UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

I found Shamen - En-Tact a while ago, I enjoyed it other than the inane MCing. I then read that there are versions without said MCing. Later I saw Boss Drum and passed on it, though I should have picked it up.

If you see the Something Good EP by Utah Saints, I recommend it. It's a lot better than the eponymous album which had a lot of filler.

2. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

I wish there was a version of The Small Faces LP 'Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake' that didn't have Stanley Unwin on it.

3. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

Maybe they could get Steve Wynn and then call it a tie.

4. AlmostHeavenWV

My favourite tie....

[​IMG]

JumpinJimF, lwh1 and Fawltykog like this.
  5. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

:yikes:

Are you all sitty comftybold two-square on your botty? Then I'll begin.

TimeWarper, johnnybrum and Man at C&A like this.
  6. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

Had an hour or so to spare the other morning so popped into a few local op shops as well as a Cash Converters, which is a pawn shop chain I rarely bother with. Nice vintage JVC integrated amp in the Cash Converters but at $150 I wasn't that keen. The CDs didn't do much for me.

Luckily, one of my regular haunts came through with the goods. Can almost always find a few worthwhile things at this place. Could be because it's in a "hipster" neighbourhood plus a lot of wealthier middle aged people... dunno. Anyway, left a bit behind just because I feel I have so much listening to catch up on and it was of marginal interest. Kind of kicking myself I didn't pick up the Felt CD though. Oh well. Next time. Also almost scored a nice 3CD Bee Gees restrospective but Disc 1 was a burnt CD-R rather than the original disc :shake:

Kitaro: Silver Cloud (1984, Polydor, Made in Korea)
    Peter Gabriel: So (1986, Virgin/Charisma, UK)
    The Strokes: Is This It (2001, BMG, Australia) - resisted this for 21 years :evil: even though it was the soundtrack to many a drunk night at 'indie' clubs back in the day!
    Sugar: Copper Blue (1992, Rykodisc, US)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  7. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

Which Felt CD?

8. Dirty Bertie

Absolute Classic Masterpieces. Don't know Felt very well but probably should've picked it up.

saw119 and Flannel like this.
  9. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

Yup. Go back!

saw119 and Dirty Bertie like this.
  10. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

One of my local charity shops is now offering a temporary 3 for £1 deal on CDs in a bid to sell the vast mountain of CD stock they've recently acquired. So picked up the following for £2:

The Cross Of Changes - Enigma 1993

Myths And Legends Of King Arthur… - Rick Wakeman 90s US reissue

1492 OST - Vangelis 99 reissue

A Day At The Races - Queen 1993 remaster

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen 2003 Columbia reissue

Born In The USA - Bruce Springsteen 2003 Columbia reissue

Never really bothered with the '93 Queen remasters before and the Springsteen titles are remasters (?) I don't think I've heard before.

On a separate trip I also got the following for £1 each:

City To City - Gerry Rafferty late 80s release

Sultans Of Swing - Dire Straits comp

I think the Dire Straits comp may have different mastering to the other CDs I have i.e. the original CDs and 1996 masters.

11. Great Face For Radio

You should have done, they're an underrated treasure and rarely seen in charity shops.

Well done for picking up Copper Blue by Sugar though; an absolute powerhouse of an album.

Dirty Bertie and Man at C&A like this.
  12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

IIRC, the Springsteen reissues are not remasters, but reissues with extra photographs.

13. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

...oh. The photos are nice though.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  14. AlmostHeavenWV

By 11 this morning the sun was out, the clouds had gone away, so went into town for some milk. Looked in Barnardo's on the way back, and found The Ralph McTell Collection double LP, £3. Faint smell of ciggies on the records and the bags.

[​IMG]
    I really enjoyed listening to The Beatles Anthology 2 that I picked up on Friday, so I'm going to get Anthology 1 too.

15. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

If you want to get rid of the cig smell, I've been using bicarbonate of soda to successfully get the whiff out of CD inserts. Works on paper and card in general, so good for record sleeves and books too. Simply seal the offending items in a tub with some bicarb and leave for a few days, and most smells will be absorbed. The bigger the pong, the longer it needs leaving, with real bad cases needing a change of bicarb. Yours doesn't sound too bad, luckily!

Glad the rain cleared; we had some here, which hampered car booting somewhat, with a very low turnout at both.

16. AlmostHeavenWV

That's great, thanks very much. Having often worked in sterile areas in hospitals up to retirement, I always notice the slightest bit of ciggy smell. Came in handy when people had been smoking in No Smoking areas.

17. Dirty Bertie

Haven't been able to get back to the shop with the Felt CD. Instead, popped into one near my train station this morning and picked up a handy 3 for $3. I never find anything in this place and was thinking just that when I spied in the corner of the top shelf the Ramones 2CD Anthology, Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill and Queens of the Stone Age Rated R. Could't really say no.

[​IMG]

CDFanatic, Lee Davis, Mylene and 11 others like this.
  18. Great Face For Radio

After a fab T-shirt last week it was books this time around. Picked up these beauties at the Red Cross. £65 worth for a total of £8.95.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

I found one today. Sarah Vaughan / A Time in My Life. It was £2.

I can honestly say that the cover is absolutely vile. They put their obnoxious "Original Master Recording" banner above then a tiny shrivelled image of the record cover (also with the banner) in the centre. They also seem to have done something rather dramatic to the sound, I presume to please HiFi shop owners, nonetheless it does not please me!

Seems to be from Bob Shad's Mainstream records. I think I have one other from that label, the Sonny Clark Trio Time LP, a Japanese reissue. I was reading that the family of Bob Shad have bought those two labels back, hence many licensed reissues. Incidentally I was in my local record shop today and saw a copy of wewantsounds reissue of Harold Land / A New Shade of Blue but did not buy it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm not saying MoFi haven't done something silly with the sound, as they often did, but is the original that great sounding? I do have a memory that at least one of the Mainstreams doesn't sound great, not sure if it's that one as I'm not a big fan of Sarah Vaughn so haven't played any of them for ages. On a positive, you can likely get enough for the MoFi disc to buy a decent Jazz LP reissue.

Flannel likes this.
  21. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Yesterday, I found a Coltrane compilation (Trane's Blues), together with Bitches' Brew. I already have the latter, but as they were both priced at 49p, I bought both.

Does anyone else buy stuff they've already got if they see it for an insanely cheap price? I'd hate to feel I was alone in this ......

CDFanatic, Lee Davis, MC Rag and 10 others like this.
  22. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Yes, me too. I tell myself it's in case it's "a better copy"! And yes, I also have two copies of Bitches' Brew (to be fair, the second one I bought had a slipcase, so it was indeed a better copy...)

23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Afraid I didn't have the slipcase excuse! :)

Ah, well: one for upstairs, one for downstairs .....

24. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

The original En-Tact album is better imo than the reissue with Mr C on it.

Flannel likes this.
  25. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I do! Usually for something minimal, like a hype sticker (or undamaged sticker), or the original case, or it just looks in better condition overall. Sometimes I've been extra lucky, because by doing that I happen on a different pressing (Blue Nile, or the Seal situation where there were 2 mixes of the album).

EG.