Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I understand your point of view.
    I have posted before asking if anyone has guesses what their cost is for making the One Steps? How much are we paying for thinking they are AAA? Isn't part of the premium price linked to the plating process as well?

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  2. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

I think a huge number of young people are buying vinyl simply because it's fashionable. I'm not sure they're bothered by terms like 'all analogue' 'from the master tapes' etc etc. They're happy to just rock up at their friend's house with a bunch of vinyl albums to play on his portable record player.

Big Blue and mikedifr0923 like this.
  3. Britt in VA

Britt in VA Forum Resident

But again, I understand this isn't analog vs. digital, black and white. I understand that people feel deceived and that sucks. As I said, Mofi should be crystal clear from here on out to avoid anything like this in the future.

4. Rose River Bear

I agree. Same with the SACDs. I would like to know if they at least start with the OMR.

5. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

Stopped buying new vinyl awhile ago on assumption it’s all digitally sourced. Even sold off a lot of my modern represses. So this is all very validating - you know it’s probably everyone doing it, too.

6. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Look at the MFSL graphic that you've referred to. The DSD is shown as a step after the "original master recording". So is that graphic ambiguous as to what constitutes the OMR? No, it is not.

ParloFax likes this.
  7. As is their new Little Feat Columbus live album release BG/ CB cut. .

bajaed, bigtail, bmusic and 4 others like this.
  8. heartbroken_poet

heartbroken_poet Forum Resident

Yes, for the simple reason that there is no software available to properly work as a mastering engineer and restorer with DSD. Sonoma and TEAC have some apps but they have very limited capabilities. PCM was use at some stage of the mastering for sure.

9. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Good to know this! Love that album.

bajaed likes this.
  10. heartbroken_poet

The market could have already migrated a long time ago to properly mastered high resolution digital files (with high DR but not smiley EQ) captured from the master tapes and sold in many formats, including the PCM they worked with, but how can you put a file inside a big golden box? lol. Actually not a bad idea: Big golden plated box and a little pendrive with the hires file inside among the posters and all that expensive cardboard reproductions.

ZippyPippy likes this.
  11. Rose River Bear

You are probably right but all of my young relatives and other young folks I have talked to that listen to vinyl and CDs and other strictly digital sources say they like the sound of vinyl more.

Shpongle likes this.
  12. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Hamburg tapes

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Once again, even if you are correct, rudeness never really supports a point very well.

There is snobbishness in just about every hobby.

There are audiophiles that certainly seem to fit into the snobbish category. Probably more a personality defect than audiophile centric. Jazz seems to attract the more snobbish types at times. Kind of a known thing. But one cant say all jazz fans are snobs.

I try and steer clear of the snobs. But being rude isnt any better.

Sell our audiophile vinyl for what reason?

It still sounds the same as it ever has when we bragged on the sound of many of the Mofi's.

Try the tactful suit on, its on sale. In fact, its free.

14. heartbroken_poet

The infatuation some people have with the Abraxas One (Million) Step(s) IS related to the liberal (may I say abusive) use of high and low frequency EQ for people with presbycusis and tinnitus. The EQ and tone curve of the Mofi, when compared to the US original pressing 1D, is drastically different. And the fascination with the "never heard before sounds" and the "super low noise floor" is only the result of heavily EQed and heavily filtered tracks from digital files.

15. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

A 15th copy of Abraxas has been added to Discogs: a NM/VG+ copy for 1999EUR.

heartbroken_poet likes this.
  16. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Emails have been posted a few times stating there was no digital step. You have been posting for a while on this thread, is it possible you've missed those posts?

izgoblin likes this.
  17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yes, in the email response that was posted in the thread MoFi said that they don't use digital masters unless it was recorded digitally to begin with. There's really no other way to interpret that than to say that if they One Step a title that was originally a digital recording, the master used will be digital.

Big Blue and mikedifr0923 like this.
  18. mikedifr0923

Not sure what you mean. I was speaking specifically to the Clapton One Step, or any of the ones we knew were digital recordings.

19. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

which is same for most of this “audiophile” gear targeting old men with hearing loss

20. mikedifr0923

Got it. Thanks. I haven’t had a chance to read through that. I have seen it referenced several times but may have been from before I joined the thread

dkmonroe likes this.
  21. heartbroken_poet

the MOFI demographics :p

22. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

In that case please forget it the post I quoted made no specific mention -I think- of the Clapton record so I thought it was a general question regarding most issues. In regard of Clapton I've only read a few people were more underwhelmed by it than the ones that were happy. So far I have not seen any verifiable info about how it was recorded.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  23. mikedifr0923

No prob at all. You’re right, mine didn’t. The posts I replied to were discussing Clapton. It’s widely known it’s a digital recording and someone earlier posted a link to a thread from when the one-step came out

24. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I’m quite sympathetic to this argument, although I’d drastically dial back the long-distance ageist medical diagnoses and invective quotient quite a bit.

The “liberal use of EQ” and mastering audiophilization that MoFi deploys so skillfully is what I tend to think of when people stubbornly insist (even in the post DSD-revelation world we now live in) that their MFSLs are the best these releases have ever sounded, and that MoFi magic is bringing you close to the authenticity of the master (just not quite as close as it used to be). There’s a thin line between objectively the best close-to-the-original-master sound quality and these are the sonic flavors and mastering moves that audiophiles with high-end gear swoon over.

25. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Yes indeed…there are always exceptions. Son of a friend of mine came round and I played him some vinyl. He went straight out and bought a Rega 2 the following day along with some B&W speakers and an amp. I think he’s in the minority though. When I see young people sharing a pair of Apple ear buds to listen to music on their phones it tells me all I need to know about how music is consumed by the majority of teenagers.