The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

No words.

Except these.

Hail... Hail!... HAIL!!

Anthrax likes this.
  2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Happy anniversary to the greatest metal album of all time!

Vinnie Vincent Invasion
    Twisted

3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Just swapped out my 2M Blue for the AT540ML and wowzers what a difference! This UK original press of Maiden’s Piece Of Mind sounds fantastic!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

While I quite like the reunion stuff, I kind of wish Maiden would do more sonic experimentation like Somewhere and, to a lesser extent, Seventh Son. At the time, liked them both immediately. They are probably my two favorite Maiden albums. Man, the next decade was a massive disappointment.

5. Quite possibly the best production of any Maiden album before or after.
    Superb sounding, even on original CD as well.

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Agreed the sound of the drums and bass is really outstanding. The original CD sounds great as well.

kyouki and Stormrider77 like this.
  7. Metalmat

Metalmat Forum Resident

I’m finding over the past few years getting decent prices on used vinyl for even halfway popular hard rock and metal bands has been rather tough. For example, the other day I saw a used vinyl of Judas Priest “Sin after Sin” in ok shape out in a bin for a good price, which is rather uncommon for me, but to my disappointment the record itself was in pretty bad condition so it was a hard pass. Figures.

I can still find “decent” deals on stuff like Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Uriah Heep and southern rock stuff but the days of stumbling across a random Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden album in relatively good condition for a bargain price seem long gone :(

fretter, tinnox and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

My cousin used to stop at every yard/garage sale in town. I got on my nerves until I started seeing the bargains on old vinyl and CDs. I picked up a near mint LP of Johnny Cash Sings the Songs That Made Him Famous for only 25 cents.

Now I stop at yard and garage sales on my own and it's the only way that I buy used.

Matthew Tate and JakeKlas like this.
  9. Metalmat

Metalmat Forum Resident

I find it has been easier to find deals on used CDs than Vinyl but it takes time. One of the record stores I go to has a giant bin of CDs for 25 cents a piece and I've been able to get some good stuff from it but it's a chore going through it.

fretter, Matthew Tate and dmiller458 like this.
  10. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I almost never see cheap Metal CDs at record stores, thrift stores or yard sales. I think Metal fans have always been good about keeping physical product.

Purple, wdiv, weekendtoy and 4 others like this.
  11. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

This is how I feel as well. I remember being initially enthusiastic when I heard Satellite 15 from TFF and thinking that they may have changed things up a bit with how they sounded. That whole intro has a much different feel to a lot of their reunion material, which I appreciate. Kinda wish they had stuck with that, even if it was just a rough demo portion of the song.

12. Metalmat

Metalmat Forum Resident

Best Opeth album imo.

I liked In Flames up until "Reroute to Remain". I gave them a second chance with "Soundtrack to your Escape" but hated it and totally abandoned them. However, it's been so long since that happened that I sort of wonder if any of their newer stuff is good, I would be willing to give them another shot.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That was my first Maiden album btw, the one that won me over.

Years prior to that a friend of a friend played their first album for me when it came out, said it was "the future of heavy metal" or some such hyperbole, but in hindsight he wasn't wrong. I hated what I heard then though (I still do not care for the 1st two Maiden albums, just do not like Di'Anno's vocals).

14. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Love them. Their last album, The Serpent & The Sphere, has a few shorter cuts (mind you, they're still on the lengthy side), and I think it's one of their best. A shame they decided to call it a day after that.

Stormrider77 and Square Hammer like this.
  15. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

At yard sales, I flip through a few titles. I'll just grab the whole box or an armload and make a low-ball offer. Then we work out a price.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Excellent album my favorite from them !

17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Actually Killers was my first album, then Live After Death. The rest came quickly after that. I absolutely love Killers, the songs, production and the vocals don’t bother me. I would say my fave album would be Piece Of Mind, followed by Killers.

When I first heard Where Eagles Dare my mind was blown, and the album is a total classic for me.

slipkid, fretter, MikeInFla and 2 others like this.
  18. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Sod it.

Just spent way too much (as per all new records) on Metal II (Annihilator) and that Ayreon Universal Migrator which appears to have been reissued as a Part I + II twin set CD which I've gambled on as being original masters/mixes.
    This inflation crap has sod all to do with supply chain issues and everything to do with rampant, corporate opportunism. Bar stewards. :cussing:

[​IMG]
    :uhhuh:

Anthrax likes this.
  19. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree. The usual album to be listed as their best by the cognoscenti is of course Number of the Beast but this one has always been close to the top as well for me over the years. Some of the best guitar playing of all Maiden albums IMO.

slipkid and tinnox like this.
  20. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

It transcends time and......space. :agree:

21. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

My first concert ever was the Piece Of Mind tour, my dad took me and my brother I was 15 and my brother was 11 at the Baltimore Arena and Quiet Riot opened, what a show ! The next year I went to the Powerslave tour with Twisted Sister opening now that I had my drivers license what an experience at the Capitol Center, another excellent show !

Anthrax, 500Homeruns, slipkid and 6 others like this.
  22. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

That’s excellent, top notch. The guitar solo sounds a little disjointed to me.

Johnny Rock N' Roll likes this.
  23. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Heard this on satellite today. I think Megadeth won this round. Not that anybody is keeping track after the Big 4 tour.

Anthrax, tinnox, dmiller458 and 4 others like this.
  24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I always have Vinnie Vincent Invasion on instant replay :hide:

25. paddrino

paddrino Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Motorhead: bomber

Continuing my bad mood listening session. This is not one I reach for often. Seems to lack that "heart pumping" tempo that most of their albums have...

(From DROffline MkII) (5050749204028)
    [​IMG]