray Dog, but your son would likely be bored. He may like Hidden Fortress (which was an inspiration for Star Wars)!

22. The late man

I never heard Fragile before. I'm discovering yesterday's songs this morning.

As a fan of Dave's songwriting quirks, I'm bound to be a bit disappointed here. I must say I don't view Dave's songwriting career as an unusually (for a 60s artist) ascending path. I believe he was an accomplished songwriter in the 60s, though less prolific than his brother, and the 2 album's worth of songs he wrote during the Kinks' first decade sound really good to me. The one strange thing about him is the 70s quasi-gap in writing, but the early 80s find him in great shape as a composer, with very specific and personal things to say musically. (I'm not talking lyrics here, they're just a pretext for song). The second part of the 80s find him on a road to more simple and direct stuff, some of which is really good (and some of which is actually not simple, as we'll see at the very end of the next Kinks studio album).

So how about these 2? On first listen, I really like No More Mysteries, even if it's a rather simple composition. This short bridge is spot on. I don't like the other one at all. The keyboard sound is awful, even for a demo. And the chord progression of the chorus is the blandest version of a descending chords succession that you can think of.

First impressions, though.

23. The late man

Throne of Blood is the Macbeth adaptation, isn't it ? I must have seen Drunken Angel, I believe. Yes, Hidden Fortress, great idea! I haven't seen it yet, and you gave me the best of selling arguments!

24. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

No More Mysteries

Yeah I keep expecting Tom Petty to come in on the chorus. Solid tune and loving the voice, nice to have it back. Lyrics are -- Dave lyrics, but the song as a whole reminds me that DD can do some really solid, really pretty stuff.

Wait

Probably not going to listen to this one again, but kind of enjoyed it the couple times I played it today. He doesn't abuse his voice (much) and it seems heartfelt.

Free-form Mondays?

I love that we can talk Kurosawa on this thread. Love Yojimbo but Ikiru may be my favorite of his.

I don't know about France, @The late man , but I get a lot of sidelong looks for the films I watch w/ my eldest. When she was around 12 we started on Tarantino, Godard, and Roeg. I did get a bit embarrassed during the Sutherland/Christie sex scene in Don't Look Now, but a few of my friends (including filmmakers) were disturbed/freaked out that I was showing those films to someone so young. Have been planning to start in on Kurosawa w/ her this summer.

25. The late man

I apologize for the off-subject! I had to work on Sunday (God forgive me) and I'm all mixed up.

Wow, yes, that's young! But as long as she enjoys the movies, it's cool! When my eldest was 12, I was trying some Orson Welles (Touch of Evil), and I don't remember what else. I showed him a Japanese movie I had fond memories of from the 80s, Tampopo, realizing too late it was not that much for kids. But then the eldest was only half-time at home so it was more difficult.

Trying to tie back these comments to the thread, I found a weird video entitled "Kinks & Kurosawa" but it's 3 American guys talking for 2 hours and I don't know what it's about, and more interestingly, this 3-hour podcast about Kurosawa where "Money And Corruption" is used as an intro for the talk on The Bad Sleep Well. (I didn't listen to the podcast, the introductory songs are listed!)

Brian x, donstemple, Zeki and 6 others like this.