Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. I don’t know why people keep saying this unless it’s a convenience issue. My experience is always that the vinyl version , if mastered well and obviously mastered for vinyl , almost always beats out the SACD. Even with a digital step the vinyl sound many of us like comes out on a well pressed record.

Kyhl, Boots71, Plinko and 21 others like this.
  2. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I don’t share that experience, and I have capable turntable equipment.
    Vinyl is the only practical way to hear maximum fidelity in the all analog format (reel to reel is pretty niche) and now we can’t even get that from MoFi, even though we got charged for that rarity for a modern release. Remember, “better” is subjective and sometime conceptual in the audiophile world. It’s ok to have different tastes. It’s about personal enjoyment, no matter what anyone else says.

3. Randy

Randy Never Complain About The A/C On A Private Jet

Forget streaming ... I think it sounds like ****, even with a purportedly very good streamer (e.g., Lumin T2). Last month, I bought a new Denon DCD-A110 Anniversary Edition SACD/CD player that's beautiful looking, is built like a tank, and sounds glorious (quad DACs).

caupina and morinix like this.
  4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well, the Van Halen same title is DSD 256. I would think they would have copied all of the other titles at DSD 256, as well. Mofi isn't using DSD64 for copying anymore, either. However, Mofi has been such a big disappointment, I just can't believe that they would go ahead and do the rest of the catalog AAA.

5. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

I’m not saying Fremer would, will or did. We’ll see. He’s getting to that age where things start slipping. But give the guy a break. He was doing this stuff (pretty well) when most of us were drinking the Napster Cool Aid. I also am not saying Mike E. is a bad guy.

But we seem to think only in absolutes on this forum: Fremer Bad! Mike E. Good!

Come on.

DML71 likes this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Then you should take yourself off of the NO list in the poll.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This statement simply is not true. Again, when did we get to compare analog vs digital? Of course, there are great sounding records that have a digital source, especially titles recorded recently in digital.

Troyh, Guss2, MonkeyTennis and 6 others like this.
  8. Taken yesterday at the Pacific Northwest Audiofest. Me with all this forums fan favorites :tiphat:

[​IMG]

grx8, gfxmla, jgrillo and 31 others like this.
  9. bootbox

bootbox Forum Resident

I'll go one step (lol) further, they'll continue to issue the same old same old, they'll raise their prices, and their records will continue to be nearly impossible to find in stock anywhere. Until they get bored of it or the heat death of the universe, whichever comes first.

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree. I don't want to see Mofi go out of business either. Getting refunds for every record would put Mofi out of business.

Aside from the videos and written statements where Mofi claims they are AAA, there have been best of AAA lists by Fremer, Mike Esposito and others that included Mofi titles. Mofi NEVER issued a correction and this went on for years. You can bet Mofi would have issued a correction if it were the other way around, that reviewers claimed their records were digital, when in fact they were AAA.

11. Randy

Did Fremer have any "insights" about MoFi-Gate that you could share with us?

Satrus and kt66brooklyn like this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This poll is flawed because some voting NO haven't purchased out of pocket any Mofi titles in years, if not at all.

13. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

There are two separate issues here...1) whether MoFi and Jim Davis were duplicitous and deceiving of their customers and lacking in basic ethics, which IMO at this point I believe is established and 2) whether the MoFi business should continue to exist?
    I am of the opinion that MoFi should absolutely continue, but only under new management and CEO along with a far better attitude to their customers. If that is the end result,I think that would be beneficial to all in the a'phile community. If not, then I think their current business model should NOT be rewarded and ultimately they should fail.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

neener neener neener...what a childish mentality you are displaying.
    Bring over some records with the exact same mastering, one digital source and the other analog source, and let's have at it.

Troyh, Dr. Funk, BuyMeVinyl and 3 others like this.
  15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Maybe some can and some cant. Sure would have been nice for someone from the some can group to have spoke out emphatically. Would have saved us 15 yrs of being fooled.

That aside, I dont think one has to have an analogue/digital comparison to be able to hear whether something is digital or analogue.

As I stated earlier, I dont need to lay out my 1987 Abbey Road cd to know there is more bass on the 2009. I know from memory what that 1987 cd sounds like. If digital, and this is a high level of digital with the Mofi's, is indeed an audible aspect of sound that one can hear then ones memory of hearing digital time after time should be zoned in enough to spot it without needing an equivalent analogue example beside the digital example to determine if indeed it is digital.

If one can hear something is burnished, silvery and golden hued..I would think their ears could say "thats digital".

16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Listening to the A.P. Best of Sam Cooke. I know it's digital but man I could certainly never tell if no one told me. I spun Night Beat right before this and didn't think that sounds any better. They're both fantastic!

17. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I am inclined to think you are right about that situation.

18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Great pic!

kt66brooklyn and audiomixer like this.
  19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Some people are clamoring to ridicule others that have been duped by Mofi.

20. Randy

I don't approve of ridiculing anyone; however, there are many in the purist AAA camp who for years have insisted that their One Steps were superior because they were all analog AND they could hear that with their "golden ears." Sometimes, a little ice cream with crow is appropriate.

21. LordTazzman

LordTazzman Forum Resident

Ive seen this off and on in this thread since this broke. But I dont understand this need to come in here and dunk on all analog people like a company being deceptive and unethical is somehow a loss for them and a win for digital people. I think everyone loses with this. MoFi might be the biggest one yet.

Boots71, Twinsfan007, Guss2 and 8 others like this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think there is a nice way to bring up a differing opinion and snarky way. I agree with that. Hopefully, I have been improving in that area.

Might help to just present a differing understanding with just plain speak and no "gotcha" vibes. And snark comes from both sides.

I honestly feel badly for those who are feeling they are being or have been cheated because these arent AAA. Regardless of the reason behind that.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    Boots71, mikedifr0923, DML71 and 2 others like this.
  23. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Acoustic Sounds make better QRP inner sleeves
    You can get them in larger bulk sizes. They are thicker, open easier and don’t retain the static level Mofi does

They also have poly lined sleeves that are nice for records where you don’t have to go all out

Bill Why Man and nightenrock like this.
  24. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I think you should read the post I was replying to. Then you would have a certain idea why I wrote what I did. It’s too easy taking quotes of of context…

John Schofield and mikedifr0923 like this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You guys do realize just because this is a big thread and a topic that the powers that be here realize folks need to vent on that it can be closed, right?

Come on, be a little nicer to each other. It would be a pity to have the thread closed. Take a break if needed.

We all are passionate about sound.