The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Hard to comprehend why really.

2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I don’t take the “suicidal” remark seriously. That entire segment exudes warmth so I don’t take it seriously.

3. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Thanks for this wonderful story. Enjoyed every word. I too would have drooled all over the place to get a good view of prime Ray backside. :agree::laugh:

Great pics of the boys. :love: Ray dancing...just can't picture it!!

4. Paul b

Paul b Forum Resident

Fully agree. The song "The Road" is a Ray masterpiece. It blends the nostalgia, the present with the bookends of the Hotel musings.
    I love it and dig playing it on guitar.

5. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

The Road (song)

The Kinks may not be Celluoid Heroes, but they sure are Vinyl Heroes. Never heard his song until the past week. Everyone really has done a great job describing all the sections, layers, references and callbacks (both musical and lyrical) to really the entire Katalogue. It builds like 20th Century Man and their other more epic builders of the past. I am glad this is on Picture Book, so I can add it to my streaming playlist. This is sure to grow on me over time. You can't stop the music, even if the star faded away and vanished in the haze (or the mirage seen on the road). Some are survivors, some are debris. We know that Johnny Thunder was one of the survivors...

A few questions/observations on this Letterman video:

Why is this Ray going solo? Where is Dave and the other Kinks?
    Dave (Letterman) introduces Ray and pronounces it "Davis", and comes back to that pronunciation during the short interview at the end...
    Ray really seems to be enjoying playing this song.

I am sorry, @Fortuleo, fellow avid and recent American Tourist (to foreshadow a later Ray solo song...). Folks seemed put off by Zooey :hide:, so I sorta let that tangent die off on it's own... While I think She & Him's interpretation of that song would work well as a more upbeat tune, I personally don't feel that the original song itself flows well with the rest of the songs I put on that list. I did sort of tack on Waterloo Sunset at the end, but I did that sort of the way that Ray tacked on Waterloo Sunset at the end of Something Else. It's just too good of a song to not include, and yes it is a staple, but not in the same global awareness as God Only Knows or Good Vibrations. Anyway, I've been listening to this playlist a few times over this week, and I really really like it.

6. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

The album was released in Jan 1988 and this appearance is from Feb 1988. Ray was in NY at this time working on 80 Days and editing the video of "The Road". He did several media appearances this month, i.e. radio stations, probably magazine interviews, etc., and Letterman and in March, Howard Stern. The rest of the band was on break in London. In early March in London, they (minus Ray) rehearsed some songs Dave would sing in preparation for a US Tour starting at the end of March. The band as a whole had not been in the US since July 1987.

7. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Lest we forget, Zooey Deschanel did appear in Geoff Edgers 2009 Kinks film ‘Do It Again’ so haterz consider yourself forewarned if you ever check that out!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  8. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Fellow Avids, if any of you do not have a copy of UK Jive, here’s an opportunity for you. I went thrifting today and I found a CD copy of the album for $1.99. I’m willing to send it to the first Avid to send me a PM w/your mailing address for $0.00, that’s right, nothing, free, zippo, not even postage. I’ll ship it ASAP so you can discuss the album when it comes up in the thread. There are some marks on the CD, but I just played it and it sounds great. Again, the first Avid who sends me a PM gets the CD

9. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I found a vinyl copy of it a couple months ago. I thought this would be the hardest one to find since I never see it very often. The prices for these 80s Kinks albums are still very low! I imagine there will be a time when Word of Mouth is suddenly a $30 record. This has happened to so many albums I use to see in the dollar bins. I nearly fainted when I noticed that Fleetwood Mac Rumors is now a $30 album. :faint:

10. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

The Road

Well here's another pretty darn good Kinks song that I never heard before. Sorry for the repetition, but it may be obvious by now, I had bailed on the Kinks too soon. I should have my Kinks fan-ship revoked. Maybe I can re-earn it by the end of this thread. Thanks to Mark for his great write up. I think during one of Ray's earlier songs, I mentioned that I'm not usually a big fan of rock songs complaining about what a rough life they have, but this one isn't complaining at all, just observing both the good and bad of the life Ray chose. I love the line "but if it gets too smooth, it's time to call it day," and agree with @ajsmith - the line about the well respected men doesn't make sense, and seems a little forced to me. I really like that the song, while very specific in many instances, broadens out to include the thought that "life is a road." It's an ambitious song, bringing in a lot of different musical cues (in the sense of music meant to go with a specific scene in a movie), while still being tuneful and coherent. As a track on the album, I like the way the applause leads into the live album. My only complaint has to do with the sound. I don't know if it's the mix, but I have trouble hearing a lot of the lyrics without reading along, not a problem I usually have with a Kinks song.

11. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Wow, thank you! Do you know who his backing band is here? Wonder what the boys thought of that…

12. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Pleased to read all this excellent writing about The Road, and that everyone seems to get what’s so awfully good about the song.

13. Michael Streett

Oh yeah, for sure! That’s Letterman’s house band that he had forever. Very well known players. All world famous, world class session musicians who all played on hundreds of albums. You probably have some stuff they’re on in your collection and not even aware of it. Way too many to list here but research their names and check out their credits and prepare to be impressed. Shaffer is the weakest link here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Shaffer_and_the_World's_Most_Dangerous_Band

14. Boom Operator

Boom Operator Shake hands with yesterday's tomorrow

My Kinks-loving friends were embarrassed at first listen back in ’87, and I remain so now, primarily by Ray’s ham-fisted stab at emulating the atmosphere of, say, a Ballad of Mott the Hoople or, at the very least, successfully echoing the self-referential aspects of Jigsaw Puzzle.

The fact that the track seemingly dragged on forever didn’t help, either.

But, again, I’m delighted that you and everyone else absolutely loves The Road! :)

15. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Avid Paul Mazz was the first to PM me, so that copy of UK Jive will be going to him in the morning.

16. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

That is so cool. Again, more than happy to pay, just let me know. I never heard the album before. Started listening on YouTube - so far so good. Looking forward to the cd. You have certainly earned a place in this thread’s hall of fame for going above and beyond the call of duty sir. Thank you.

17. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Ah the broken pieces of yesterday's life.

18. All Down The Line

I thought that Free's All Right Now only reached #2 on the British National party Charts due to Mungo Jerry's In The Summertime so I can't go along with your claim.

19. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Didn't know that Ray ever did Stern. Would love to hear that. Does audio exist from that one wonders? [too lazy to google]

20. All Down The Line

To gain the CD surely we also have to include in 25 words or less our Jive on why we love the Kinks?

21. All Down The Line

The Road

I welcomed this new song on the LP even if I initially wondered if it had been recorded in the studio before and my ears tried to trick me on the first play that maybe it was really live.

I enjoy it and it doesn't overstay it's welcome even if it doesn't have one truly defining hook of greatness.

I am not certain when Ray first saw The Rolling Stones but it seems it would have been prior to their signing to Decca so likely latter day 1962 or early on in 1963.

After Charlie Watts passed on Ray reminisced that he had seen Charlie in a particular London bar having a conversation about whether or not he should or would permanently join the Rolling Stones.
    As we know he did so officially in January 1963 which marked the beginning of a long Road that included sitting in his hotel rooms and drawing each of his beds whilst sipping from his own English (Cuppa) Tea Set that accompanied him on every stop.

22. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I would love to find this as well. Anyone know what year Ray was on Stern? A quick YouTube search brought me to a Chrissie Hynde interview from 1991 on the Stern television show. Howard was really obnoxious on the television show, but Chrissie was charming and rolled with it. I loved the Stern radio show, and listened every morning for about a decade, from about 1996-2006. I don't follow him anymore, but occasionally watch an interview online. I also found an interesting Donovan interview from 1996 in my search for Ray. The old Howard show would never fly these days, which is why he had no choice but to try and re-invent himself. He is worth a fortune now, so that also changes his entire vibe. He actually became like the people he was rallying against in the early days. I still find him slightly entertaining and amusing at times, but I once thought he was insane and hilarious. I would love to hear how Ray interacted with him.

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Or a three page, single spaced essay on LeMans…and ….miracles may happen! (Just kidding @DISKOJOE )

24. All Down The Line

Now Playing......

The Road 1988
    The Kinks

Japanese White Label Promo
    Promo Stickered Jacket
    London Cat: L28P 1260
    Lyric Insert

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Michael Streett

At least to this point, Ray reportedly appeared twice on Stern’s radio show:

Nov 23, 1986
    Interview and with impromptu versions of “Lola”, “You Really Got Me”, and “Come Dancing” with Stern also “singing”.

March 1988 (the appearance I referred to in my earlier post)
    Interview only, no performance.

Reluctantly, here’s an excerpt of the “Come Dancing” “performance” from the 1986 appearance. Remember, you asked for it (I’m not a fan of Stern).

Not sure he appeared again after this. Too late to look up tonight. Oh, demon alcohol…

Wondergirl, Zeki, DISKOJOE and 6 others like this.