Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

And Melinda Murphy

Vinylfindco, Mazzy and Britt in VA like this.
  2. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think for some reason you're trying to create any scenario in which MoFi is playing a winning game of 4D chess instead of just admitting that they lied and got caught.

I'd sooner believe that Mike Esposito somehow engineered this whole thing to promote his own channel at the expense of MoFi, and I don't believe that.

Kyhl, Farmer Mike, rofffe and 2 others like this.
  4. Britt in VA

Britt in VA Forum Resident

I don't think anything about this is "winning" for Mofi.

I think they were trying to get ahead of a problem that was on the horizon with all of the speculation about 40,000 copies of Thriller. And the rumblings were already growing.

DaveyF likes this.
  5. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Ok? Doesn’t common sense kick in at some point for you?

cwd, rofffe and MonkeyTennis like this.
  6. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

No they didn’t purposely out themselves. They accidentally or mistakenly released the information that Thriller One Step 40K was digital, as Fremer said he saw it, he read it and why would he lie about it. So they knew the information was out there and that they could no longer cover it up so they hatched a not well thought out plan to reveal it.

Possible?
    Have any of MoFi or Ingroove denied this?

7. Britt in VA

And not just Thriller perhaps, all of the Van Halen titles and Eagles titles that are surely going to be in the high numbers.

They aren't making 1500 unit one step releases anymore.

8. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Only time will tell on the UD1S pricing.....The market will determine its price eventually, they could price them at $150 and I think they will sell but they loose those on the fence. For sure their not going to sell 40,000 Thriller albums, not anytime soon, I suspect that one will hang out for awhile. As well many of the VH albums, depending on how many they make. The ones currently selling at Walmart are using same plates as the 2015 CB cut releases and sell for $26 and sound pretty fantastic!.....Is the UD1S 480% better??

Merrick likes this.
  9. Fruff76

They didn’t have to invite the record store owner there, or tell anyone anything. They could’ve said if you don’t like it, go pound salt and don’t buy them. It doesn’t seem like a better business strategy to blow it all up in their face with a rushed interview with an influencer.

10. Britt in VA

If the information was coming out either way, what goes off better? Doing what you mentioned above or telling the people of this forum directly "hey you don't like it, go pound sand."

I'll let the reaction, as is, speak for itself.

11. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

And the Queen of England hasn’t explicitly denied that she is a Thrynian from the planet Zob.

Makes you think, doesn’t it.

Kyhl, cwd, sunspot42 and 2 others like this.
  12. Britt in VA

Four days after the start of this thread/realease of this video. Mike from The In Groove is granted an exclusive interview with the engineers and tour of Mofi.

Why wouldn't they just ignore the video? Why wouldn't they invite Fremer in to write about it. Why did The In Groove get the exclusive scoop?

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

One thing about youtube is it has to be taken with a grain of salt. There may be "influencers" but in what way they influence can sometimes be very scary to behold. Most Ive found to be fairly clueless about anything but holding up records and saying "This sounds soooo good" or "Fantastic sounding. Incredible".

Fun to watch, but rarely insightful. Maybe a handful if that who present themselves as knowledgable.

Be better off scouring the archives here.

Fruff76 likes this.
  14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Are you trollin bro? :D

15. Britt in VA

I'm genuinely curious.

16. Fruff76

And either way, they could’ve let the sound quality sell the records. I get it people are mad, but this whole thing was blown up because a bunch of YouTube influencers fawning over them, speculators wanting to make money off of them, people obsessing over how much their newly acquired collections were suddenly so valuable etc. the whole thing is getting old.

4-2-7 likes this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think youre getting your answers though my friend. Sometimes the obvious is just that. Sometimes simple is the answer.

MonkeyTennis and Britt in VA like this.
  18. Britt in VA

I agree with you. For me, the sound does, and will continue to speak for itself. I really have no dog in the fight except my own wallet.

Fruff76 and AppleCorp3 like this.
  19. Britt in VA

I'll leave it alone.

mpayan likes this.
  20. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Without the JVC Supervinyl I have not been knocked out with any MFSL vinyl releases.
    I did not realize how big a difference that plastic made until I bought a handful of new ones.

I do like their SACDs and will continue to buy them w/o reservation.

21. Fruff76

It seems like the less knowledgeable you are, the more subscribers you get.

4-2-7 and blunosr like this.
  22. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Maybe because In Groove doesn’t want to respond to such stupidity?

23. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

Examples?

24. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

It never ceases to amaze me how somebody will create a theory and then expect the person that the theory is about to comment on it. Despite there being no proof that the theory is based in reality.

scarcelight, aroney, Kyhl and 7 others like this.
  25. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

Not sure I totally agree . The Market is ridiculously inflated for hard to find copies or the pressings that “you have to get” ; but actually for most records , I find multiple options to buy relatively cheap records, either on Discogs or as recently used copies on Amazon where the vinyl is mint but the sleeve is damaged.

In my experience , if you are less picky about getting “the best” sounding pressing , multiple bargains are still to be had. And in reality, we are for the most part talking about small percentages in the sound improvements if you do insist on getting the “best” pressings.

Paully likes this.