Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Still no update since last thursday.
    From now on i will post an UPDATE only if at least one non-updated album has been updated.

Good evening, or good afternoon folks.
    And stay safe.
    :)

jriems, tdcrjeff, ggergm and 11 others like this.
  2. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

They were mastering from copies, not the original master recordings as advertised. Doesn’t matter if those copies were analog or digital. It was a big old lie of omission. The fact that they hid this for so long and are now apologizing and being more transparent tells us all we need to know.

BuyMeVinyl, Vic Trola, DaveyF and 5 others like this.
  3. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

Kinda rude with the goofy spelling. I buy tons of digitally sourced vinyl and like it. I listen to more digital than vinyl. But your comparison makes no sense. What if the mechanic charged you a premium price for your oil and then used the cheaper kind? I mean, the car still runs, right? Doesn't MoFi have a responsibility to its customers to deliver what it says it will deliver?

Vic Trola, Revolver, Big Blue and 8 others like this.
  4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

529 big time No's so far.
    Let's assume those folks bought on the average, three One Steps a year at $375. That is a total of almost $200K dollars a year. That is not exactly chump change assuming their revenue is less than $5M/year. They will take notice just from the change is sales from the customers on this forum alone. That is of course unless those No's give in and start buying again. :D

BuyMeVinyl and mark winstanley like this.
  5. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

It’s worse we probably all know some audiophiles that would buy two copies in order to sell one to fund their own expensive copy. That logic is probably over with now…

Guss2, bigtail, bluesfan and 3 others like this.
  6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Plus what else is your mechanic doing deceptively?
    I think in this case I would probably go to a different mechanic.

7. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Which might make some reticent to buy, essentially rendering them as None Steps

heartbroken_poet and MonkeyMan like this.
  8. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

Like the Dead Kennedys said:

Trust your mechanic to mend your car
    Bring it in to his garage
    He tightens and loosens a few spare parts
    One thing's fixed, another falls apart
    And the rich eat you

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

What’s the difference between the master for the first stereo mix & the second stereo mix being called “original” and the masters for mono & stereo mixes being called “original”?

IIRC, it’s not as though they hid that the Lennon’s were remixes.

audiotom and mikedifr0923 like this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Is it really “pretty clear” they converted to PCM? :shrug:

Kyhl likes this.
  11. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

If that's true, then all the Sinatras are DSD 64
    SACD files pressed to vinyl.
    That is enough to motivate me to sue them for fraud and misrepresentation.

BuyMeVinyl likes this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Even if you take a very conservative look at the (unscientific) poll here, as small of a drop in sales of, say, 10% would have a significant impact on their revenues. Or pretty much anybody’s.

MFSL has already issued a statement.

WilliamWes likes this.
  13. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Thats #1,
    There are still several question marks, my next one would did they actually had access to most original tapes to painstakingly digitize them or did they get a USB stick?

14. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Yes I'm sure some here won't continue buying and it will hurt MoFi some, but it seems lately in life, any time I think everybody's in the same boat and they'll get along, they find a way of dividing and turning on each other like people in the boat are to blame.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I haven’t bought much MFSL in the last 4-5+ years because IMO the value wasn’t there. I may still buy some stuff, but one thing I know is this episode isn’t going to help tip the scales into the “buy” direction.

I’m not sure I get your boat analogy. Why would anybody but MSFL (and perhaps any “conpirators” be to blame for anything?

16. Cjb2233

Cjb2233 Forum Resident

It's kind of funny. Van Halen 1984 one step page says in 2 places mastered from the original master tapes then it says mastering source to be determined later. Seems they continue to want to be slippery about all this.

izgoblin and patient_ot like this.
  17. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I'm saying 15,000 posts could have been time spent on trying to get compensation for being taken advantage of instead of innocent forum members getting angry at other innocent forum members. Nobody here is to blame.

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. warpig

warpig Senior Member

I wanted this one really bad also. I do have some nice copies. More than likely I will just hang with them. Really trying to refrain from purchasing MOFI for the time being. I believe in forgiveness but my problem is that MOFI did it for so long and they knew they were deceiving people the whole time.

Vic Trola, Wounded Land and ParloFax like this.
  19. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

I think it also matters that the copy used was digital.

20. HappyFunMiles

HappyFunMiles Forum Resident

Or like promising synthetic - and charging synthetic oil prices - but using regular.

I just want my vinyl to sound fabulous - and ironically, the only One Step I ever bought was The Nightfly - knowing full well it was originally recorded digital. Knowing that MF left that digital step out of their marketing feels disingenuous.

Big Blue likes this.
  21. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Britton, Wunderlich and LoVerde had already started to work on DSD and its integration in the vinyl process late 90s, BEFORE Jim Davis and MD acquired MoFi.

22. Darren McLeod

Darren McLeod Well-Known Member

I sold my Nimbus pressing of Desperado and got a one step of the same and a chunk of change. The one step was a huge let down after the Nimbus. Wish I haven't let it go.

AnalogJ and audiotom like this.
  23. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

MoFi still hasn't updated the page of Clapton's Unplugged, which is sold-out for a long time now...

Joe Stark likes this.
  24. It's simple math:

A+d=d

...where A is analog and d is digital.

25. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

“Others”? Who are these “others” you speak of sir?