Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I’m wondering if Game Of Love is a cover of the old Wayne Fontana song?

jeremylr, Rosewater and KJTC like this.
  2. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

This is an excellent and surprising choice. Was this the only one of the early albums missing from streaming?

3. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Highly likely, given the amount of covers on the album!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Yes, it’s the only 70s album not on streaming.

KJTC likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

If it is that song, it will be interesting to hear her version. It’s not a song I’d imagine her doing.

KJTC likes this.
  6. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Artist’s almost always over record tracks. Olivia has kept her unreleased recordings under lock and key. It’s nice to see they are slowly being released.

I paid a pretty penny for a mint copy of her LP If Not For You in a used record store. I will be curious to see how faithful they are to reproducing this LP album artwork.

KJTC likes this.
  7. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

“round and round” I wonder if she’ll be dancing :sigh: :winkgrin:

8. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

Excellent news! I have always thought Olivia’s debut album was underrated, so it is lovely to see it unexpectedly receive a significant reissue.

The tracklisting is already exciting, especially with ‘Game Of Love’ and ‘Round And Round’. These were only ever pressed onto acetates, so it’s a miracle they have endured for over 50 years. A generous fan donated the acetate to be remastered for this release, so we all have him to thank for getting a handful of unreleased songs (including the acetate B-sides, alternate vocal takes of ‘The Biggest Clown’ and ‘Would You Follow Me’).

I wonder what other treasures make up the 17 songs? Her German version of ‘Banks Of The Ohio’ would be a logical inclusion, along with ‘It’s So Hard To Say Goodbye’ and the released versions of ‘The Biggest Clown’ and ‘Would You Follow Me’. Perhaps both sides of her ‘66 Decca single? It would be great to have the orphaned Toomorrow single ‘I Could Never Live Without Your Love’ and the B-side ‘Roll Like A River’ find a home here too, as this release is more likely than a ‘deluxe’ outing for the full Toomorrow album. I imagine ‘Don’t Move Away’ with Cliff may turn up as well.

That’s 13 songs out of 17…

x

9. Bobby Morrow

The Toomorrow single would be a fantastic addition. I’m not getting my hopes up though.

Chris_Sydney likes this.
  10. Chris_Sydney

And which version, too! The UK, US and Australian pressings are all slightly different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not to mention the German one:

[​IMG]

x

BeSteVenn likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

I was wondering that. I like the second one best. The fourth one is a no no.:D

Chris_Sydney likes this.
  12. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I feel nostalgic for the first (it's the one I have) but I think the second is the nicest - and probably the most likely since they're going with the 'If Not For You' title, rather than they eponymous 'Olivia Newton-John' moniker.

KJTC, Bobby Morrow and Chris_Sydney like this.
  13. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I'm not as excited by the early phase of Olivia's career as I am by the late 70s/early 80s phase - but I was hoping for a 50th anniversary rerelease for this album last year. A 51st anniversary release will do! :D

And actually, I do prefer the early folky-pop stuff to the mid 70s country-easy-listening stuff. There's a bit more 'edge' here. It will be fascinating to see what the other bonus tracks are. I like the idea of including Til You Say You'll Be Mine, Don't Move Away and the Toomorrow songs - but that still leaves a few. Hopefully we'll get some real surprises!

KJTC and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I'm absolutely thrilled about the re-release of her debut album! I saw the posting on Facebook this afternoon and immediately followed the link to pre-order it. I was able to pre-order the CD, but the LP set was already sold out. While I'd like to have the vinyl, it's not vital for me so I can live with just the CDs. I'd buy the vinyl if they were to make more copies available, however...

The 17 bonus tracks are indeed quite intriguing. I expected there'd be a few from this era (the b-sides and the German single), but I never expected this many. I read about the acetates so I'm glad those are being included. I expect they'll include her 1966 single along with "Don't Move Away." As for the rest, it would sure be nice if they included the songs heard in "The Case" -- fresh from the original master tapes, of course -- and maybe a couple of tracks that have never seen the light of day anywhere. The two extra Toomorrow tracks would be fantastic to have, but I'm not sure I really expect that to happen.

I suppose they could be including a few recordings from early Australian TV appearances (like "Here There & Everywhere"). There are any number from which to choose. Could they include "The Day I Met Marie," the track on which she sings backing vocals for The Shadows?

BeSteVenn and leicbri like this.
  15. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I also like that they've gone for a very contrasting album to Physical. In some ways, Totally Hot would have been a logical choice - but it wouldn't have demonstrated to new listeners just how broad and diverse her talent is. I wonder if they'll alternate? I suspect we might get Totally Hot in 2023.... (45th anniversary - and maybe a tie-in with any Grease 45th anniversary hoop-la?)

KJTC, Chris_Sydney and Bobby Morrow like this.
  16. Chris_Sydney

I think this retailer jumped the gun - the vinyls will be widely available, but there's been no official announcement yet from Olivia's camp. I'm sure there will be multiple places to pre-order from when the release is properly launched.

x

David G. likes this.
  17. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I'm sure you're right. I can't imagine they'd miss the opportunity to sell as many as possible by doing only limited print-runs.

I guess the next question is whether or not they'll be doing different colors of vinyl for this one. Maybe not for different retailers like they did with Physical, but perhaps some limited-edition colored editions like they did for Toomorrow?

18. Bobby Morrow

I’d agree with this. There will be plenty of vinyl copies to go around. Hopefully there’ll be an official announcement soon.

19. Bobby Morrow

Someone on Facebook said a while ago that Physical was a one-off and that from now on the reissues will be put out chronically. I believe it’s the same guy who said that the releases would be based on the US editions rather than the U.K. Meaning that the Olivia, Music Makes My Day and Long Live Love albums will be condensed down to ‘bonus’ tracks on Let Me Be There and If You Love Me, Let Me Know.

KJTC likes this.
  20. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Hmmm. I’m not sure I like that strategy - unless, of course, they pick up speed. We’ll have a long wait for Totally Hot onwards, then!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

I think this strategy makes sense, in that the North American version of Let Me Be There as well as If You Love Me, Let Me Know were both massive sellers, and it gives Primary Wave more to work with for bonus material. They can also skip over DVD material for a while now if they focus on the earliest albums. I wonder if we will get the live versions from Love Performance and Olivia in Concert as bonus tracks with these releases?

leicbri and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

So 1 month to release date, hard to believe it’s coming this quickly. I have a feeling this will sell quickly on preorders. I wonder what colored vinyl they will be pushing this time. I’d rather have black vinyl might fit better for this era, maybe 180 gram black translucent would be cool.

Rosewater likes this.
  23. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

#2 is best as the title doesn’t flow into her photo. This makes me wonder if they will put together an insert showing all the variations in a discography. Maybe pictures of the singles sleeves/labels like they mentioned Physical was going to get but ran out of time.

24. Bobby Morrow

It’d be nice if they put Love Performance out as a standalone CD release. I know they probably won’t, but many fans have been after this for years.

At least we got about half of it on the 40th Anniversary boxset.:)

KJTC and Rosewater like this.
  25. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

That would be amazing, i really love her live version from "New Born Babe" and "Take Me Home Country Roads", so it would be nice to see a full album release on cd from "Love Performance".

Bobby Morrow likes this.