The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

A lovely bloke, i always assumed that what you saw was what you got and felt sorry for him having to endure the infighting.

2. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

@Luckless Pedestrian,
    There’s something very special I think about being a guy with an older sister. I am one, my sister’s three years older than me. They hold a certain edge over us that is not about physical force, emulation or jealousy. It’s emotional, intellectual, mysterious, a glimpse through the door. Whatever they choose to share with us is a treasure, a secret, an honor, a gift, a whisper, something we might’ve never known if not for them. We’re such poor minuscule unsophisticated creatures compared to them, growing up… That was always my experience. Ray has written so many songs from that perspective too. I think that’s the biggest difference between Ray and Dave. Ray defines himself as his many sisters' kid brother. Dave defines himself as Ray’s’ kid brother.

Laura June’s a beautiful name. Evocative in itself. Like all our friends here, I was deeply moved by the words you wrote about her, and extremely touched that you’d share them with us. Thank you for that, my deepest sympathy to you and all around you. We'll hold the thread fort waiting for you to return.

3. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Avid Fortuleo, I also have an older sister, who’s 11 years older than me and born in Poland, although you can’t tell from talking to her since she speaks English w/no accent. She’s the one who introduced me to pop music through her childhood fandom of the Beatles. She’s also very intelligent, sophisticated and frankly I don’t know where I’ll be if she’s not around. I feel for poor Avid Luckless Pedestrian.

4. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Laura June sounds like an amazing woman. What a wonderful legacy. Love and good energy to you and yours.

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yea we seem to be at that time in our lives.... my big sister has some health issues across the other side of the world... my parents have some health issues across the other side of the world .... and life goes on around us, like the clattering of pots and pans in the kitchen of the insane, ever banging and never cooking...

6. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

When You Were A Child.
    Finishing up the album, Think Visual. At last! Yay me!

The initial few seconds of this I'm thinking this is going to be a bad 80s song and I'll have to shut it off half way through, but the song wormed itself into my brain. Really love the "ohhhhOhhhs". And Dave's not over-singing at all. it's nice to hear this vocal.

I liked being a child, so I definitely can relate to the lyrics. I did see the world differently and was filled with hope and confidence in my future. Then adulthood hits and all the sh!t that comes with it...I'd go back to being 10 years old in a second. No question.

I also think some of the lyrics may be speaking to the whole thing that happened with Dave and his girlfriend that he got pregnant in the 60s.
    I believe that we were meant for each other
    We'll get along somehow
    If they leave us alone
    Why don't they let us be
    ...Just what we want to be
    Don't it make you weep, can't you see?

Immediately made me think of the parents getting involved so that Dave and his girlfriend were separated. I think that wound wasn't quite healed.

Think Visual the album
    The other day I actually sat down and gave a letter grade to each song and then averaged it and the album got a solid B from me. "Video Shop" has somehow been a song that will randomly pop into my head. I'm a ska lover (and an ART lover!), so that may be the reason.

Glad I was able to find a reason to love "Rock n Roll Cities". it's dumb fun as someone may have said. I can sometimes appreciate that.

I'd just like to hear these songs without the annoying synth and keyboards that were so popular back then. Addition through subtraction.

7. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Yes indeed. The sister talk got me to thinking about my big sister. She’s 13 years older than me and lives out west. We’ve lost two of our brothers in the last year and we keep up with family decisions, music, film, art and current events mostly via email. It’s been a real comfort for both of us. And this big old world keeps spinning.

8. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

@Luckless Pedestrian, thank you for your eloquent sharing about your sister. Laura June sounds like a remarkable and gifted woman and a treasured positive presence in your life. May your special connection remain unbroken. My condolences to you and your family.

9. Wondergirl

@Luckless Pedestrian I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved sister. She sounded like a well-rounded, vibrant, and lovely person. That would certainly leave a hole in one's world. But sounds like you were blessed to know her.

take care of yourself. xo

10. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

My condolences to you too, @Luckless Pedestrian - your sister sounded like a wonderful person.

11. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

“The Road” – Musically, I am going to refrain from comment to give this more opportunity to burrow into my brain and endear itself. Perhaps @Fortuleo is most on target: whatever its flaws, the feel is right.

Lyrically: As a Beach Boys fan, over the years I have been overexposed to Mike Love Recycling Syndrome (forever inserting song titles from Ye Olde Glory Days into new songs), which Avid @ajsmith referred to, and now have an immediate allergic reaction. Having said that, I’ll grant a band a rear-view nostalgia-fest every 10 years or so (admittedly, some groups can’t wait that long; The Mamas and the Papas had to get “Creeque Alley” out before they imploded). So I enjoy this, and like others I hear it as not so much a whinge as an honest reflection of the past, present and (then-) future good, bad, and ugly of the life he (and others) chose...on the road.

“Destroyer” – Speaking of recycling… I’ve come to realize that I convinced myself I liked this song because it sounded like a later-era Kinks hard rocker that I should like. Thanks to this thread I’ve discovered others that I like much more, so “Destroyer” has become surplus to requirements. The lengthy dialogue here doesn’t help, though asking who's on medication does make me chuckle.

“Apeman” – This has never been my favorite song but I like this more than the studio version. I hadn’t noticed it was shorter, so maybe the reduction in repetition improves it for me.

“Come Dancing” – A decent version.

“Art Lover” – As @mark winstanley mentioned, the pain of shared custody could have made an interesting, unexplored subject for 80s arena rockers. However, Ray couldn’t resist making it edgy, which distracted from, if not killed, the poignancy. Ray’s “Come to Daddy” delivery is not as creepy here as in the studio version, but this song will never be a favorite for me.

