Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

See post # 14532

2. Joe Stark

Joe Stark "Sad wanker" - Michael Fremer

Deleted, thanks

3. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

What's with the ransom-note style? Anyway.....This is a mischaracterization of the argument. Those who are objecting to what MFSL has done are not saying that the analog-versus-digital-source issue is totally irrelevant to their objection; they're saying that regardless of whether there is a difference in sound quality between digital and analog that can be reliably detected and proven to exist, they believe that AAA generally sounds better to them, they wanted AAA, they were led to believe they were getting AAA, they should have gotten AAA, they didn't get AAA, and so there's the problem---they were deceived.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  4. Britt in VA

Britt in VA Forum Resident

Do we know whether the original recording of Clapton Unplugged was digital to begin with or not? It was recorded in front of a live studio audience in 1992 for MTV. Seems to me it could have been digital to begin with.

5. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

MFSL should drop the prices $10-$20, on the One-Steps and the regular MFSL lps, to make it right for their loyal customers.
    MoFi would still make enough profit. Forum members, what's your opinion on this?

SME12A, Firehead and Rose River Bear like this.
  6. emailists

emailists Forum Resident

thanks for this insight. I seem to remember having a couple of Nimbus releases and will check which ones I have.

7. Britt in VA

FulhamTarheel and mikedifr0923 like this.
  8. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Just got round to watching the In Groove guy interviewing the three MoFi guys. I wasn’t impressed with them at all. I thought they were disrespectful at the start, trying to make wise cracks to deflect from the questions being asked. Passing the question on to a different person to answer and just coming across as insincere. I think they looked uncomfortable.

9. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

I’m seeing lots of posts that seem to suggest this is a post 2015 issue. I’ve got Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On and Let’s Get It On MoFis. Both are way pre 2015 so can I assume these are AAA?

10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

That seems fair.
    Or maybe a gift certificate for those loyal customers?

Chemguy likes this.
  11. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

No, it is looking more like MOFI have been using digital in their "All Analog" chain since 1998... possibly even earlier.

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

There's nothing disingenuous about it. The attempts to continue to frame this as an analog vs. digital argument are simply thinly veiled attempts to deflect blame from MoFi to the consumers who are unhappy with MoFi's misrepresentation of their product, trying to pretend that the "golden ears crowd" getting "owned" is somehow more significant than a company charging super-premium prices for products which were clearly not as advertised.

I used to think that all the Rhino LPs that say "Cut from the original analog masters" were all AAA. I no longer think that is the case, but I've never for a moment felt cheated by Rhino because their albums were never represented as super-premium, limited edition top shelf product.

MoFi charged up to $125 for LPs and even their non-One Steps were priced higher than most other LPs on the market, because they are supposed to be the top-shelf 25-year old Single Malt of LPs.

And one of the selling points was that their LPs are straight from the master tape and cut with an all analog chain. People work hard to point out the wiggle room in their PR, but most people thought that they were not getting DSD-sourced LPs for $125.

To turn that around on the consumer, and suggest that it's all "fake outrage" from people who are "embarrassed that they couldn't tell the difference between analog and digital" is the real disingenuous position here.

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Rhino albums back in the day were indeed all AAA.

14. dkmonroe

I'll certainly take your word for it.

BuyMeVinyl, HappyFunMiles and wwright like this.
  15. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Well, they're not really in public relations...2 of them don't speak much on camera... and humor is sometimes a way to deal with nervousness.
    And we don't know how much pressure management put on them. This is a big deal for MoFi.

Kyhl and Shpongle like this.
  16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'm beyond "I don't care" - if they sound good, they're good. That's it. The provinence of where that "they sound good" comes from, I couldn't care less.

I do care rather more that to get some of these recordings, they seem to think that handing over the best part of two hundred notes for yet another copy of Blonde on Blonde is a thing...not for me.

17. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

It IS a digital recording. A fantastic one.
    DDD on the back cover of the CD.

DaveyF, Big Blue and mikedifr0923 like this.
  18. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Agreed.

I even love my digalog cassette.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  19. Britt in VA

So... I'm curious why we are waiting to see the source from Mofi on this one. If it started as a digital recording, are we really concerned about the digital step in the one step? Does this fall into the category of "false advertising"?

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  20. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I love Rhino. And what they did with More Songs About Buildings and Food made me a lifetime fan.

21. mikedifr0923

I guess technically it would if they said it was all analog, right? Did they ever say that?

22. dkmonroe

Nobody's bothered by digital recordings being digitally sourced when cut as LP, and MoFi has always said that if the original recording is digital, then that's what they use. Not controversial, and kinda silly to think it would be.

23. mikedifr0923

Makes sense. Did they say that in reference to the One-Step's also?

24. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

The questions will be : 1) which digital format was this album recorded on ? 2) did the guys at MoFi use that original master or did they make a DSD master ?

jriems, Robert C and mikedifr0923 like this.
  25. Britt in VA

Well I guess my point is, and my comment on the Clapton Unplugged being originally recorded digitally isn't meant to be a gotcha or a smartass comment by any means.... It's just further nuance into why the digital step doesn't quite bother me as much as others. Because I have the Clapton One Step and enjoy it very much. I had assumed it was digitally recorded to begin with based on my reading here. So I purchased with that knowledge going in. I wanted the Mofi One Step treatment and the final product didn't disappoint me. So, in the same regard, finding out there is a digital step in others doesn't bother me as much, because I was pleased with the sound to begin with and finding that out after the fact didn't change that for me.

That said, I do think they should be crystal clear moving forward because that is clearly important to a lot of consumers.