Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Jerms

Jerms Forum Resident

I was always surprised that MCA never issued Olivia’s cover of “Jolene” as a single. Dolly hadn’t crossed over to the pop market just yet so I doubt her version wasn’t widely recognized outside of the country market as it is today. I believe Olivia was the first artist to cover what’s gone on to be Dolly’s most-covered song. The first time I heard it was on Olivia’s HBO concert when I was five and when I saw Dolly’s HBO special later I remember asking why she was singing “Olivia’s song” LOL

leicbri, Song4U, KJTC and 1 other person like this.
  2. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I always wondered how she was able to perform Jolene throughout the Physical tour and not lose her voice. I also wondered on all the dates that were not filmed she she always perform that song live or did she lip sync to a prior vocal? That’s some amazing vocal work.

leicbri, vivresavie and KJTC like this.
  3. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

At that point in her career, MCA was struggling to keep ONJ on the radar in both the country and pop market. “Let it Shine” and “Come On Over” had done significantly better on the country charts than the pop charts, a reversal from earlier hits like “I Honestly Love You,” “Have You Never Been Mellow,” and even “Please Mr. Please.” Releasing “Jolene” as an all- format single in America simply wasn’t an option. It was Parton’s biggest hit up until that point (much bigger than “I Will Always Love You,” which sold far less than “Jolene”), and ONJ’s version wasn’t likely to get traction at country radio. I think this is why they moved on so quickly to Don’t Stop Believin’ and recorded that set in Nashville. Ironically, it was the album that got her back on track at pop radio with “Sam” and signaled the end of her run at country radio:
    1. Don’t Stop Believin’ - #14 country, #33 pop
    2. Every Face Tells a Story - #21 country, #55 pop
    3. Sam - #40 country, #20 pop
    Moving forward, she’d only impact the country singles chart in a significant way with “Hopelessly Devoted to You” (#20) and “Dancin’ Round and Round” (#29.) She was still seen as enough of a core genre act for Totally Hot to be included on the Country Albums chart, making it all the way to #4 on that listing. That album wouldn’t have been eligible for that listing under later chart rules.

From Physical to The Rumour, MCA largely abandoned the multi-format approach that they’d used for ONJ, focusing entirely on the pop market and making only two significant pushes at AC: “Take a Chance” and “The Best of Me.”

In my opinion, the biggest mistake the label made during the eighties was abandoning the AC format. She was a core artist at AC more than she ever was at pop or country radio. They could’ve pushed “Stranger’s Touch” as an AC single while promoting “Heart Attack” and gone with “Emotional Tangle” and “Walk Through Fire” as B-sides to “Soul Kiss” and “The Rumour” targeting AC radio play. Putting all the eggs in the most fickle format basket was an unforced error.

jeremylr and leicbri like this.
  4. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

She did lose her voice on the Physical tour and was still recovering at the time of the HBO special. I suspect that was the reason “Have You Never Been Mellow” wasn’t used in the special, either because she didn’t perform it at all or the recordings from both nights weren’t strong enough to be included.

Song4U likes this.
  5. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Exactly! :agree: A sweet song, and a very sexy video. I think Carried Away would have fit right in to the 'Magic' vibe that hard worked so well post-Grease. Although I love the 81-83 period in particular, they really should have done more to keep her more ballad-friendly audience happy on the singles front.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  6. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Same here. I think Jolene would have been a fun single release had they released the 1982 live shows as an album. I like the version on Come On Over, but the slightly higher energy version on that 1982 live show is :yikes::love:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

It was a bizarre choice, wasn't it? Carried Away would have worked well with AC, too.

And given that Take A Chance did well on the AC charts as as the flip side to Twist of Fate in the States, isn't it odd that they didn't put Shaking You on the flip of Livin' In Desperate Times? They seemed intent on still pushing the Physical tracks as b-sides, which was bizarre since that album had already more than paid for itself in sales and profile.

In the UK, we got the live version of Jolene on the b-side of Twist Of Fate. Take A Chance was a standalone single that got zero promotion given the failure, by that point, of the movie - such a waste given this was a duo that had ratcheted up 16 weeks at No.1 on the UK charts with their previous two singles!

The Right Moment could have done well on AC formats too, I guess. And The Rumour as an album was probably more primed for AC interest than anything else.

There seemed to be this mania with pushing Olivia as a core pop act that could compete with Madonna and Tina Turner and Cher - they kept trying between 85 and 92 when it was clearly NOT working. The cover of Soul Kiss - striking though it is - is clearly trying to remind people of Madonna's Like A Virgin cover, and the hair is pure Tina.

She probably could have at least played in the middle-reaches of the same territory, if they had kept her AC profile up and given her a much needed boost from that direction.

The choice to abandon AC is one of several factors that conspired to create the spectacular commercial nosedive we saw from 85 onwards.

Bobby Morrow and KJTC like this.
  8. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I’ll never understand why they cut “Mellow.” Besides being a huge hit, I thought it was the highlight of the show.

KJTC likes this.
  9. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I wonder if it was to do with the more upbeat image they were trying to project at the time? DTTN is a high-energy opener, and they possibly wanted to maintain that on the televised special. Mellow is a bit… well, mellow.

The version I first saw on TV here in the U.K. was even more high energy. They cut the country medley entirely, so we went from DTTN to Jolene!

