Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I have not canceled mine.

2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'm poking a bear by expressing surprise that people aren't voting more in accord with principle? Not cool? Please help me out. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I really don't understand what is problematic with that post. It's my personal surprise when looking at the poll. Isn't that the point of a poll for us to look at and reflect upon?

edit. And to be clear -- I'm not rushing out to sell my mofi. I pretty much enjoy everything I've bought from them. Nor am I a AAA fetishist. I just don't like being lied to.

izgoblin and Big Blue like this.
  3. Don K.

Don K. Well-Known Member

The pros at the labels for sure know when they’re (not) dealing with honorable business partners. If you can’t trust them … you don’t. That’s why i never do business with criminals and will never buy an Infidelity - Product again. Secondhand Pre-1998-CDs excluded, of course.

Wounded Land and alexpop like this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Dude, nvm. If you dont see it, then I cant help you see the obvious.

5. Don K.

Don K. Well-Known Member

Stockholm again. And rightly so.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sheet that bad.

7. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

I'm ok with playing a vinyl version of a CD provided the digital files were never compressed. Not sure if there's a way to confirm or prove whether files were ever compressed though??

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  8. Don K.

Don K. Well-Known Member

No decent album deserves any treatment by The Great Pretenders. But people who, in this very thread, ask this question deserve everything they get from the Infidelity Scam Labs.

9. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

You should add the fourth choice "NO to all MoFi releases with the exception of One-Step titles."

10. mikedifr0923

Agreed. There are numerous records I have bought that are the same master as the CD I also own, but the record sounds much better since it hasnt been compressed or limited like the CD.

JFSebastion likes this.
  11. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Which everything ultimately is, despite our tendency/need to think otherwise.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If the poll results on this thread are to be considered meaningful, then MFSL is in a whole world of trouble. It suggests that 2/3 of their target audience is done with OneSteps, and about 40% of their target audience is done with the company as a whole. For a niche company like MFSL, those are dark omens, indeed--if the poll results are meaningful. That said, I'm guessing that there are a lot of people who are voting against MFSL right now who will get back on the train after they cool off. So it will be interesting to see what actually happens.

13. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Trying to figure out how many options needed to poll SH.tv members about MOFI:

[​IMG]

Kyhl, hutlock, TwiceFan and 6 others like this.
  14. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Ha! I see what you did!
    Right now there are 846 votes with 364 "won't buy votes", that's around 43% not 0.77%.

Now if there were 62,000 votes in the poll your math would not be quite as goofy.
    I could of course be wrong ... ;)

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  15. mikedifr0923

Nope this makes perfect sense. Need to extrapolate the findings from the sample to the full population (I was an auditor in a previous life :D)

spencer1 and thrivingonariff like this.
  16. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'd assume this has been fairly common since at least the 90's. I'm sure that even indie labels have done this as standard practice.

mark winstanley and mikedifr0923 like this.
  17. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I think you're giving the people who are buying vinyl from Walmart/Target/etc WAY too much credit in the amount of thought they're putting into it.

The majority of those people have probably listened to those records MAYBE once. They're buying it as something to have on display more than anything. And of the people who are playing it, think about how many of those people 1) Would even understand what you're talking about, 2) Would notice any kind of difference whatsoever, and 3) Care about it.

I bet if you randomly asked 100 people coming out of Target buying vinyl how the music actually gets "on" to that record, a very good amount of them would give an answer along the lines of "I'm not sure, but it probably has something to do with computers."

I know it's hard for a lot of people here to accept, but the overwhelming majority of the population doesn't care about this stuff lol.

Big Blue and mpayan like this.
  18. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Were you "Mr Popularity" in a previous life? :D

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  19. mikedifr0923

I was the king (in my own little inner circle :cool:)

Most people would be surprised at how much that environment was the opposite of stereotypes.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    utahusker likes this.
  20. Rareplaten

Rareplaten Well-Known Member

This sounds like it will be some kind of punishment.

MonkeyTennis and Joe Stark like this.
  21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Yes indeed so. If the poll numbers are representative of the intentions of all their repeat customers, their revenue is going to take a hit they will feel.
    PS- I was an auditor for the first few years of my career. :righton:

22. Frankly, I must say that I find the furious assertions that "It'S nOt AbOuT aNaLoGuE vErSuS dIgItAl!" somewhat disingenuous, in that underlying the reason people are outraged that "ThEy LiEd To Us!!!" is the assumption that there is a crucial, almost existential difference between analogue and digital, to the point where including even one digital step is enough to significantly degrade the product below what was promised. If the analogue-versus-digital matter was really unimportant, the outrage would be akin to someone wanting to sue their mechanic into bankruptcy for using Pennzoil 20W-40 instead of Quaker State 20W-40 in their car's most-recent oil change.

jonj, Kyhl, Fizzle and 4 others like this.
  23. fried

fried Forum Resident

And apparently the drugs don't work

24. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I have thousands of records and, to be honest, I don't care much about it. I understand why folks who buy from MoFi care but the fact that nobody even seemed to notice for seven years speaks volumes.

dheath, Jam757, Firehead and 3 others like this.
  25. So the dude that runs MD is a great guy and the MoFi mastering engineers just kept the DSD sourcing of supposed AAA remasters under wraps for about TWO DECADES on their own volition? :wtf: :unhunh: GIVE ME A BREAK!