The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I found that every cartridge is a trade-off in some way and because of that they sound better at certain records.
    My Denon DL-103R is a good all rounder though, but only really excels at mid frequencies of acoustic music.
    Well… I found that LOMC (I don’t own nor heard HOMC) have much more soundstage depth compared to MM cartridges.
    The Parasound makes that difference a bit smaller by improving depth of my MM cartridges.

Edit: IME actual three dimensions is very rare… I almost never hear height. Just depth and left/right width along the same horizontal axis.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    punkmusick likes this.
  2. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Why is the Technics logo painted? It shouldn't be, as seen on their site. Is it engraved? Other owners please chime in.
    [​IMG]

3. Oelewapper

Yes it’s engraved on Grand Class Technics products.
    Idk, but maybe it just looks painted because of the picture lighting?

punkmusick likes this.
  4. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Yes, but here it doesn't look engraved.

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It is engraved! Just a trick of the light if it looks otherwise.

punkmusick likes this.
  6. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

This

7. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Question , are the feet on the SL1200G supposed to be removable ? I ask this cause the way they came was fairly loose and a few were off when I unpacked it. And I put them back on and they seem fine .. but are they supposed to be like that or is that mean my TT wasn’t supposed to come like that and they are supposed to be permanently built in ? I understand these could be upgradeable and removable so that could make sense. I hope I don’t have a jacked deal lol. I don’t think so but I figured I’d ask the experts on here :)

8. punkmusick

I always thought they were supposed to be easily removable by just unscrewing them, but I never tried removing the feet.

9. They're supposed to screw on & off per say. That's how you level the table.

MikeJedi likes this.
  10. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

I think some people have reported feet loose in the box, and in various stages of coming out, and some have said they were almost impossible to loosen, so as long as no damage was done, you should be OK. They must be a little light on assembly line instructions when it comes to installing the feet :)

11. punkmusick

My GR had three feet almost impossible to loose. I was afraid I would tear them apart trying to adjust them. My G was better, only one foot was stuck.

12. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Wow. Yeah I put them back and adjusted them a tad on my work desk. They’re good for right now.
    I just gotta say this thing is a absolute beast of a piece. If I wasn’t so busy with my newborn I would have unpacked this earlier. Lol ! It’s all good ! :)
    I assembled the Turntable all by myself lol !
    Dad always said (usually) the higher end TTs came more like a kit. He’s was right. If I remember correctly his old Dual 1009 may have come in a few pieces to back in the day.

The feet are fine. I adjusted them temporarily on the workbench.

Anyways I realized that my Neotek VTF gauge , the batteries are dead. I really want to set up my cartridge but how far off will the VTF adjustment be ? Is it safe to do it without a gauge or is the 1200G more accurate than the older MK series in this regard ?

13. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Should be very accurate if you balance the arm and set it to zero. Probably no moreso than the old models, but they've always been pretty accurate, most vintage tables were too.

14. Petie53

Petie53 Forum Resident

I found on my GAE that the tracking weight markings were virtually dead on compared to my Ortofon digital scale.

this_machine and punkmusick like this.
  15. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Found the same on my old 1200M3D.

16. punkmusick

My GR was so accurate it didn't even cross my mind to double check when setting up the G.

17. Oelewapper

The feet have a thread that screws in; it’s like a bolt, but with a foot attached instead of a hexagonal head.
    That’s why you can easily upgrade/change the feet; just screw them all the way out and screw some other ones in.
    However, if you screw them in too tightly, they will also fasten like a bolt.

MikeJedi and punkmusick like this.
  18. GungaLagunga

GungaLagunga c̶r̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ lunch time

Last week I uttered something about my interest in exploring the Nagaoka JT-80BK. Well, I’m well into the break-in process after using a Clearaudio cart break-in pressing to help along the process. Here’s my initial findings:

I set it to a UNI-DIN arc, 1.5g VTF, 1.25 AS, tail of the cart slightly up (SL-1210gr is as low as it (i.e. the tone arm height) can be set). The mat is 5mm, so closer to parallel than a stock mat would allow. Put the Nag on an old trusty magnesium ADC headshell with my favorite leads.

It's warm and rich in the lows w/ killer mids, but doesn’t lose the highs. It’s really warm actually, especially out of my Mullard phono tubes. My system is already warm…gooey, so it got close to muddy. I changed to my phono pre without tubes (Ph3D) and am much happier with the Nag like this. I like warm, but there is such a thing as too warm, and like Primus, its name is Mud(dy). If a recording really needs to be softened up around the edges, I’ll consider going back to the tubes for an LP or two.

Very pleased with the cart. A big factor in it being of interest to me, was (again) the 3mV output. It’s been good there. Louder than my Denon dl110 that was just on (1.6mV, I think). I reduced the gain on both phono pre-amps for the change. I also changed the crossover and volume of my subs.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  19. heartbroken_poet

heartbroken_poet Forum Resident

Rocking a G for more than 2 years now, with a AT150ANV mounted. Heaven is an everyday thing since. This thread has helped me a lot! I thank you all.

bru87tr, Joel S, Dignan2000 and 7 others like this.
  20. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

My GR is always within 0.1 gm vs scale.

Joel S, MikeJedi and punkmusick like this.
  21. superelmar

superelmar Well-Known Member

Got my 1209EGS couple of weeks ago, does it really worth replace the tonearm for a SME M2-9R?

Got Benz Micro Ruby Z (low wood) and SPU 1E.

Thanks in advance!

22. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

23. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Look carefully. Wood scraps, nailed butt joints, indeterminate finish because the photos aren't good enough to tell, and the Buy It Now price is low enough to signal cheap wood and cheap, fast construction. Another square-corner plinth model from this seller looks like it is made from pallet wood - usable, but not exactly heavy enough or stable enough.

formu_la likes this.
  24. Oelewapper

formu_la and Art K like this.
  25. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

looks pretty nice. Can't tell too much from the picture but looks glued/dowelled?
    Finish is nice. I'd like to see inside with the TT removed. When I look at the sellers 'other items' there are none. Feedback is 100%