EDIT: Thanks for the thoughtful comments about Mrs. Smiler's arm. Tomorrow we find out if she'll be in a splint or cast for 8 weeks; hoping for the former. Either way, I'm afraid our August Colorado trip to escape the Texas heat is probably off. I'll have to live vicariously through my fellow Avids' travels!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  12. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I am sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences. Your sister sounds like she played a role in your life much like my grandmother did in mine. Music is something that guides and informs my entire life. When you lose someone that played an integral role in introducing something that holds that important a role in one’s life, their loss hurts that much more. My heart is with you.

13. mark winstanley

Obviously I don't know Mrs Smiler, but make sure she's a good girl and does what she's supposed to, so she is well healed in 8 weeks :righton:

14. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

Thanks, I am attempting to do just that and fortunately she's been a cooperative patient so far.:righton:

15. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

Creem Backstage (Kinks Edition)

[​IMG]

Ray weighs in on the connoisseur debate over what’s more important: a beer with a full head, or a head with a full beer.

[​IMG]
    Lou Reed wants my stylist’s number in advance of his next album? Done!

[​IMG]
    The competition is getting tighter and tighter?
    No, we have met the enemy, and they are us.

16. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

The Road (studio track)
    This made buying the album on cassette back in 1989 worth the entry price on its own. A great song which builds to greater things. I like that Ray is reminiscing about his past, not with bitterness or complaint, but with affection. The name checks, the song checks all make this into a personal memoir from Ray, without the screening of the song through a 'character'.

One thing that slightly annoys me on the Lost And Found compilation is that the fake applause isn't edited out. It's fine when going into Destroyer on this album, but not when it does the same as the opening track, leading into the studio track UK Jive.

It took me from 1989 until earlier this year to finally get a UK copy of The Road 7" single, a 'double A side' single with the live version of Art Lover as side AA. For many years I didn't believe this single ever existed... Anyway, I'm now the proud owner of a copy, and just lack You Still Want Me to complete my collection of The Kinks, Ray and Dave's UK single releases. I don't imagine I'll ever come across one of those at a price that suits my pocket.

17. mark winstanley

[​IMG]

On Chrissie Hynde: ‘She couldn’t take the sudden fame that had come to her and I think she saw me as someone who had done all that rock ’n’ roll stuff and understood it,' said Ray

Just for fun, because there isn't enough kudos for the beer balancing routine lol

[​IMG]
    Ray Davies balances a beer bottle on his head during the Kinks' set at the Heroes of Rock show in Stuttgart.

18. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Many thanks to everyone for your kind and thoughtful words, I really appreciate it. Looking forward to rejoining the conversation very soon!

19. Wondergirl

No More Mysteries
    I enjoyed this one. It has a country like twang going for it that sounds good to my ears. I'm always a little hesitant to listen to Dave songs...ya never know what you're gonna get. But I think this one delivers.

Wait
    I don't like this one as much. Very atmospheric music, but just not my type of thing. I'm not enjoying his vocals as much, but I didn't mind the high notes he reached during that one part.

I'm still catching up...what album is this from?

20. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Stern! That’s a blast from the past. Haven’t really heard him since he left terrestrial radio. Some of you long-time Stern listeners might remember him talking to Penny Crone (a tv news reporter in New York City from approximately 1980 till 2000 and a frequent guest on his show). He would often call on her to the exclusion of all other reporters when he would have press conferences. He liked to refer to her pants as granny pants. Anyway, that’s my aunt!

21. Wondergirl

Bright Lights
    I guess I'm more acquainted with another version of this song. Edited this to say: i know this song, but couldn't remember from where, but saw someone said it's from UK Jive and i was like "duh". I've been listening to that album a fair bit while driving around. I like the UK Jive version a lot! This version...not so much. I'm hearing Flock of Seagulls in here. Not that that's a bad thing, but that sound had its day and I've moved on. LOL.

22. Wondergirl

Give Something Back
    Are these Dave songs supposed to be demos or what? if so, that's what I'm hearing. Like there's something here, but it needs to be re-worked and maybe shortened/tightened up.

23. Wondergirl

It's not necessarily a bad idea...but an impossible idea.
    I've been examining a lot of Ray videos, pics and recordings from about the last 5 years...and I think he has a progressive illness. Something like Parkinson's. :( He has some of the classic symptoms. Please note: this is only my opinion and I want to be wrong about it...you don't know how much I want to be incorrect. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on a message board. But regardless of what the exact nature of Ray's physical health, it is my opinion there will be no stage reunion. However, I think Ray's mind is as sharp as a tack and I think he'll continue to rummage through his Kinks archives and maybe drop a few nuggets our way occasionally.

24. mark winstanley

Whether it is just aging via a hard rocking lifestyle, or some form of illness, I don't know, but I agree

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can't help but feel they are just far too old to start the band up again after over 25 years, rehearse a set and then take it around the world, or even just the UK and US. I don't want anymore from them, though of course I'd be grateful. I just like seeing them happy and getting along relatively well. Like to just about everyone on this thread, they're musical heroes to me, up there with anyone.

I got to see The Kinks on one of, possibly even their last, UK tours in November 1994 at Redcar Bowl. Playing such a faded venue in a small seaside town just seems so Kinks! They were magnificent. Sadly the venue has gone, but thankfully Ray and Dave are still here. That's enough for me.