Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. O.K., I've still got 239 pages to go before I’m caught up, but I do want to report that I spent yesterday at the inaugural Pacific Audio Fest in Seattle. I was expecting l'affair MoFi to be a prime topic of discussion, but only heard a couple of people in the lobby talking about it to each other, and it was in the context of it being equivalent to when Chad Kassem was caught selling SACDs that were upsampled Redbook. Then again, it seemed that most exhibitors were using Qobuz (a show sponsor) streaming as their source material — I only say a handful of rooms using LPs, and only a single one using physical CDs. The sole One-Step I saw amongst the demo material was The Nightfly, which was of course from an acknowledged digital master.

2. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

So the collector in this case can be admired for his restraint.

Dubmart and Paully like this.
  3. If you go on to The Daily Audiophile there is very little mention of this there either.

mikedifr0923 and Woger Warters like this.
  4. Randy

Randy Never Complain About The A/C On A Private Jet

So, if Kassem was selling upsampled redbook as SACD, then that's just as reprehensible as MoFi-Gate. Ya can't trust anybody. Sheesh ...smh!

5. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I’ve only read a small fraction of this thread and watched a handful of videos on YouTube, but it never ceases to amaze me how true the adage is — it’s not the crime that upsets people the most, it’s the cover up.

ODShowtime, Kyhl, Twinsfan007 and 8 others like this.
  6. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

There were plenty for sale on Discogs yesterday. After the livestream most of them are gone.

morinix likes this.
  7. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

This !

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  8. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Who decides what is normal? Lots of hobbies are considered weird especially when it comes to collecting things by the mainstream crowd. Why should record collecting be any different?

9. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Abraxas. Put your money where your mouth is.

Robert C, Paully, myles and 3 others like this.
  10. No, they didn’t. And I was hoping to pick up some SACDs… :realmad:

11. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Kind of funny people criticizing Mike 45 rpm’s ability to review records , implying he’s not qualified, I’d say he’s just as qualified as any of us including myself. To his credit, he gets all the players to come on his show, just had Kevin Gray and Chad on there recently.

Anyone ever wonder why all the best mastering engineers on the planet are accessible to answer all kinds of questions except for the MoFi crew? Hmm..

grx8, Twinsfan007, BuyMeVinyl and 7 others like this.
  12. That's life in the online vinyl world.

13. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Fremer is not anti-digital. He’s pro-LP and anti-CD. He has a high-resolution digital front end and has even reviewed such products for Stereophile.

Big Blue and dkmonroe like this.
  14. wumbo

wumbo Forum Resident

Is there any way to actually cancel an order on the site or do I have to get in contact with customer service? I have reached out multiple times to zero response…

15. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

So you answer a question with a question, what about backing up your claims?

16. LordTazzman

LordTazzman Forum Resident

The One Step price now seems really high. I can get The Beatles recent digital vinyl box sets and they each come slip cases, excellent books(they are all outstanding), and a bit of ephemera. And that's The Beatles!

Revolver and Big Blue like this.
  17. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I tried to post a thread and poll regarding the feelings and expectations of the members with regards to MoFi's deceit and the members future buying thoughts with respect to MoFi. The thread lasted less than 10 minutes!!:waiting:

18. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

See my above post!

19. LordTazzman

Cant you just do a poll here?

20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The Gorts don't want to have to police TWO MoFi threads. They're gulping down No-Doz with Yoo-Hoo just to keep up with this one.

mikedifr0923, audiotom and Big Blue like this.
  21. Pretorius

Pretorius Forum Resident

Get the Speakers Corner Round Midnight and don’t look back.

22. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

Just go to the “Contact Us” section of their website and send them a message with all of your order numbers. That is what I did and they responded the following day.

caracallac, audiotom and Big Blue like this.
  23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It is not possible to add a poll to somebody else’s thread.

24. LordTazzman

Go to top of thread. Looks like mods already did it.

Rose River Bear and Big Blue like this.
  25. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

IMO, it is very possible that such a case will be brought! MoFi and Jim Davis has already basically admitted that they took money under false pretenses! Additionally further incriminating themselves by re-acting to the anger from the consumer by altering and exposing their bad actions on line, IMHO.