Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. heartbroken_poet

heartbroken_poet Forum Resident

The real problem is that it's very hard to find a copy different than vinyl (digital or not) which is not compressed to death. My main reason for buying vinyl nowadays. Just check the sound of Nirvana's Nevermind hires on HDtracks and check the sound from the ORG pressing. Same source totally different results.

2. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

I actually received the Aussie 1st Pressing of this same one (does not have MJ in the credits) yesterday & lucky for me was also in Mint condition.
    Based on Mazzy's suggestion pages ago in the thread, to go with an original.

I have only heard it once on vinyl before (a friend has the Japanese one - but I found it to be very bright).

So I spun that 1st Pressing for the first time last night and WOW !!
    I have never heard that album sound that way before (I only owned CD versions previously).
    MJs voice was no longer bright but rather warm and involving and the details in that pressing and the rolling bass !!!
    I really could not imagine much could be improved from that 1st Pressing?
    No surface noise, was flawless (got lucky to get a mint copy).

Thanks Mazzy :)

mikedifr0923 and mark winstanley like this.
  3. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Yes it would be no surprise considering the type of recording it is. The question remains, on what and how was it recorded?

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  4. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Similar to this, my move from CD to vinyl in the last 10 years or so gave me more of an appreciation for the Chilli Peppers since the vinyl was mastered so much better than the CDs

5. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

date: 9 Oct 2020, 07:16
    subject: mastering question
    mailed-by: mofi.com
    [​IMG]

Thank you for your email, there is no analog to digital conversion in our vinyl cutting process. Any product that bears the ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING stripe on the jacket lets the customer know that the Original Master Tape was used to produce the release.

Any product that bears the MOBILE FIDELITY SOUND LAB stripe on the jacket lets the customer know that, although it is possible that what we have is the original master, that tape could not be fully verified as such and, in the interest of honesty, is not granted the ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING stripe. As information on the tapes boxes for non-master sources are sometimes wrong or not present, we will not be listing what generation the source is. It may only be a guess and thus could not be consistent from title to title. If a non-master source meets our standard we will use it. If it does not, we will reject it.

In addition, all titles on our main label are sourced from the original master tapes while; although the majority of Silver Label titles are sourced from the original tapes, there are some exceptions where the best available source is used. We do not use digital sources except in cases where the title’s original master was digital itself.

Customer Service

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab

6. mikedifr0923

Thanks. So clearly they would be ok when the original master is digital, at least from a digital vs analog perspective. Whether it’s the “original” who knows at this point (if they haven’t already disclosed)

jackieboy and thrivingonariff like this.
  7. heartbroken_poet

I happen to be an MD, the topic interests me because health level HAS something to do with the audiophile world. (Do you know any blind cameraman?) and I also wouldn't classify my comment as an "invective." I was just stating facts, but, on the other hand I also appreciate your sympathy

Journey into the world of hearing

8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

With my touch of tinnitus and rawk-battered aging ears, I'm a bit touchy about this stuff!

:cheers:

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Rob Lo Verde mentioned that he would be interested in cutting from tape, the other two guys forget it.
    If Lo Verde could latch on to a nice mastering studio in NYC, he might get to cut Sony titles from tape.

Catcher10 and mikedifr0923 like this.
  10. heartbroken_poet

Cheers!

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

There is a video of them cutting a Sinatra title from tape. Pre 2015 many titles are from analogue. Sony titles appear to be DSD64 before 2015.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The poll is some what useful. I think, in truth, the cancellations got their attention, which is why we many be seeing a different mastering process for the Van Halen titles. I voted yes in the poll but I have cancelled some of my orders at MD. I will likely cancel more.

MonkeyTennis and Strat-Mangler like this.
  13. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

can go to the original CD for that don’t need vinyl. What you speak of is in the mastering.

heartbroken_poet likes this.
  14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No, but you can be damn sure they are looking at the cancellation numbers.

15. mikedifr0923

For the record, I find the new vinyl pressing better than the original CD as well.

heartbroken_poet likes this.
  16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, I noticed that later on. That poll is so flawed.

17. may1620

may1620 Forum Resident

Stories like this do make me appreciate the old (analog) records. I just cleaned the Playboy All Stars sets Vol 1 and 2, 1956-1957, to try to record some nice "transfers". There is no danger of any of these being given the modern DSD to LP treatment, I think.

Various - The Playboy Jazz All-Stars

April Snow likes this.
  18. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

At this stage I am more interested in knowing who voted multiple times over what MOFI might have used for mastering.
    C'mon, someone leak the info:D

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is right.:righton:

4-2-7 likes this.
  20. Nope, no digital. Probably a tube cut to boot!

21. heartbroken_poet

Well , plenty of debatable stuff there. If CD is from the 80's, sound is usually thin, as DAC were in their infant stages. If CD is from the 90's (like RHCP BSSM) you can find some awesome masterings. If CD is from the 2000's and on, you are just doomed. :p

22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

This is not only about One-Step. It’s all MoFi LPs.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Not my point.

24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

My opinion is that you'd have to be truly spineless to be placated by a nominal discount, if you're not happy with the situation. I said this before but they could cut prices by half and I still wouldn't buy anything from them.

April Snow, 4-2-7, Uglyversal and 2 others like this.
  25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I received a similar though shorter email from MOFI in 2021. Last sentence was also in the email I received.