The U.K. 70s Singles & Albums Chart General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Andy Williams, Perry Como and Peters & Lee? I don’t actually.

I only have Wings, The Carpenters and Bowie out of those.

Jarleboy and Randoms like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

I think most of us remember Look-in with affection, but their pinup choices often left something to be desired.

[​IMG]

3. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Oh, well done you!!

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

I do have a Peters & Lee comp though.:D

Jarleboy and Randoms like this.
  5. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

I thought you had a Peter's & Lee.

6. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

:biglaugh:

Are you being served?

EG.

7. Bobby Morrow

I think this was from Follyfoot a few years earlier.

Randoms, Eric_Generic and Jarleboy like this.
  8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

We could do with Woolworth again now...

Man at C&A, Randoms and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

I’ve often thought that myself. I wish it would come back.

Eric_Generic and bob60 like this.
  10. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Back to the winter of '78.

[​IMG]

Annie in fishnets. I make no apologies.

[​IMG]

A few articles deemed newsworthy. Interesting.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

First of this issue's Reviews pages.

I bought 'Princes In Towers' and 'Read My Lips' and, years later, was Dropbox'd the City Boy album. Fine pieces of work, all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    Alf., bob60, Man at C&A and 3 others like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Don’t remember this mag at all.

12. Bobby Morrow

I was just saying on the 80s thread that Dire Straits never got a good review in Record Mirror. This one from June 1979 proves me wrong.

[​IMG]

Alf., Jarleboy and Andy Smith like this.
  13. Andy Smith

I'm not a hater. Very fond of Knopfler's guitar work. Unique. Adored the albums he made with Dylan. 'Local Hero' is one of the finest movie themes ever drafted. Not sure where the disquiet came from. Too boring? Too predictable? Dunno.... It's a mystery to me......

Man at C&A, Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. Andy Smith

Cont from the mag above.

Blondie deservedly get Album Of The Month. Wasn't keen on Boston's follow-up. Bought the Sabs album in real time but didn't actually 'get' it till years later. About 30 years later actually.

I went to see Hot Gossip live at Sheffield's Fiesta Club. The blonde in the middle of the photo (black top) made love convincingly to a chair on stage. I needed three cold showers when I got home.....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

This is still a great track it overlaps into the 70s.

Many back in the day movies have the "N" word in them Ofcom don't ban them from TCM, BBC, ITV. I can't fathom why some things are banned, others left alone. If it's good enough for youtube it's good enough for this forum.

Jarleboy and Andy Smith like this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Electric Warrior is magical. After all this time the original LP with all the things the review mentions, poster, illustrated inner and picture label, still feels like something special and is as cool as ever. It's one of my most treasured records in a massive collection.

I picked up the Mary Hopkin album a couple of years ago and liked it, beautiful stuff indeed, but I need to play it more. I got the CD cheap aswell not long later.

The Gerry Rafferty album in those reviews is excellent too.

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

When Errol Brown died there was a Hot Chocolate At The BBC tribute on BBC Four, lots of Top of the Pops clips. I'd never listened to them much before then and was surprised how many great hit singles they had. I bought a double best of CD the next day and now also have their 70s LPs. They were very good and deserve to be remembered for more than just a few songs.

18. Northernlight

Northernlight Forum Resident

I've got the three Stealers Wheel albums and City To City, but I have some of his early tracks on folk comps and they're really good. I've got 'Night Owl' on several 70s comps, which I always liked. I had that on a single in 1979, when I was at school.

Jarleboy, Man at C&A and Baz66 like this.
  19. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

I stumbled on this the other week by accident i did not know it was a single. It's incredibly sad and bad. I could not work it out if i was stoned out my mind or really watching it. I don't know if this was seen around the world it's the theme to a pathetic kids tv show. Ok i suppose for 3 year olds.

I thought the 9 to 5 video was bad, this takes the biscuit!!!

20. Baz66

Baz66 CD Music Fan

The great man. Got a chance of being the first heavy rock track to reach the top spot in the UK singles charts.

21. Bobby Morrow

I have City To City and Night Owl on a CD two-fer. The latter is very good. Close to the former in fact.

Jarleboy and Northernlight like this.
  22. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I certainly won´t argue with that. They had a very recognisable sound - and a very recognisable and distinctive lead singer.

23. Northernlight

I used to watch that Rupert the Bear show at the dawn of the 70s. I've got fond memories of it; it was a different world back then.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    Ignominious, Baz66 and Jarleboy like this.
  24. Northernlight

My father's pet hate! He was a bus driver in the late 60s/early 70s and he had to go and pick up some students one night-shift; he went inside the college and it was pitch black, everyone was stoned and Jimi was playing at maximum volume. He's hated him ever since. I've often thought Jimi was the reason he had a slight problem with my being left-handed - I was the only one to darken my paternal family's door with such an affliction. I don't think they ever forgave me for that ("He doesn't get it from our side of the family!"). I was born slightly before Jimi was known, though, so maybe not.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. Northernlight

And 'Emma' still sounds pretty spooky today. 'Put Your Love In Me' also sounds pretty ominous, even though it probably shouldn't, given the subject matter. Lyrically, 'Put Your Love In Me' is more Barry White.

Man at C&A, Baz66 and Jarleboy like this.