Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

As someone who lived through the 80s, I would charitably describe the paragraph above as historical fiction.

Peterr, recstar24, Chemguy and 3 others like this.
  3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

There’s no way to conclude that from a poll like this, conducted over the course of only a day or so.

4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I have not read the entire thread but I would need conclusive evidence not merely speculation about how individual releases were handled. If that is the case MFSL should offer refunds on those titles.

What I see here is akin to what I see in politics theses days. Making the perfect the enemy of the good. Attacking the companies that serve your community and share your interests and concerns about recorded music. It’s a tough business serving a niche market. Let’s not kill off a great resource.

5. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Agree that there's more than two sides to this, but the implication that people who choose to stop buying from MoFi must be excessively emotional ("worked up") and that those who, on the other hand, simply "aren't defending" MoFi are taking a more admirable position is something I can't agree with.

6. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Current workers have far more to lose though. It is oh so easy to just dismiss a former employee as being spiteful because he/she did a bad job and got -rightfully- laid off. I am not saying you implied that though. It is a general observation. People who stand up in companies in almost all cases are seen as troublemakers.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  7. I will say I’ve heard a handful or previously MoFi lovers change their opinion after the revelation. All of a sudden “well there’s this and that’s not as good as theirs but is always felt that it had this….”

Come on. Kinda wonky imho. .

8. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

On the contrary, that (boldface) is where the problem lies.

MonkeyTennis and Big Blue like this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Steve has said on more than one occassion that is what happens. We start out up in arms together then start turning on each other with the very things we were once aiming at the guilty party.

We are all upset for differing reasons. Not sure any are wrong in conclusions.

Well, unless you disagree with me. Then you are WRONG for certain :D

mikedifr0923 and mikeyt like this.
  10. LordTazzman

LordTazzman Forum Resident

Well not only that but you can vote multiple times. I'm not saying that anyone isnt following the honor system but...

We really kind of get the point now too. Roughly half no more MoFi while other half say theyre not stopping purchases.

If anything could be gleaned from this unscientific, perhaps wildly skewed poll, it is that the One Step line as it currently stands is in trouble.

Big Blue likes this.
  11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

What do the people who don’t see anything wrong with what MoFi did have to be upset about, though? :confused:

666666, folkfreak and MonkeyTennis like this.
  12. LordTazzman

Theyre upset that you're upset that theyre not upset.

And that's upsetting.

Kyhl, Elofan, Chemguy and 10 others like this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The poll needs at least several other options...

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont know, Im not one of those. Youd have to ask them.

Vic Trola and Big Blue like this.
  15. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  16. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Have you bought and listened to any releases by the company? The concern for quality and good sound is evident. It is easy to hear when records have been mastered from lo-res digital files.

Although in the early days of digital I felt that even a single analog stage in the chain improved the listening experience. With 40+ years of advances I now believe that DSD done properly has the best qualities of both analog and digital.

Analog sound is not a panacea, there are loads of terrible sounding all analog records. Likewise digital is not a radioactive contagion that corrupts everything it touches. I have plenty of wonderful sounding CDs and SACDs.

I’m interested in results not dogma.

Kyhl, the nightfly, audiotom and 6 others like this.
  17. Wellsco

Wellsco Forum Resident

I doubt it.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  18. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

If they shared my interests and concerns, they would have been honest about what they were selling me, so I could have made informed purchase decisions.

dee, indyalden, Merrick and 2 others like this.
  19. I'm not saying that this poll is very accurate in its available options to choose from, but are you familiar with the data gathering technique called sampling?

20. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

But that is no secret! Lots of people have said that - myself included. Will probably still get them. In fact, this whole thing reminded me that I wanted to put in my order for the I Robot regular 2X45 in case it was also repressed.

BUT
    We have to call it out and say "MoFi - you are extremely lucky some of us are letting it pass this time - you won't get a second chance". It is more effective to vote with your dollars, agree... and I am guessing if the pattern continues OR if we discover even worse stuff, then they will lose those of us willing to give them a break... that's a one time thing - at most ! There are many people also (as mentioned here) that are jumping ship. That is correct too 100% - THEY HAVE THE RIGHT, and probably that is the correct response.

v

the nightfly and MonkeyTennis like this.
  21. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

if a release has good reviews for its sound quality, and it’s something I’m interested in. I’ll buy it, regardless of the source.

22. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Tucker?

23. LordTazzman

lol. Yes, I'm quite familiar with it. Used on many of the best rap records.

:cool:

marcb and indyalden like this.
  24. Wellsco

Wellsco Forum Resident

the operative word is guess.

25. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I could never afford their vinyl in the first place - but have a few of their SACD's - seemingly now the RIGHT choice made there.

Paying hundreds of dollars for a Santana album seems funny to me - as does the $100 preorder price for Michael Jackson's Thriller