(They also cut Suddenly and - strangely - Hopelessly Devoted.)

KJTC likes this.
  10. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

The HBO special also cut out the “Promise” interlude. I guess the question is whether HYNBM, INFY, and Promise interlude were part of the Ogden shows and not included in the broadcast, or just not sung at all those two nights. I could understand recovering from illness for cutting HYNBM, but I can’t imagine that she could sing “Jolene” and “Sam” but not a snippet of “If Not For You.”

It took a bootleg finally leaking of another Physical Tour show for me to even believe she sang INFY and Mellow on that tour, so ingrained is the HBO set list in my mind.

11. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

And she sounds good on them on that bootleg. (I wonder if it's the same one where, when she reappears after 'The Promise' and asks the audience, "did you enjoy the dolphins?" some wag in the audience can be heard, faintly, shouting "No!" :D)

But I guess INFY would be an easy one to drop for the American market, and HYNBM may have slowed the pace too much for a dynamic TV special.

I've heard reports from fans that she also sang Totally Hot and Landslide at at least one show each - but that's never been officially verified.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Interesting article here on the Physical Tour, from an audio engineer who was part of the crew: On The Road Blog

Of particular interest is the revelation of a rather different-looking proposed set list. I have to say, I'm glad they made the changes they did! I think it shows they were keen to emphasise the more 'modern/current' Olivia, without *too* much reference back to her country-pop era.

1. A Little More Love
    2. Have You Never Been Mellow
    3. Come On Over
    4. Don't Stop Believin'
    5. Country Medley
    6. Jolene
    7. Sam
    8. Xanadu
    9. Stranger's Touch (video - while Olivia changes costume)
    10. Magic
    11. Suddenly
    12. Deeper Than The Night
    13. Silvery Rain
    14. Pony Ride
    15. The Promise (video - while Olivia changes costume)
    16. Hopelessly Devoted To You
    17. Landslide
    18. Make A Move On Me
    19. You're The One That I want (Olivia changes costume)
    20. Physical (possibly with video)
    21. I Honestly Love You

Rosewater, KJTC and Bobby Morrow like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

The only time I ever saw her sing Landslide live was on Saturday Night, erm, Live in 1982. She made a great job of it too.

leicbri and KJTC like this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Did anyone still want Pony Ride in 1982? I’m thinking not.:D

leicbri and KJTC like this.
  15. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I'm not sure how many wanted it in 1976, but we got it anyway! :biglaugh:

Rosewater and Bobby Morrow like this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

I suppose the song aged quite well. I mean, I’m not sure the fans who came for the likes of Make A Move On Me would have been thrilled, but it would fit better in the concert than, say, Something Better To Do, which would have been quite jarring in 1982.:winkgrin:

leicbri likes this.
  17. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

They did well to create a set list that gave a flavour of her earlier material but situated her very much as a modern pop star.

It's fascinating to think what her 1992 concert set list might have been. I guess they could have kept to largely the same template, adding in Twist of Fate and Soul Kiss (her only significant hits not included in the 1982 shows) plus at least a couple of the new songs... and The Rumour, maybe?

It's sort of odd that none of the Back To Basics prep materials popped up in any of her online auctions. I mean, she was about to go into rehearsals - so they MUST have come up with a draft set-list at least. Would have loved to see that!

KJTC and Bobby Morrow like this.
  18. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Well, it looks like the next Primary Wave Deluxe Edition info has been announced! (Or rather, has leaked…)

If Not For You double CD

https://www.roughtrade.com/us/olivia-newton-john/if-not-for-you

“Disc 1 features the original 1971 album, including “Me and Bobby McGee” (Kris Kristofferson). Disc 2 features 17 bonus tracks, including B- sides, alternate takes, and 2 previously unreleased recordings, “Round and Round,” and “Game of Love.” This record showcases her first work with longtime collaborator and hit songwriter/producer John Farrar.”

19. Bobby Morrow

How wonderful. Thanks for sharing this.

I’m hoping The Biggest Clown is on there!

Song4U, Rosewater and leicbri like this.
  20. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

I still this love listen to this song, but it wouldn't be perfect for the setlist for her 1982 concerts.

leicbri and Bobby Morrow like this.
  21. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

Wow this is fantastic news i was just thinking about it today what the next release will be, i hope "The Biggest Clown" is on the 17 bonustracks list too.

Song4U, leicbri and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

Me too, this is one of the few songs i'm dreaming about to own it on a cd release.

Song4U, KJTC and Bobby Morrow like this.
  23. SCan

SCan Well-Known Member

What an interesting - and obscure - find! I was hoping this would have been done last year to coincide with the album's 50th anniversary. But, better late than never!

I'm curious whether both the CD and vinyl versions will have identical tracklistings depending on how long the tracks on Disc 2 are. Just so much space on a vinyl record versus a compact disc. I expect "The Biggest Clown," "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye" and "Will You Follow Me" will be among the Disc 2 tracks. This is the first time I have heard about those unreleased recordings. Just when you think we have a full list of everything Olivia has ever recorded....

KJTC and leicbri like this.
  24. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

It says the preorders are already sold out for the 2 LP set. Lol

There is no way 17 bonus songs will fit on 1 LP since the other LP will be the main album. Unless there 2 min songs lol

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

The If Not For You album is about 38 minutes long, so it’s doubtful