Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

There is video of them cutting a Sinatra from tape.

https://youtu.be/DI5ySYI_RZU

Twinsfan007, morinix and Sneaky Pete like this.
  2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Not at all what I said. However if the record company or artist refuses to allow the use of the master, a DSD copy is the best alternative. I believe that is what happened with AF and Stevie Wonder. The results speak for themselves, the Stevie Wonder releases are the definite versions in my opinion.

There was speculation on the forum that KG handled those masterings for AF, because the company could not have use of the original master tapes. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of those rumors.

the nightfly likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Where are you getting this? And don't tell me it's common knowledge. Anyone can post made-up stuff online. Show me where "almost all companies" do this because that is a mighty strong statement!

CBackley and MonkeyTennis like this.
  4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

No. Some are DSD64, (Sony Music titles). The Lennon titles they put out when they started up again were from digital but they didn't hide that.

5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well some are good at marketing and there is the ASMR factor lol.

I think its the glasses myself! Those giant specs :D

And a pretty face with a soft kind voice doesnt hurt.

But think of it this way, if they push and get everyone that watches to purchase audiophile then that keeps them away from the used bins!

Kidding aside, the only ones I find useful are those who talk about genres/lps/bands Ive never heard of or those who provide actual well done comparison samples.

The rest is just silly fun.

PS: Ive never or will ever give a youtuber a dime.

6. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Do you believe that Technics relaunched the 1200 tt because of that fb petition started by some guy from Israel?

7. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Some are excellent, like Mazzy, Rachel Ghost and there is a woman in Germany who shows disco. I don’t think I could get on camera and have any more charisma than a potato. On the flip side, I think a lot of YouTube fueled crazy FOMO, leading to people paying way too much money on these. End result, huge backlash.

8. Strat-Mangler

No idea why this is addressed to me.

9. Britt in VA

Britt in VA Forum Resident

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a company who DOESN'T rely on some sort of social media influence to promote their product. This is 2022.

d.s.l. likes this.
  10. SkoomaDen

SkoomaDen Member

Has anyone any idea on whether the Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Red Nichols, Bobby Darin, Tony Bennett MFSL releases are digital or analog?

11. Cjb2233

Cjb2233 Forum Resident

O ok. You mentioned dsd being preferable. So I guess you don't think it is.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  12. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

AFAIU, you don't accept that companies do such marketing manipulations. That Technics example is a huge one, and most people bought into it.

13. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Keep an eye on the MoFo website. They are adding lineage to each release.

14. black sheriff likes this.
  15. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Low bitrate PCM

16. Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    black sheriff likes this.
  17. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

That Santana Lotus MoFi was always advertised as being a DSD sourced set. Nobody found that controversial. They could’ve just been up front about this with all their pressings. I wonder if their Wax Cathedral pressings were full analog.

Joe Stark likes this.
  18. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

W a
    I got a sigh too when canceling my one steps

19. Strat-Mangler

Your statement is *influencers* are used by "almost all companies". That is different than the mere use of social media. Show me where any source indicates "almost all companies use influencers", please.

CBackley and MonkeyTennis like this.
  20. Britt in VA

Britt in VA Forum Resident

You don't think influencers get free product from a company to review in exchange for a little rub? That practice pre-dates social media influencers. "Influencers" are just the flavor of advertising du jour.

Call them influencers, call them whatever you want. But that practice is as old as advertising and I'd wager any company that has an advertising department has people dedicated to continuing on that tradition.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I can't speak for other people but when I've never heard of the guy doing the cutting or mastering I'm immediately suspect. I'll send an email to the label and/or mastering house and see what they say. If I don't like the answer I get, or it's not specific enough, I simply don't make the purchase. Usually there's enough other stuff I want that I won't miss it. I passed on one of Rhino's reissue campaigns earlier this year due to this sort of thing.

Bill Hart likes this.
  22. TACOTACO

TACOTACO Forum Resident

The AF cover says "from the original master tapes". That is inaccurate?

Can you provide a link about the flawed back up tape?

23. SkoomaDen

SkoomaDen Member

What happened to the Frank Sinatra MFSL analog or digital post??

24. Strat-Mangler

You're betting but I was asking for proof as that was and is a loaded statement. Anyone can make up stuff to fit into points that are brought up. Unless you can bring proof onto the conversation, that will just be another assumption.

25. Well every single record reviewer gets free records. Store buyers and radio oriole used to. That’s why we see all the promo records out in the world.

Curiosity and Fruff76 like this.