Iron Maiden - Legacy Of The Beast 2018/2019 tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neonbeam, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

was "the trooper" every dropped for a tour since 1984? thats the only other song i would even think might have been played every tour since it was released

2. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I think they didn't play The Trooper on Somewhere On Tour '86-'87 at all. It was also skipped during 2006 leg of AMOLAD but it found it's way back into the setlist for the 2nd leg in 2007.
    It wasn't played on The Final Frontier World Tour 2010 leg but it was added to the setlist for the 2nd leg in 2011.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thank you :) lots of nice info

SammyJoe likes this.
  4. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

No problem and glad to help. I will post some other if find anything worthwhile.
    At the moment Im in little hurry as need to go and check some free concert at the near venue.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

100% agree

Dio is a perfect example - in his latter years his voice was much lower than it had been, but Ronnie knew how to use it efficiently without straining.
    Afraid to Shoot Strangers and The Clairvoyant were last played on the 2013 leg of Maiden England tour, Can I Play With Madness on the 2014 leg, so no that long ago ;)

Just my opinion, but I think Holy Smoke and From Here to Eternity are duds and Tailgunner is just OK. However, I'd love to see other songs from your list back in Maiden's setlist, especially Infinite Dreams, Stranger in a Strange Land and Be Quick or Be Dead.

6. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

And Dio sounded good until he was done touring for that reason. I hope Bruce can figure it out. He has the singing ability, he wasnt "just" an air raid siren. I worry about the stubbornness of the band more than anything else.

Agree on those songs. Not a big fan of Holy Smoke and From Here to Eternity. I do like Tailgunner a bit more than you but I rather have the others you mentioned in the setlist.

Matthew Tate and Rockhead like this.
  7. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

An Iron Maiden show that opens with Be Quick Or Be Dead, From Here To Eternity, and Tailgunner would be too much for me to handle. Won't ever happen either, unfortunately.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I could be wrong but I am sure I heard they rehearsed Infinite Dreams for the 2013 history tour, but went with Afraid to Shoot Strangers instead? Bizzare.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

I read that too. They said "it didn't work" (and I wonder why).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Yeah. I went to that London show for Maiden England and when they did Strangers with the ice bergs behind them it was just odd and didn’t fit the time period. Fear of the Dark too but I can understand more why they payed that.

11. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

Perhaps that's why they didn't play ATSS on the 2014 leg. I like it very much, though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Oh, no question. It’s just that Bruce can’t sing it anymore. Especially at the end of the set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Stranger in a Strange Land is one of my favourite Maiden songs, but it doesn’t really work that well live. One song that does, and they haven’t done it since 2000 - Ghost of the Navigator. Rainmaker was good too.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  14. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

Rainmaker seems to be perfect for "refreshing" the setlist with something faster and more energetic. Ghost is one of my favourite post-reunion songs.

15. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

I could’ve sworn ‘Ghost Of The Navigator’ was the second song played when I saw them in 2010 just before ‘The Final Frontier’ was released. It was mostly a 2000’s onwards setlist.

Rockhead, Matthew Tate and Ristifer like this.
  16. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

This is true. It was played at the show I went to in 2010 as well, right before TFF released.

Gus Tomato, Rockhead and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

I had no idea. I thought they played Ghost of the Navigator only on the 2000/2001 tour.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, I also heard Ghost Of The Navigator when I saw Maiden live in Pori, Finland on august 8th when they performed at the Sonisphere-festival and there happened huge storm during the day, downburst might be the exact word here.
    I was really close to the eye of the storm as there was only tens of meters away where the few tents and other stuff flew with the wind and had to find some little shelter to wait for the storm to go away. I even found myself from some video filmed there during the storm.
    I think 40 injured, 2 critically and other one of them died. It was really long day and we didn't know for sure if Maiden and etc bands would carry on. As you know during summer time, in Scandinavia and Finland, it's very bright late in the evening, so it was kinda good that Maiden's show started few hours late from the original time.
    Normally you wouldn't get as dark, gloomy atmosphere in any outside venue here during the summer. It was absolutely fantastic show, Bruce praised the audience and Rod Smallwood said it was the best show ever in Europe.
    It might have been but I think they said the kinds words as the people behaved so nicely, the storm, tragedy of the day and all the delay etc meant that everyone wasn't sure if the festival was going to go as planned. In some other place or country, the audience might have behaved hostile and wreck the whole site.

Iron Maiden Setlist at Sonisphere Finland 2010

Ristifer and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Besides "Fear Of The Dark" :sigh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Like I said earlier, FOTD has been played on every tour, except Eddie Rips Up World Tour 2005.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. walrus

Oh yeah, I forgot there was that weird technicality. If they hadn't made self-imposed rules on that one you know they would've played it. Lordy. I mean it's an okay song but nowhere near the "must be played every show" level.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

With the set list like it is what's the point.
    Wake me up when they deviate from the same old.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Indeed. As there's not totally 100% proof of what has been played live in all the shows ever since they started (especially the early years before the debut album), I would still bet that the only song that has been played on every show is the song Iron Maiden.
    So..even if some people might not actually like their self-titled song, I would still say that it's pretty safe to bet that they won't be kicking that one out of the setlist, besides it's the point for the big Eddie to appers.

Just today as I watched that tour update video from Iron Maiden's youtube-channel, got me thinking how lucky I and everyone else has been, because Maiden still exists here.
    There might not be too many tours or albums left, but they still got it and deliver pretty good and great shows. It was fantastic evening yet again when I saw the boys in early june.
    Haha, that was just perfect as my wife had birthday on the day and also it was her first Iron Maiden show, she totally liked it and atleast finally now understands why I have loved Eddie & The Boys for so long.
    Thinking of the next tour, Im ok if they decide to play best of Senjutsu and some old plus 1-2 rarities, but I would also like the possibility of them playing full Senjutsu live, that would be totally fine.
    As it's not yet actually known what they will play next year, I would say that the default mind for the tour is that they will play the full Senjutsu album live.

Infinite Dreams was truly the one I was most looking forward to hearing ever since they started the history tours..
    I hope that whenever they will add some rare song like ID to some setlists..

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    Gus Tomato and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. walrus

I mean, they could have Eddie come out any time they want, though. I like the song (much more than FOTD :laugh:) but i mean, there's nothing making them play any song, really. They're in a great situation in that they have a ton of songs fans love, but not like, "hits" in the traditional pop sense, and so as long as they play enough from that pool and pace the show well (not a given, mind you) everyone's happy.

Matthew Tate likes this.