Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Neither me.
    Yes !
    Yes again !
    :righton:

the nightfly, bigtail and NicoRock like this.
  2. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident

Are yall still preordering the MJ Triller one step? Can somebody direct me to a hi quality pressing of thriller that is available now?

3. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Umm... A Statement from Mobile Fidelity Regarding Our Mastering Process

4. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I agree with you full analog is almost always preferred but the monkey wrench is the rare case where the digital vinyl (due to the mastering choices, equipment, voodoo magic, 45rpm...etc.) beats the other previously released analog versions. Also, many times digital vinyl does sound better (on my system) than the other formats you listed so while digital is not the preferred choice for vinyl I'd still take a nice MOV title over a compressed cd.

Big Blue and nightenrock like this.
  5. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Why are people saying MoFi should offer DSD downloads
    Multiple times according to the MoFi engineers in the In Groove interview.

6. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I am too.....Paying $100-$125 for a digitally cut record is way over market price.

7. echauhan

echauhan Active Member

original 1982 US pressing of Thriller that does NOT have MJ listed with co producer credits, is the best version I have, compared to an original Japanese pressing and 2016 repress/remaster.

8. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

We maybe should consider the fact that there are a number of retailers who are now selling records ( Target, Walmart, etc.,) who are selling digital files pressed to vinyl. The unsuspecting consumers, usually young folks, are assuming that they are involving themselves in the analog experience. To some extent, they are, as the record has to be physically played etc., BUT I do question how many of these very same folks know that they are really playing a version of a CD on their turntable! Not in any way condoning the practice, but it is something that the record industry, and the retail industry, seems to have no problem with. Albeit, we are not talking of the same pricing structure or false advertising that MoFi engaged in, but still…..

the nightfly likes this.
  9. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Umm = how do you not read all 15,000 posts?- I know I know - didn't get a chance. Thanks for the help. I read the statement and it's all about the future to get people to not remember that they should receive some sort of compensation for the past, so I will alter my question.

Is anybody here going to seek compensation for being intentionally/unintentionally manipulated and duped for years?

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've already mentioned it, but there is only one track on "Thriller" that didn't get released on a 45 rpm 12", so if sound quality is your primary concern buy the 12" singles, should still cost less than the MoFi, are AAA and sound fantastic.

11. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I've now received a reply to my message to MOFI on Facebook: "Hello. [​IMG] We’ve since released a statement and added source info to the product listings on our website."

12. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

To be fair, the file needs to be remastered to an extent when cut to vinyl. We also don’t know if the CD is a source, the file that the CD was mastered from or something else. Often a vinyl cut of a digitally recorded album will breath the CD, IME.

Big Blue likes this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looking through a glass onion. Pity. The old MFSL got carte blanche in the eighties.

14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

For the early Fairports just get the Island pink I’s they sound great.

lucan_g likes this.
  15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im not surprised either way. People are freaked out by these being digital/lieing..so they are done. Others are more leaning towards the understanding that nothing has changed with the sound of the Mofi product. The ones they own didnt suddenly become "digtitally unlistenable" nor will future ones. Many did, do and will still consider some of the Mofi's the best sounding that these albums have ever sounded.

One group its an ethical thing, the other group its a sound thing. And then there are subtleties in between of the two extremes.

Your comment is what I was talking about earlier. Its not helpful, it incites and really serves no purpose.

Kyhl, SAMAUL, the nightfly and 3 others like this.
  16. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

To me it was not a statement, more of a press release! A couple of lines in... Moving forward, blah! blah! blah!

JG

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

If youve never bought any if the One Steps then you should not have voted. This was a poll for "still buying" or "wont be buying anymore".

Most likely many have done the same in the poll. Which is one reason the poll is not very accurate probably.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    the nightfly likes this.
  18. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I havent been intentionally putting anyone down. Already explained this in a previous post. Sorry if that is how you took it. I even used the term "For Me" (or something similar) several times.

Unfortunately, I cant control people reading between the lines when there is nothing between the lines to read.

the nightfly likes this.
  19. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Gee sorry.

mpayan likes this.
  20. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Now I think that was really bad analogy. On the other hand if you found out her parents were cheating…. ;)

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sorry, not meaning to pick on you. Most likely many have done this. I didnt mean to imply you were purposely being naughty. I can understand how people overlook this.

Heck, no telling how many of the votes are from folks who have never even bought a Mofi product period.

TommyTunes, hutlock and mikedifr0923 like this.
  22. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Completely agreed. All that one-liner means is I don't get hung up on things I cannot change. Instead, I accept them as incomplete and unresolved.

mikedifr0923 and thrivingonariff like this.
  23. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

It incites? :laugh: I expressed surprise that people don't care from an ethical standpoint. For those that aren't ethically bothered, I hardly think they will be bothered by a post from a person whose opinion on these issues matters very little (i.e., myself).

The things that are really worth getting incited about are the things we can't discuss on this board. Which I've come to appreciate is one of the nice things about this place.

24. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Good point and totally unfortunate really. If you're just getting into vinyl the best advice is to certainly seek out older pressings. They almost always win unless it's an audiophile label reissue.

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yep, inciteful. Nothing you said in that post was anything other than poking bears.

Its the same thing that those who are being made fun of with "Haha! See I told yall! You cant hear digital!"

Not cool no matter how you want to justify it. But you do you.

mikedifr0923 likes this.