Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I’m not certain if that’s really an issue since vinyl has noise and turntables are not universally set up among buyers to begin with. The DSD64 would probably represent closest to the original file in a general sense. If one “ prefers” a formats particular sound is another issue.

2. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Nailed it.

BKphoto, Bug80 and MonkeyTennis like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

:laughup:

Classic and so true.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Nah, he's still got a job, because they're using digital more than ever!

myles likes this.
  5. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

I don't think they'll change anything. They'll keep going with their DSD-mastering routine. IMO the wording means that they haven't received the original masters from Warner yet and that they don't want to take the risk of giving inaccurate informations before.
    Once bitten, twice shy...

DaveyF likes this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It's a possibility. We really don't know. Just keep in mind that mastering studios like KG, BG, Sterling, etc. are all independent and do work for third parties. They cut way more stuff in general than a place like MOFI would.

7. Strat-Mangler

And none of this has anything to do with the thread.

Read, understand, then post something relevant. Those are all steps you have yet to perform (well).

8. crzcrz

crzcrz Well-Known Member

You are making an assumption that the number of potential buyers is equal to the number of copies they put out. The reality is that anything they release sells out within minutes, meaning, probably, that majority of people wanting a new MoFi record can’t get one. It is possible their sales won’t be affected at all.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  9. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

That is also why some ( not all) releases were/ are only available at 45 rpm. Labels do not see such releases as competition for their general release of a title.

10. dkmonroe

"There, I misdirected the blame from MoFi to the troublesome people who complain. Again. Keeping up the grand old tradition that If You See A Problem, You ARE The Problem. Now shut up and buy MoFi."

OldSoul, Merrick, nosliw and 6 others like this.
  11. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

And the limited profile so nobody can see any gear to get an idea of whether he even listens to records.

12. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I say it will.

13. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

How about reading the post I WAS RESPONDING TO!!!

the nightfly and mikedifr0923 like this.
  14. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Like the Murphy's, he's not bitter - even though he is!

15. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Where's the poll option for "I might as well start buying SACDs again, while they're still dirt cheap"?

the nightfly likes this.
  16. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Short changed. Not caught red handed. Most have never heard a flat dsd transfer vs the original tape. Anything at the consumer level has mastering tweaks and what people hear are those results vs the difference in the mastering format. I’m talking digital using modern converters, etc. Not digital files transferred 25 years ago

Tullman, Merrick and nosliw like this.
  17. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I have read it.
    And it only confirms what I thought from the outset: Audiophile-ism is a placebo-snobbish mentality. You guys have been caught in the act and couldn’t tell if it was digital or not.
    That says everything. Now, go sell your audiophile vinyl. Poor souls.

18. Strat-Mangler

We'll take you seriously once you (once again) read, understand, then post something relevant. Right now, you're just trolling the same way countless others have. Everything you've posted is irrelevant and hardly original.

19. dkmonroe

Well, enjoy your unearned smug superiority, knowing that ultimately, MoFi will take the hit for this, because they misrepresented their product. They lied, it's on them. The "Audiophile snobs" you decry will be just fine.

20. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

I’ll buy it….

Let me know

Tullman likes this.
  21. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

At least you admit you are only interested in your confirmation bias rather than having a conversation with others.

Uglyversal, OldSoul, Tullman and 7 others like this.
  22. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Signed : J. D.

23. John Boy

John Boy Forum Resident

I'm always after the best musical experience and performance of a specific title. I don't get the purist thinking, in the end they couldn't detect or hear the digital??? We were all decieved for sure. We all know what poor digital sounds like and can easily spot it on even good pressings. Even then if done right can sound great. I think digital fails further down the chain like the compression to 16bit and the given limitations of transports and DACs. None of the MFSL SACDs are on par with their vinyl issues of the same title. Shouldn't they sound exactly the same given they both come from the same digital master? They don't!

Why does MFSL do it? Does it become an archive point for the labels? Does it make the balance of the process easier? Does it minimize the use of the tape? Is it so they can produce their SACDs from it? Have we heard from MFSL regarding this point?

24. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

arguing with apologists is usually an uphill battle

Big Blue, Merrick, nosliw and 3 others like this.
  25. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Well, as far as the “they lied and the market will punish them” is not always the case…anyone remember the Carver controversy not too long ago…guy straight up lied about the output power of his amp…people screamed, then moved on…

Fruff76 likes this.