Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Glad that somebody mention that eBay and Discogs are overpriced.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Interesting. Do we know the source?

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Good point.

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Yes. Everything else remains the same.

5. Reminds me of when I used to visits
    my drug dealers apartment in 1978

6. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

My main record store owner is a friend of mine now after shopping there for so many years. I went there yesterday and plan on going back today, so he loves me. He is always telling me that I'm sitting on a goldmine and that I have a lot of records. Local people actually use my collection as a record store LOL. I don't mind that and always tell people they should stop by and look for titles. Most record stores don't have the selection I do in used records anymore, what they do get in sells fast. However in my collection you could see 5-8 used copies of an in demand artist and title and the record store will not have any. They are also getting less and less into the stores so that pushes people to buying up new records.

morinix and Wayne C like this.
  7. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

some serious Bad Company there must be around 20 copies of that album!!, I wonder what the record for a single album is on this site. I think my most is 10 Copies of The Captain and Me !!. I’ve always been a sucker for that album and that’s a one off!.

ODShowtime and 4-2-7 like this.
  8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I mostly just take him as entertainment, so the amount of ire he draws from people seems silly to me.

9. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

To paraphrase Judge John Hodgman, the difference between a hoarder and collector is a display cabinet :)

10. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

Seems like all the polls are being systematically deleted, I assume because of moderator workload... is it possible to have polls with no comments enabled?

v

Rose River Bear likes this.
  11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think it’s hard to say, because MoFi being honest likely would have included them making the case for why their digital process is worth the premium cost. Like, in the ‘90s or ‘00s or whenever they started doing it, sell it as a beneficial technology with proof in the pudding, rather than play the part they have in perpetuating the idea that AAA is necessarily superior. With a couple decades of that marketing, people’s opinions and feelings on whether to spend this kind of money on digital vinyl may have been different.

Kyhl and Rose River Bear like this.
  12. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

One other thing that just came to mind: The MFSL cassettes from the '80s. I remember reading in multiple places that those were made from CD-quality digital copies of the masters. Were those cassettes labeled with the digital step? I've never owned one.

An excerpt from Luke's site about the old Stones CDs, from Gregg Schnitzer:
    "Our cassette catalog was manufactured from digital copies of the original masters. Those digital tapes were done at 16 bit, 44.1, the same as a CD."​
    http://www.lukpac.org/stereostones/stones-cd-faq.txt

nosliw and mpayan like this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks!
    It's been a personal mystery of mine on exactly when these first appeared.
    Embossed/Double sleeved/Jacksonville manufacture, KP, -15.98 price code on the spine.

4-2-7 likes this.
  14. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

We pretty much figured that all out as a team effort in that thread. It was cool finding past trade magazine articles saying what was happening at the time. Maybe it was around page 32 in that thread and ran a few pages. But it was FM management/producer who pushed one of the vinyl companies to produce a better mix in the US, like the UK had. The 1980 Live album was the first to be pressed with Quiex II, IIRC.

c-eling likes this.
  15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I keep saying that the most freakish thing about this website is the preponderance of people who buy, own, and compare multiple copies of albums along with communal fiction that this is totally normal.

Rockin' Robby, Kyhl, Peterr and 6 others like this.
  16. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

You know what reminds me of around this time and the early 80s, clubbing in SF and the after parties.

Perfect Video:D

captwillard likes this.
  17. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Interesting take. However I meant that they muddied the waters as the only audiophile game around for a long time due to the withholding of information and the outright lies.

Big Blue likes this.
  18. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I think one reason MoFo kept the numbers lower was because higher numbers would make it obvious what the were really doing. Then Thriller came up and when they stated they would press 40,000, a few people knew it was impossible that they could all be cut from a true master, or even be all analog from a copy of the master. Then they got called out. If Thriller were less than 10,000, the charade might have continued.

19. Sipuncula

Sipuncula Forum Resident

If you go to a coin collecting website you'll find that some people collect multiple rolls of identical 1964 Kennedy half dollars--I'm content to obtain just one example of each date and mintmark of the series. Someone without interest in coins (it's just pocket change) might think either situation is abnormal.

Big Blue and Paully like this.
  20. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

There's some stiff competition for that honor. This may call for a poll. :evil:

21. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Nice try but we don't need comparison where dimensions are concerned. Yes, comparison is needed in cases where a recording is considered "more" harsh or "less natural" than another, but such comparisons are often not conducted in favor of the wholesale "digital hurts my ears" - the MoFi vinyl should have realized many such complaints.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    the nightfly and mpayan like this.
  22. Kevin Gray told me this months ago. I never spilled the beans of it here. He often tells me stuff that I assume is not for online consumption. The price of that LP has doubled since the time Kevin told me about it being tube mastered. The signal path of that laquer cut, is Kevin's own circuits he actually wired up himself! I didn't ask him about the format of the source he cut from.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    Strat-Mangler likes this.
  23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

But, it is totally normal, I realised when I was still in school that I could buy additional used copies of records I liked, compare them and sell on the lesser copy with little or no financial loss, even keep multiple copies if I couldn't decide, or it was a title I loved, that was forty years ago, long before this place was a gleam in Steve Hoffman's eye, records wear out, vary between copies and different pressings have different masterings, why not embrace and explore that.

24. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

In fairness, that record does have many cover variants. I can't remember how many but 36 rings a bell. Plus the gold one.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  25. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

This reminds me of a Steven Wright joke.

Whenever I'm at a supermarket parking lot and one of those employees is pushing that long train of carts, I like to yell out "Hey buddy, someone else might want to use one of those!"