Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Oh, DTS…I thought they were saying that MoFi was taking the additional step of having all their titles re-recorded by a popular Korean boy band.

Geordiepete and KT88 like this.
  2. 2much Vinyl

2much Vinyl Forum Resident

I hope this doesn't come off wrong but for a site full of audiophiles, the lack of musical taste amazes me. It sure seems like everyone listens to the same old reissues over and over again, just different copies of the same music hoping to find one that sounds a bit better than the other one, all the while so much great music is over looked in everyones quest to buy One Steps of the same old music that has been released tons of times. I mean Thriller, come on, is that the best we can hope for? Or how some more Bob Dylan, please. I hope those old tapes rot in their cans so we can start getting music that was never released on Vinyl or in such limited amounts so that it becomes more affordable.

dheath, rofffe, groovelocked and 12 others like this.
  3. Melele

Melele Groover

Yes, it was euphonic and immersive.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Which specific titles would you like to see come out?

(no snark intended, I actually agree with you. Well, maybe not about wishing tapes would rot. But yeah, more titles)

MonkeyTennis and Fizzle like this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes. Still in the Shrink wrap.
    [​IMG]

Uglyversal likes this.
  6. You come off exactly correct. The Same Old $hit....

7. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

We know (well most of us) that Unplugged was originally recorded digitally. Personally, when I ordered my One Step Unplugged, I was expecting a digital recording that was transferred from some sort of tape medium( the master tape). This is not apparently the method that was used. This doesn’t really upset me that much, as I was expecting the best sounding Unplugged release on vinyl, and I think that is what I received.
    What does upset me a lot more, is the expectation that I would be getting a AAA release of an original analog recording, from for instance, Muddy Waters or Bill Evans or Monk..this is to me where the inexcusable bait and switch occurred. If I had advance knowledge of the mastering technique that we now know is MoFi’s protocol with their DSD step, I probably would not have bought these other ‘OneSteps’, certainly not for the money asked..
    One could ask what is the difference between the expectation of the Unplugged release and for instance, Muddy Waters. That would be a good question, but it comes down to my knowledge of how great the digital recording of Unplugged sounds vs. No knowledge of a digital file of Muddy, and having the option to seek out a AAA release of Folk Singer…etc.,

bajaed, BuyMeVinyl and MonkeyTennis like this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Mine was burnished and hue-like. I saw a rainbow go by and "Rainbow Stew" played by Merle as a thousand angels danced on one spur.

My audiophile experiences are often better than yours though. Sorry just the way it is.

Melele likes this.
  9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I wouldn't buy any titles at that price. I didn't see an option for that reaction in the poll. The DSD mastering thing doesn't bother me at all.
    - Bill

Mr5D likes this.
  10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I don't hope that but I do find a lot of the audiophile camp relies on the same records, and buys multiple copies over time in the quest for the "best"- I still do that to a degree but got out of the "warhorses" -for those I'm good with what I have.
    I still buy a lot of records, but mostly older copies of records I've never owned. The market is pretty inflated, the grading is not precise, and I see why somebody building a collection might opt for a good reissue rather than paying the tariff for an OG, some of which are quite expensive now. But your point- getting out of one's safety zone, is something I often stress to people that complain there is no good new music. If nobody released any new records, starting today, and forever more, there are still so many releases from the past that you could enjoy. (My sweet spot these days is so-called spiritual and soul jazz, some of which I would have regarded as cacophony when I was younger).
    Oh, and some reissues actually do improve on the old copies. But many of those are now dearly priced too....

Big Blue and Melele like this.
  11. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Understatement of the year.

Bill Hart and DaveyF like this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I would ask if the engineers told him every DSD copy was done using their own equipment, or did they also get files sent over from the label.

14. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I think AZ Mike got hammered for all this by a bunch of folks and said he's staying out of it, at least for now-- he did what he had to do. I think the onus is on MoFi.

Kyhl and indyalden like this.
  15. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Big question that i would like to hear about too

Beach House likes this.
  16. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

How could that possibly come off wrong? It came out right, leaving little room for misinterpretation.

4-2-7 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

And... how does it sound to you? :)

18. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I have ZERO issue paying MoFi this price for records, even if they are cut from a digital file.....I have Head Games from 2013, not a great sounding pressing but it's pretty good. These have not been updated yet regarding source...

Foreigner - Foreigner

19. 2much Vinyl

Well even going back a bit, I would love for MoFi or someone to repress, Alisson Krause and Union Stations "Live". They pressed it back in 2009 as a three LP box set and you can't get it except on Discogs from secondary sellers, 500 dollars or more.

I buy a lot of music from MOV as it seems to press a lot less reissues, and more contemporary music. A lot of classical labels you can't get on vinyl, as well. In the past classical music was what audiophile labels focused on. Now it is either audiphile labels of the same old reissues, and other pressing companies pressing pop for the young people.

bajaed likes this.
  20. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Not sure how this makes much difference, as a DSD file is the end result regardless. The consumer is being sold a fraudulent product either way.

April Snow likes this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I get your point, but it does make a difference if MOFI used their Studer deck and A/D converter to create DSD 256 files.

Kyhl, DaveyF, Big Blue and 1 other person like this.
  22. 2much Vinyl

Here you go, doesn't everyone have that LP from when it was new? I think I have maybe three old copies of it, do I want another new audiophile copy of it, no.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I sniff people going back to the old days of crate diggin' even more after this.

Unfortunately, aint may crates in these parts.

4-2-7 likes this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

All of the MFSL Foreigners stink to high heaven. Trust me, as someone who's done some extensive testing. Get the 1st US pressing with earliest matrices and they sound 10x better in every way imaginable; not even close.

aroney, BuyMeVinyl and Bill Why Man like this.
  25. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

There are generations of music lovers who have none of these albums on vinyl. They are the ones driving the industry right now, not audiophiles. To use this record as an example, 1984 (the $24 CB version) seems to be sold out everywhere in the US. I know because I've been trying to buy a copy myself. Even Chad said it with respect to Kind of Blue--its not for you, it's for the new buyers.