Second hand record prices rising well over inflation?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by babaluma, May 31, 2022.

1. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

:agree:

2. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Yep I agree Crimson are hipper than Genesis and certainly ELP , rock bottom prices for any ELP album , Genesis slightly better apart from Pink Scroll and Crimson albums even at the lowest prices are £30 for Starless and bible Black .

3. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Well thats nuts , I suppose ELP didn’t even figure as usual !

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Second Coming Records had 2 stores on the same block...one had $1.00 promo albums from a variety of artists...damn those day look even better than they did so many years ago...oh yea, I bought hundreds...

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  5. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Yeah , the video is a real head turner with the luscious female black typist in the background!

6. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Nobody I knew was using a turntable a decade ago. Most people thought of it as an oddity that I did.

7. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

Everybody I knew was...........

Deek57 likes this.
  8. Fruff76

Then I guess everyone you knew was into a niche thing. Or maybe wherever you’re from they did. It certainly wasn’t common here.

Shtroodle likes this.
  9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

As little as 15 years ago several people gave me their record collections because they’d just been sitting around in their basements for years and they had no idea what they would ever do with them. There were some great copies there.

ARK, caravan70 and ODShowtime like this.
  10. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

Look , those of us who started buying records in the 60s built up a sizeable collection. We still needed something to play them on.

Nobody threw out their photo albums when digital cameras came along. Nobody with ears threw out their LPs when CDs came along

caravan70, sbeaupre and Revolver like this.
  11. Fruff76

Then everyone you know has good ears. That is not, and was not the norm. I’m only 46, so most people my age had no interest in records 10 years ago.

no.nine likes this.
  12. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

A decent dollar bin is becoming an endangered species too. It seems the only shops that still have them are the kind that will buy literally everything and can't get rid of anything, and eventually run out of space to add new things. Still usually a better selection than thrift stores, I'll give them that. At some point they are going to need to give it up and send Babs to the trash.

13. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Millions did , I worked at a store in the late 80s, when people came in with their Vinyl collections , we pointed them to green dumpster in the back, 99.9% threw their collections in the dumpster.

We had to have it emptied daily

ARK and Spastica like this.
  14. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

And stores are scoring record highs , on everything in NM
    these things were commons:

GM - Faith is now a $60 lp
    Top Gun is $70
    Aerosmith GH is $50

I could go on all night

15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I bit off topic I guess but I bought a used CD today for $8.99. It had its original sticker on it from 1991 which was $8.93. Somehow that brought a smile to my face...

16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

$8.93 sounds cheap for 1991. And $8.99 sounds expensive for a used CDs today (although I'm not saying it wasn't a good deal).

ARK, faceinthecrowd and Kevin j like this.
  17. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Well it turned out to be a fantastic album for me so a bargain in the end. I always take a quick look at the bargain bins which are usually $0.99 - $4.99 but nothing was to be found on that day.

ARK and Dave S like this.
  18. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Wales, the land that time forgot :laugh:

ARK, Spencer R, Fruff76 and 1 other person like this.
  19. NasuTek

NasuTek Doktor Kettu

I just stopped selling and buying records. No point selling and there is no way I am going to pay these inflated prices. New albums cost bit too much and one hears these horror stories all the time about crappy pressings and warped records. Why make records, if one does not now how? There are still those among us who buy records to listen to the music, so these records should be playable. Then again, I just started collecting CD, it is dirt cheap now here in Finland.

20. Lanark

Lanark The French for deja-vu

21. Segasonic91

Segasonic91 Forum Resident

Sounds about right. Sellers and stores in this country are a joke. Singles were $1 each 10 years ago, now pretty much everything is more expensive than an album! The "rare!!!" thing is what gets me though. Every bloody record or single is "RARE!!!", including the likes of ARRIVAL, Bat Out Of Hell and Thriller. It is just pathetic.

I gave discogs a second chance and bought a couple of albums that were "NM". I bought a 1st press of Deep Purple In Rock because my Jp 1st press is sadly from US tapes where as ours used UK plates. It was marked "NM". Naturally, it was in what my fussy self would call "VG" at best. I just cannot trust sellers in this country, every one I have tried with their "NM" records has been trash that I will bin eventually.

22. dee

dee Senior Member

:eek::eek::eek:

Aftermath likes this.
  23. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Nobody likes a show off :D

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Ha! just sharing...; ) did I say how fantastic it was?

Mang likes this.
  25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

The problem with that is the brick and mortars don't get the 'we don't care' deal like Target or Wal-Mart. Nearly all new vinyl LPs are nonreturnable while the mark-up isn't that great anyways. Big box stores can afford to do that but most indie stores are still hoping to make that $5 on a record that's been sitting around for awhile.