Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

:laugh::uhhuh::biglaugh:

2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I've noticed a little bit of revisionist history about previously very well regarded MFSL titles, many of which were definitive versions around a month ago. They're certainly not perfect, can be hit or miss on some titles, but they've done very well on certain artists. I have a boat load of Bob Dylan, original pressings in NM condition, you name it. The MFSL 45's are the best those albums have sounded. Dire Straits titles, same thing. Definitive versions, absolutely. Santana Abraxas One Step I've unfortunately never heard but most people say it's jaw dropping, mind-blowing, ridiculous level sound quality. I do also think the self titled Santana 45rpm edges out an original although perhaps it is close. The Miles Davis 45rpms are generally incredible although I know Kind of Blue catches some flack. I voted yes, however, I'm certainly not as interested in the One Steps versus slightly more affordable (preferably 45rpm) titles. I have three One Steps on preorder and still maybe 50/50 on whether I'd cancel. I already have fantastic versions of Sketches of Spain, Something Else, and Bitches Brew. It's a tough call on whether to spend $400 on some new music versus "maybe" having upgraded versions.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What Beatles album would deserve the One-Step treatment?

4. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I don't think so, but Friday Music's Chicago vinyl are really good.
    They may (or may not) be fully analog, but they sound as good, if not better, than the originals.

Guss2 and mikedifr0923 like this.
  5. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I voted Yes But No One-Step offerings but to be honest, I haven’t bought any of those anyway. Also, the vast majority of my MOFI purchases have been SACDs so I am not exactly the target demo for this thread regardless. I do buy vinyl, just not usually MOFI vinyl.

6. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

Start about the middle of this thread. Within 10 pages or so you should come across discussion (your question has been asked multiple times). Alternatively, check out PoetryOnPlastic’s YouTube channel - he summarises it all there.

7. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Sure, I'm pissed MoFi lied to me. I would never have introduced the transition to DSD the way they did it. If they had to use a DSD copy of the master tape because (1) it was the only way they could get many master tapes, and (2), that made One-Step work, then sell the concept to me. Let me know what's up. Tell me why this is a good thing.

That doesn't change the fact MoFi often makes some damn nice sounding LPs.

I will handle my future relations regarding MoFi with something I posted hundreds of pages ago:

Life is easier when you learn to accept the apology you never get.

8. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I brought it up once initially and since then have been responding to replies to my comments.

9. bigtail

bigtail Senior Member

I did cancel $1500 worth of MoFi backorders...mostly one-steps...

10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Maybe my tune will change with time... but there is a LOT of music I'm interesting in acquiring out there. And there are a lot of labels. And there are a lot of second hand stores.

Will MOFI miss my business? No. Will I run out of music if I don't give MOFI my business? No.

I guess time will tell if MOFI releases an absolutely must-have... but given their tendency to largely play it safe with their catalogue, I'm not holding my breadth...

Big Blue, Merrick, patient_ot and 3 others like this.
  11. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Unlikely, but if that's all that remains of a given title then, yes.

12. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

To me, MoFi lost credibility many years ago when they started selling records sourced from newly made remixes under the banner "Original Master Record". I thought it was deceptive and not what I consider an original master.

13. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

I paid attention to the all analog crowd and what they deemed as the best sounding versions. Sometimes that was MoFi….but apparently often with a digital step. I buy the best regarded but yet most budget friendly version of a title I can….digital or otherwise.

That has meant MoFi didn’t meet my needs. So , I didn’t buy MoFi in the past and there are other more transparent companies selling the same titles. This sad incident has done nothing to sell me on becoming a MoFi customer even if my discretionary pocket happened to expand.

Bill Why Man and Big Blue like this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Reread your posts. With the exception of one, you keep bringing it up gratuitously to put down others. Don't hide from your own posts which are far from subtle.

We now return you to your regular programming. :)

15. Strat-Mangler

I remember reading that the files are stored but the label has to pay extra to have a new transfer done. Of course, different rules for different labels but I thought this was interesting.

16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

No, many of us decide on what sounds good, and many of the MOFI’s sound better that other available pressings.

17. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

There is no one step treatment, is there?

Shpongle and MonkeyTennis like this.
  18. mocaw

mocaw Well-Known Member

I think the most interesting thing I've learned from this thread is that there are a LOT of people who don't care if their vinyl is digital or not. That's not only good news for MoFi but for all the labels. I'm all for people buying physical media for whatever reason they want.

But for me personally, I don't see the point in buying digital vinyl. If the music is digital, then I'll take it on CD, SACD, FLAC, whatever. If I'm gonna take a record out of a sleeve, clean it, flip it over, wipe the dust off the stylus, tolerate surface noise, etc, I'd being doing it because it's an analog experience. Not because analog is better but because it's different.

rofffe, bajaed, the nightfly and 14 others like this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

Sure, there is; the (cheaper) plating process.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I get it. When I was younger I had a very attractive girlfriend at one point. Then she cheated on me. I didn't care how attractive she was anymore. But hey-- that was my choice.

If MOFI suddenly decided to release Fairport Convention's early catalogue or something equally enticing... I'd fold on my principles. But I don't see that happening.

Big Blue and audiotom like this.
  21. heartbroken_poet

heartbroken_poet Forum Resident

DSD are hardly editable. So it's pretty clear that they also converted the files to PCM for cleaning, editing, etc. and then reconverted to DSD or just cut the records from PCMs . So it has became a One (Million) Step(s)

soundquality and audiotom like this.
  22. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

This is wise, but I'd add that adopting that mindset doesn't necessarily mean that one continues on as if nothing happened. IOW, transcending the expectation of or need for an apology doesn't necessarily equate to continuing to do business with MFSL, and terminating one's relationship with MFSL doesn't necessarily equate to a failure to achieve that transcendence.

23. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Good choice. I believe the Friday Music version from 2012 or so was cut by Kevin Gray. I'm not certain if it's digital or analog. I do not know who cut the recent limited Music On Vinyl version (probably digital). I'm not certain who cut the Speakers Corner. Probably an original European tape (copied back in 1968 from original master)

24. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Not even worth it to discuss. Shawn Britton travelled to Abbey Road Studios for the Dire Straits work and was completely shutdown by EMI staff to even look at the Beatles tapes, not even through a glass window LOL.

Kyhl, indyalden, JFSebastion and 7 others like this.
  25. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Wow 15,000 posts in 2 weeks yet I see no news articles on MoFi's deception.

If the press and/or general public seems to not care, will MoFi just continue doing what they do unaware they have upset customers? I know some will stop buying their products, but is anybody here going to do anything proactively now to get MoFi to issue a statement or acknowledge fault?