Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Cugel

Cugel Well-Known Member

Wth!!

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

No biggy. It really doesnt matter that much.

3. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

What also makes this even more difficult is the messing of the EQ that MOFI did on top of the releases being from DSD rather than analog sources. For example, the one-step Tapestry sounds very different than the earlier 2013 MOFI release which looks to use the same exact DSD source (1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 64).

On top of that, the cheaper 2013 regular release sounds more natural and balanced to my ears when comparing the two, even though it is significantly less (almost $60-80 cheaper). But MOFI suggests the more expensive One-step is the best the release has ever sounded. Others have noted how different the two MOFI releases sounded. So with all the processing and messing with the sound along with the digital sources, it is hard to know what you will be getting with MOFI releases.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    Strat-Mangler and audiomixer like this.
  4. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

You don't think DSD256 is useful as a safety margin in the case of a DSD --> PCM --> processing in digital domain --> DSD workflow (not saying MoFi does this, but maybe they want to account for, for the future).

I've seen some SNR figures for DSD64 (in terms of shaped noise > 25 kHz) and they did scare me quite a bit...

5. Even yesterday towards the end of the live stream, Joe Harley Tone Poet said the MoFi Miles Davis are so much better then all the Columbia OGs he has. And by a large margin. I tend to agree.

6. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

I have a feeling they are direct from the tapes. At least the Sinatra Swinging Session surely is as we have a video showing the lacquer cut. But would be great to get confirmation from MoFi.

7. Rareplaten

Rareplaten Well-Known Member

I think Fremer might have deducted that Sony wouldn’t let Mofi in with their Studer - which is the romanticised story they tell themselves. Maybe Fremer heard it, maybe he didn’t, but in this review he doesn’t seem to mind it could be DSD based.

8. Britt in VA

Britt in VA Forum Resident

I believed it. However, in my limited knowledge of this sort of thing, I'm not sure I fully understood the process, just assumed that they were cut straight from the tapes. This controversy has made me look at the process more closely, still a complete novice in all of this, and I have decided that the additional step doesn't bother me that much. Certainly not enough to think I was fooled because it was only but so important to begin with. To me.

I'm not audiophile expert nor claim to be. I read this forum. That's about it.

Kyhl, mikedifr0923 and d.s.l. like this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Right. Point being though is we cant use that article as a justification to say someone can hear digital.

But it certainly could have been a clue that something was fishy with Mofi. In that manner, yeah does smell funny doesnt it?

Maybe he should have followed up. Then again maybe he didnt care. Almost sounds like he didnt from the article. Kind of smacks of "Eh, what if it is digital, whatever the case, it sounds good!"

Big Blue likes this.
  10. BuyMeVinyl

BuyMeVinyl Forum Resident

LOL at this.

"Nobody can hear the difference between digital and analogue!"

"Hang on, this guy over here has done three comparisons and correctly said the AAA version sounded more analogue on all three occasions!"

"Who cares? He can't speak English"

Beach House likes this.
  11. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Well I unsubscribe to the email list, then went to MFSL site, didn't see a way to delete my account. I was able to delete my addresses, and since you always pay there when ordering, they don't keep card info. However I wish I could send the message they are losing accounts.

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Mazzy did you ask him if they were going to redo and repress "Black Fire"?

;)

deadcoldfish likes this.
  13. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

I don't recall him saying that he "knew"; I believe he only said that he'd heard rumours.

Given that he put what he'd heard in the category of rumour, he believed that it would be irresponsible to repeat it publicly.

dkmonroe and Big Blue like this.
  14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Calm down now. Youll have a hernia ;)

And no, he didnt. He was mainly talking about mastering differences.

Did you watch the videos?

15. contium

contium Forum Resident

You and Kevin Gray would seem to disagree on this.

Tullman likes this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

He said he was covering for MFSL. Either he's lying about that or lying about knowing.

Which is why he broadcast it on Twitter that Thriller was digital?

17. FashionBoy

It's fantastic no question! Interested to see the source of this revealed soon.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think all in all Tapestry ..like one of the Bill Evans titles just wasnt a very good choice for audiophile reissuing period. Im sure its one of those that are easier to license though since it has been done so many times.

19. I see what you did there. But no I did not because enjoy the copy of own

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

jk with you. ...inside joke (psst these Mofi critters probably dont even know the secret BN handshake!)

Mazzy likes this.
  21. FashionBoy

Exactly, agree 100%. Thinking of say Dark Side or The Wall by Bernie 2016 compared to the 30th AAA of Dark Side or an original of The Wall Bernie's cuts sounds great in isolation. No "digital sheen", very good sounding in fact.

But when you listen to the straight analog cuts, you realize there is a softening of transients occurring on Bernie's cuts, noticeably less three dimensionality, smaller soundstage. Overall softer sounding, less dynamic.

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Is that due to digital or mastering though?

23. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I quite like the digital cuts of the PF albums, I have The Wall and WYWH. I did splurge on a 30th of DSOTM because, well, it’s DSOTM.

FashionBoy and Big Blue like this.
  24. FashionBoy

:) No idea!

wwright, audiomixer and BuyMeVinyl like this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

IMHO, the Grundman DSOTM stinks. After that experience, I was convinced to try the famous 2nd German pressing which is head & shoulders above the 2016 Grundman. Then, I tried a 2nd UK pressing (A3/B3) which is an entirely different presentation yet still just as superior in every way to the Grundman as one can imagine. I like listening to the album, now. The Grundman has always been awful (again, IMHO) and why I sought out other pressings.

Same thing with Wish You Were Here which was again not an involving listen in any way. Just flat, dull, lifeless, soft, like DSOTM. I decided to get one of the famous "Barry" pressings and it changed my experience 180 degrees from the Grundman. No comparison whatsoever.

The Wall, however, sounds completely different; fantastic in every way (to me). Dynamic, quiet, great bass, detail, etc. It's the only one I've found sounds great at all. It's terrific and I don't need to seek out other pressings. An amazing deal which I highly recommend.

grx8, nosliw, jgrillo and 1 other person like this.