Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I may have to hold off on my pre-order of Elvis, since the Speaker Corners is so well reviewed. I'll have to wait and see I guess.

2. wolfmac

wolfmac Forum Resident

Here's what Steve himself said on this very forum ten years ago:

Digital delays were (are) used by studios that foolishly dismantled their disk cutting rooms in the late 1980s after CD's came in. When they had to build them back up again some studios did a cheap and easy alternative to using a real analog cutting system by cheating and using a digital delay instead of a real mastering tape deck. In essence, when you cut a record on one of these setups you are converting analog to digital and then cutting a digital signal on your lacquer as the cutting head converts it back to analog. Pointless. However if your source is digital already it could work OK I guess.
    Such is life.

3. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

No worries, and agree. No doubt there are unfortunately trolls everywhere.

Regardless of how we feel or have reacted to the behavior, there is no question it is at best extremely misleading and at worst flat out lying. Regardless of where it falls on that spectrum there is no question it’s unethical and hopefully they continue to change their approach and improve.

Mazzy and MonkeyTennis like this.
  4. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

Because of this thread, I picked up a NM copy of Fragile by YES, but the Analogue Productions version, not the MOFI versions, because AP is AAA.

Compared to my first press plum Fragile, the AP version is tighter, better clarity on the high hats and bass, and also lacking in some small amounts of distortion that the original has. Not much in it, but it is better.

In general though I am happy picking up NM originals versus expensive boutique versions costing multiple times more, unless it relates to a very important record to me , as it means I can expand my collection quicker.

As regards digital vs analogue sourcing, for my LPs I want to be the arbiter on this and not deceived by the label. So understanding that is important.

Having said that, I recently, got Friday Music’s The Yes Album 45, which I assume to be digital - not sure , based on the good reviews here and it does indeed sound sublime.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

At a price that better represents the costs and risks associated with the release?

6. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Out of 60+ AP records in my collection not a single one can be described that way.

slasshdork, Elofan, Revolver and 6 others like this.
  7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Or MoFi may possibly be selling more SACDs after this.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    the nightfly likes this.
  8. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I just ordered a Speakers Corner pressing of From Elvis in Memphis. Cost a bit more than I normally spend but waaaay less than the one step would have.

bajaed, highfell, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  9. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Any estimates on the date of the cutoff / crossover from analog mastering to digital yet?
    Ie., when did they start off doing DSD64 (2.8 Mhz) digital vinyl cuts?
    2012? 2013? 2014?? Or was it earlier?

10. thirtycenturyman

thirtycenturyman Forum Resident

Both of the UHQR's I purchased had a lot of surface noise. For the most part, I've been happy with the dozen or so other AP's I've purchased, but have got a few replacements. Most recently, I got a copy of the 45rpm Time Out that had some distortion on Side 1. They sent a replacement disc to me very quickly. Should have done that with the UHQR's, but waited too long.

11. playsFastForward

playsFastForward just as long as he can

Wow!
    No definitely not equivalent, that is a gazillion times worse than what MoFi did!
    MoFi determined that using DSD256 (or even DSD64) could be leveraged to virtually eliminate generational loss, retaining closest possible approximation of the original masters.
    Anyone making SACD's from up-sampled Redbook-CD's is almost techincally doing the opposite of what MoFi brouhaha did. SACD's from upsampled Redbook, that's just pure scam, highway robbery.

Kyhl, OldSoul, the nightfly and 4 others like this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You are one lucky man.

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I needed 3 copies of the UHQR of Kind Of Blue. Aside from that, no issues whatsoever.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Huh? Link to that?

That's far more egregious.

15. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

someone can tell me where MFSL write that a his record is AAA?

16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

If true, it seems odd that nobody seems to care about that

black sheriff likes this.
  17. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I have one AP record in my collection (Roger Waters - Amused to Death). It can be described that way.

18. Joe Stark

Joe Stark "Sad wanker" - Michael Fremer

All my AP records sound great, but if they were noisy I would not hesitate to e-mail Chaddy Cakes about it.

NorthernFusion likes this.
  19. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Yes.
    Likely 2003.

20. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Also, how many people are refraining from voting because they wouldn’t buy them retail from the establishment but would under secondhand circumstances?

black sheriff and Quakerism like this.
  21. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I’m honestly surprised how many say they will continue buying after being lied to. Vinyl Stockholm syndrome. :laugh:

Big Blue, April Snow, warpig and 9 others like this.
  22. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

At about the 42 minute mark of the Mike Esposito video Shawn R Britton mentions he believes the 2008 33rpm Abraxas he did was from DSD.

23. Dougthesnail

Apparently I am. The only issues I had were on the 33 of Skynyrd's Second Helping and Counting Crows, both needed to be replaced due to scratches.

24. Dougthesnail

I might be in for the CSN just because I love the record and only have an original press.

The curiosity of a 2x45 on SuperVinyl sounds like is very alluring.

However, I did cancel $1500 worth of MoFi backorders.

Boots71, audiotom and Wounded Land like this.
  25. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

It really doesn't effect me in anyway since the product quality is not really any worse that I was led to believe. Analog, digital.....it sounds good and that is what I'm paying for.