Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

My sense from reading his reviews is that he thinks that LPs sourced from high-resolution digital can sound terrific.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I contend they were not better, just different...and much more consistent.
    But I'm basing that off of the SACD"s I've owned/heard.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  3. Slick Willie

And some of that menacing bass growl is lost.

mpayan likes this.
  4. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

That collection of Split Enz looks beautiful, congratulations! Do these colour reissues -including Synchronicity- sound any good?

5. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

This company is a disgrace.

adhoc, BuyMeVinyl, Merrick and 4 others like this.
  6. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of these studies indeed. There's the Geringer & Dunnigan (2000) study that showed that subjects prefered digital live recordings over analog; but this study is criticized for using cassette tapes as the analog medium (and rightly so, I think).

Also, there's the more famous and more recent study by Meyer and Moran (2007) that showed that subjects were unable to detect the presence of a CD-quality A/D/A loop inserted into a high-res audio loop. Why this may be relevant to the "analog vs digital" debate is explained quite well here: https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Kyhl, Robert C and Strat-Mangler like this.
  7. mocaw

mocaw Well-Known Member

Which is funny because 10000 should have made it obvious too. From what I understand about a true one-step, even 2500 should have been a red flag

8. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I selected No as my choice in the poll. I never have and will never purchase a “One Step” release from MOFI. They were asking way too much money to begin with, and even if they decided to 1/2 the cost of the product I would still not purchase it.

I will also be very hesitant to purchase any SACD releases from them too. If they can show the proof that they collected the original master tapes and performed all the work themselves on their in house equipment then I will consider it.

9. bresna

bresna Senior Member

The poll is flawed. It should have another choice - I never bought any in the first place. That's my answer.

Any MoFi LP in my collection was found in the used bins. I've never bought a new MoFi LP and never will. Gold CDs & SACDs? That's another answer. :)

kt66brooklyn, batdude98 and audiotom like this.
  10. Slick Willie

I suppose that BG's gear had some impact...but it's Guthrie's pre-mastered files that he used to cut from.

FashionBoy likes this.
  11. Slick Willie

I was on your side until The Wall.
    Hard to better a Sax cut of anything.

12. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

True story on that group of records, I was at the record store when the owner was going through a few boxes of records owned by Ian Copeland, who is Miles Copeland and Stewart Copeland's brother, Ian started Frontier Booking International (FBI) , Stewart of The Police, Miles owner of IRS Records and he and Ian were the ones that broke the Police as well as many groups in the US.

Anyway they were in the boxes, in fact I bought mostly all the records in that lot of records, mainly because they came out of his collection. I got records from their childhood and promo stuff. I can just see him grabbing a stack of those true colors to hand out to people and those were just leftovers.

Their Dad worked for the CIA so the family moved a lot around the world. You should take note this is where they got all their company and band names centered around law enforcement. Another interesting aspect they were buying/getting promos when they were young, similar to the Police and Sting getting Audiophile type quality records back in the 80s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kyhl, Twinsfan007, The Bish and 9 others like this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Just keep beating that drum.:rolleyes:

Revolver and Uglyversal like this.
  14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Sure, if all you listen to is old jazz.

16. Slick Willie

I'm a tad different. I believed they were AAA but from tape copies. Well most I believed were AAA, had doubts with The Cars debut.

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Kevin Gray is a legit mastering engineer that cuts records both digital and analog.

18. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Thanks, not sure I understand what your asking on reissues sounding any good though. The True Colors records are all old original copies some still sealed, I think the gold or silver and black was Australia only. The Synchronicity are all old A&M originals on Translucent virgin vinyl.

morinix likes this.
  19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Which is funny because that's one of the few they have listed as analog.

mikeyt and Paully like this.
  20. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Wait…was the CSN s/t been released yet?? I ordered it eons ago and never heard anything about it.

To keep us on topic, I answered “Yes” to the question. I have several MoFi albums, and 3 One Steps. They all sound fantastic and are the best sounding copies I own.

I WILL think very hard about ordering another One Step, however. That will depend on the title and price, but I am not closing the door on future purposes.

mikedifr0923 and mark winstanley like this.
  21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The poll does not apply to you if you never purchased any of their vinyl. The word "still" in this case is used as an adverb meaning continue to happen or the action is continuing. Which just goes to show why polls are usually not worth much. :D

Kyhl, Tullman, Beach House and 2 others like this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yes, I think the big white elephant in the room is still mastering. That is what makes or breaks Mofi products for me.

23. Slick Willie

I agree, that OG is impressive!

black sheriff and RobCos02330 like this.
  24. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Thanks for putting these list together for us. This above is telling for sure, I think they would have planned to do them just like all the rest. Maybe it's listed like that to help stop all the pre order cancellations which I just did today myself. Or maybe they will break new ground with AAA One Steps of all the VH titles. :confused:

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

But he wont. He has already said his roster is full until he retires. So nothing good is going to come from Mofi closing, if they did.

mikedifr0923 and mark winstanley like this.