The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Somewhere in Time was my first Maiden album. It’s still my favorite.

Anthrax, slipkid, fretter and 5 others like this.
  2. Square Hammer

Square Hammer Forum Resident

Opinions on Agalloch? Tried giving their Mantle album a listen. Great atmosphere and style but the song carries on too long. I’m used to 3-5 min songs.

William Smart likes this.
  3. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

who is Brian Robinson?

It’s Robertson - see Thin Lizzy and ridiculous shorts wearing guitarist on the tour, which I saw in Liverpool.

4. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

It's grown on me over the years, recently especially.

In large part due to the achingly catchy 'Wasted Years' which of late has been on multiple, repeat plays.

The digital guitars thing was a wrench too far in 1986, following the meisterwerk Powerslave which to this day is my favourite sounding 'Maiden album, even if Seventh Son... is the bands true sonic zenith.

Anthrax, weekendtoy, fretter and 4 others like this.
  5. BS101

BS101 Iommic Life Complete

If you don't like longer songs, you won't like Agalloch very much. That's their bread and butter. Other than some instrumental interludes, I think they're all 8+ minutes. You might like Woods of Ypres - similar style but much shorter track lengths. Not nearly as good, I'd say, though.

Stormrider77 and Square Hammer like this.
  6. Trillmeister

Wish I could opine but my ignorance on the band is total.

Yet again, however, one of these names frequently encountered and championed so I'm guessing investigation be warrantied?

Learn me which way to tango and I'll dabble. Cheers!
    :cheers:

Square Hammer likes this.
  7. paddrino

paddrino Forum Resident

Typo :) I have a friend with that same last name and I transposed them. :) My humble apologies.

Anno and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I think if my entry into Maiden was Powerslave or earlier, I would have felt differently about Somewhere, too. For me, that was the time I was getting into heavier music and I was more open to more a synth or digital guitar sound because of what I was listening to to that point. Perhaps not surprisingly, Turbo was my entry point to Priest.

For so many, those synth-feel albums by hard-rock or metal bands were a turn-off to long-term fans. But for people like me, it made for an easier entry into those bands.

The nice thing for me was that even though it was those albums that brought me in, all those earlier albums helped solidify that I was a fan of the band, not just an album.

Anthrax, slipkid, Purple and 6 others like this.
  9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Like Opeth and others in that field of metal they rarely if ever do 3-5 minute songs. It's not in their DNA.

10. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Great Band

11. I was slight underwhelmed when I got Somewhere In Time back in '86.
    It's certainly ranks up there with their best stuff, but that's looking back subjectively 30 odd years on.
    At the time for the first time I felt ' formula ' was creeping in and compared with the previous 5 albums greatness...it felt a tad predictable.
    The title track along with all time great single Wasted Years, Sea of Madness and Deja Vu are prime Maiden.
    The others are meat and potatoes by comparison.

An old guy looking back to when he was 23 years old!!!!!

slipkid, JakeKlas, Purple and 5 others like this.
  12. Trillmeister

Been revisiting Bruce's later solo material; dear me, it's truly great.

Anthrax, fretter, slipkid and 6 others like this.
  13. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

That's the kind of band I'd love to play bass for, sound wise. Of course, they'd have to put up with my mediocre skills and have the patience to show me how the parts go. :D

14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

which album is your favorite?

15. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

The first track on that Heavy Metal Killers comp is a monster, by Powervice. After hearing that track for the first time, I went seeking out the band. A Dutch band that just released a 3-song demo CD in 2005 (and that demo is about $40 on discogs, so I never got it). Bit of a bummer they never released anything else.

16. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

n /p

CD 1

Oh !You Pretty Things
    - Various Artists
    Glam Queens & Street Urchins 197O-76
    3-CD set ℗2O21 Grapefruit Records–CRSEGBOX087

fretter and Johnny Rock N' Roll like this.
  17. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

Nice, I was eyeing that set when it came out. It's got an interesting tracklist--some cuts that seem kinda weird there, but overall a good mix of stuff I know and stuff I don't. Can't beat those sets.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  18. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Agreed! And these may be the last place we'll ever see some of this stuff on physical release - of course they can always reprint a title. Perhaps that is what makes collecting them addictive.

One nugget on that Pretty set is the 45-single copy of “Kerb Crawler” by Hawkwind. It sounds quite different compared with the album track [off of remastered CD]. I don't know if that is only because of the source used for the Oh! You Pretty Thjngs set (vinyl, 45 r.p.m.?) ,or if the 45 itself is mixed slightly differently, or if it is even a different take of the song altogether (?). I just know that somehow this reissue on Grapefruit sounds...grittier, not as polished [as the Atomhenge CD album remaster]- which is very cool!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    fretter and Johnny Rock N' Roll like this.
  19. Trillmeister

It's a constant matter of flux with a trio of critical particles - his last three albums - Accident of Birth, The Chemical Wedding and Tyranny of Souls.

The sound qualities in 1997 and 2005 are simply peerless whilst '98's relative sonic opacity is perfectly matched to the dark, heavy material.

His voice is in each instance, thrilling and to me, an apotheosis of Metal vocalisation; I simply can't process the quality of these records and they all leave me agog, every time.

Anthrax, fretter, slipkid and 4 others like this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

:righton: and most of his collaborations around that time were also excellent, from Ayreon's Flight of the Migrator released in 2000.

21. Trillmeister

Bloody hell! :eek:
    :edthumbs:

Tarot Man, William Smart and Deuce66 like this.
  22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

New album in the works...might already be in the can.

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

and you probably know this one (Halford/Bruce/Roy Z)

24. Trillmeister

Him and Mr. Z; genuinely some of the finest material not to feature Dio or Gillan on their 'A games.' Indeed, the only thing that could compare would be a reunification with Roberto Hailfjørde. (And maybe a bit of off piste werk featuring Byford and Meine... oh!)

I'm hoping to the high heavens that RZ can present Brucie's vocal seriously to the fore as, er, before! BD's treatment on 'Maiden records since the Millennium has been increasingly tough to handle for an old fan.

I'm not fussed if he's a semi-tone or two lower in the delivery so long as that larynx is audible!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    Anthrax, Tarot Man, fretter and 2 others like this.
  25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I wish there was a better quality version of this performance.