Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

I almost pre-order it on my Dutch record store, but the website said it only contains one cd, so where are the bonus tracks on this cd release?, so i deside to canncel my pre-order until i know more, mabe they don't know that the cd has two cd's.

2. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

So is Vinny Vero working on this release? I hope he doesn’t say the edit/glitch on If Not For You is the original master. Lol I hate that edit on the US Let Me Be There Cd. That edit/glitch is not on the 45 mono single. By the way that mono of If Not For You is amazing clarity and her vocals sound more up front in the mix, wonderful sound.

Rosewater and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

Great news! If they're going to re-release the albums chronologically it makes sense. I'm looking forward to hearing the unreleased tracks. :agree:

Rosewater and leicbri like this.
  4. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

The American version is lovely, I hope they choose this one.

There's also the 1998 Festival version, which probably is the worst one :sigh::

[​IMG]

5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I have the ONJ/If Not For You album twice on CD. It’s included in it’s entirety on 48 Original Tracks, of course, and I also have a late 80s Japanese copy (with alternate artwork). Both of these sound so wonderful, in slightly different ways, that the mastering on the upcoming Primary Wave edition isn’t a massive concern. I doubt they’ll top them. If they do, that’s great. It’s the bonus stuff that’s the pull for me here.

BTW, I’m well aware I moaned profusely about the mastering issues on the Physical deluxe, but I won’t be as picky with INFY.

Probably.:)

NoYesMaybe, Pizza, Rosewater and 2 others like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

I read somewhere years ago that Olivia wasn’t keen on her vocals on some tracks. Don’t know if that’s true. If it is, it could be this that’s holding up a CD release. Plus, the album was a Japanese exclusive in 1981 and may well be considered so today. Time will tell.

Rosewater and leicbri like this.
  7. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I don’t know anything about this online retailer that’s offering this pre order but I would be hesitant from ordering anywhere when this product has not even been officially announced. It doesn’t seem like best practices to me.

8. Bobby Morrow

I’ve heard of them, but I’m still waiting for Amazon to list it. Better the devil you know, and all that.:D

9. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

I’d like to think without the pressure of working to an anniversary deadline, there’ll be a little more quality control on this than ‘Physical’. I’m still most shocked by the DVD - the most important documentation of Olivia as a live artist rendered unwatchable by the sync drift that is almost a second out by the end. Unbelievable that this got past a test pressing to end up in circulation - did nobody watch it through?

Agreed about the mastering though. ‘48 Original Tracks’ sounds great so this really is all about the bonus content, and as excited as I was about finally getting the ‘Two Of A Kind’ 12” mixes in digital format, unreleased songs trumps that!

Rough Trade is a legitimate independent retailer, but yes it will be widely available once the announcement comes. I feel for Olivia’s team - a retailer posted product information ahead of schedule for the ‘Physical’ reissue too and it must take the wind out of the sails of a prepared campaign. Still, we’re all excited and lining up our purchases so nobody loses out in the end.

x

John Adam, leicbri and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

I did mention this to Alex on Facebook who is included in the Physical deluxe credits.

His response was, “It’s not out of sync!”

:)

11. Albator

Albator Well-Known Member

It's not like I have watched it over and over again, but I haven't noticed

12. Bobby Morrow

@Chris_Sydney actually drew my attention to this. I was too busy moaning about the wrong Carried Away and the dropout on Landslide to pay much attention to the DVD.:D

Chris_Sydney likes this.
  13. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I didn’t get all the way to the end to see how far out it had drifted, but I skipped ahead and it definitely was out of synch by the later songs.

But on the plus side, it was so dark you could barely see Olivia’s mouth moving anyway. :biglaugh:

Song4U and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

Me too, i'm a real geek when it comes to unreleased songs from my favorite artist like and Olivia and Barbra Streisand :):p, these two artist i really wish i own it all in my collection. And i'm also glad they are going to release the rest of Olivia's albums on a chronologically order, that would make sence indeed.

Mezepokaj, Song4U and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

My LP has the same art work as the 1993 US CD release, I like it better than the 1998 art work from the festival records CD release, so I hope Primary Wave records will use the same art work from the 1993 CD for their album release.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. Jerms

Jerms Forum Resident

Well this is a pleasant surprise (shock.) I was SURE the next release would have been “Totally Hot” complete with the “Grease” and “Xanadu” tracks and then out of nowhere comes “If Not For You.” That would explain why it hasn’t been released on the streaming platforms yet (although I’m still wondering why the US still doesn’t have “The Rumour”) I’ll be anxious to see what the track list is for the bonus tracks!
    And if they’re going in order now what do we get next, “Olivia” or the MCA “Let Me Be There” which contains about half the tracks from “If Not For You.” Nice to see it being released on vinyl too! I’ll definitely be picking up a copy of that.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

I own it then three times on cd, first one was when i bought the 48 Tracks double cd, and later i bought the 1993 cd and a couple years ago i also bought the 1998 Festival Records version from this album, but we really need a new remastered version from this album on cd, amnd i agree, it;s the bonus tracks that will haunt me to get this release on cd. and a new nice vinyl copy is a win win for me anyway. :)

18. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

That makes it even worse when they can’t admit to an error being made. Do they think we are making this up? Why? What would that benefit? It’s still has errors and that screech at the end too. I mean admit and move on or better fix it and reissue we will buy again. Lol

19. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Your bad lol but it’s true. :sigh::laugh:

leicbri likes this.
  20. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

I see, i never heard about those rumours that Olivia didn't like her vocals but maybe it has to do with it because it's a releease from Japan, But i believe The Carpenters concert from their 1974 album "Live In Japan" had a cd release many years ago, so maybe there's still hope, or Japan could release it someday.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I’m so glad I bought 48 tracks in a record store. I still remember looking at the track list in the store and saying OMG I don’t have a lot of these. The sound/mastering is top notch.

22. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

If they ARE going chronologically, perhaps when they get back to the Physical era we’ll get a Deluxe Edition of the Deluxe Edition? :nauga:

23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I agree. It’ll be what’s on disc 2 that I’ll be interested in. I’ve lost count how many copies I have of each of her albums between CD and vinyl. I was pretty thorough through the years in grabbing release after rerelease, even the comps. The last decade I’ve stopped chasing the comps and have become selective on the rereleases.

Despite the flaws on the Physical release, I was happy with the bonus material and that made it a worthwhile purchase for me. To be honest, I don’t know what kind of demand there will be for a deluxe If Not For You.

I’d rather they did Totally Hot or Have You Never Been Mellow as the next release. I’m concerned going with a less commercial release could jeopardize the project. Despite a hit single, the UNI release of INFY quickly went into the cutout bins in the US. Parts of the album got resurrected for the MCA Let Me Be There album. I feel that version of these tracks would have been a better package for a deluxe with a couple of big hits on it including INFY and LMBT. Still, we don’t know what’s on the second disc yet so maybe some of those tracks will be there.

John Adam and Bobby Morrow like this.
  24. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

Yes i agree, the sound on this two cd boxset is amazing, and i have the same reaction as you, my reaction was the same "Wow i don't have most of these songs in my collection" ;)

25. Bobby Morrow

The only real thing they have to push with this is that it was her debut album. Whether this is enough to incite interest remains to be seen.

leicbri, Mezepokaj and Pizza like this.