Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Yes and I don’t think that will be enough to build interest. Maybe disc 2 will deliver a pleasant surprise.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Yes..will give a whole new meaning to the words remastered sound and picture quality. They could even put an * this version removes deafening squeal and improves picture quality and video syncing. :laugh:

leicbri likes this.
  4. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I’m bummed that there won’t be a DVD release. I hope this is not a trend with future releases. Its so hard to get video releases from her on quality DVD especially her early stuff. I want the Had To Be video on DVD when they get to the 95 era.

leicbri and Mezepokaj like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Interesting that you’d expect a quality DVD from Primary Wave.:D

There’s probably lots of footage that was shot in 1971 for the promotion of the singles and album. Sadly, I suspect much of it will have been wiped and the rest would be difficult to get the rights to. Some bits are on YouTube though. Just type in Olivia Newton-John 1971.

BeSteVenn, leicbri, Mezepokaj and 2 others like this.
  6. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I should be careful what I wish for as Primary is liable to give us a YouTube rip of Don’t Move Away and make us pay for it. :rolleyes:

Rosewater and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  8. Pizza

9. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

It came up on a google search when searching for the If Not For You Deluxe Set. It said 10 days ago on Eil so I’m not sure. I’ve never seen it either but the person laminated it but can also be rolled. Looks mint.

It appears Tower Records Japan is also showing the Cd and LP deluxe set for If Not For You. The translation doesn’t show any new info. Release date the same.

Pizza likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

If the If Not For You reissue really is out early next month, Primary Wave should be announcing it by now, shouldn’t they?

KJTC, colinu and leicbri like this.
  11. Pizza

Roll a standee? I can’t imagine that. Lol! I’m glad I don’t chase this stuff anymore. :)

12. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

That’s exactly my worry with the chronological plan - it could quickly run out of steam. I think they can make a good fist of INFY on the basis that it’s “Olivia Newton-John’s debut album” - but it’ll be interesting to see where they go next.

In terms of high-profile studio albums - which we may expect are the ones that will merit Deluxe Editions - there really are only three more: IYLMLMK and HYNBM (both #1 albums) and Totally Hot.

Of course, I *want* Deluxe Editions of others (especially Soul Kiss and The Rumour) but how likely are they, I wonder?

pghmusiclover, Pizza and Bobby Morrow like this.
  13. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

To really maintain interest (both among record-buyers generally, and fans who have preferences for different ONJ “eras”) and also to maximise sales potential in the early phase of the campaign, my preferred order would be something like…

2021 - Physical (40th anniversary) :righton:
    2022 - INFY (debut album) :righton:
    2023 - Totally Hot (45th anniversary & tie-in with Grease 45th - presuming there are some Grease-related bonuses - hopefully Xanadu, too)
    Early 2024 - IFYLMLM (first US #1 album)
    Later 2024 - HYNBM (second US #1 album)
    2025 - Soul Kiss (40th anniversary, which I’m sure EVERYONE will be excited about!)
    2026/7 - Other early 70s albums
    2028 - The Rumour (40th anniversary)
    etc…

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. Pizza

That’s a sloooooow roll out. I have to imagine most Olivia fans are older and getting even older. 6 years is a long time. They should be releasing these titles in groups and at two years top for everything to get released.

I can understand Physical being a stand alone release but the rest of her solo albums are generally forgotten by the public. (Not us, of course!) Totally Hot may still have some potential and Xanadu would do well especially with ELO fans included, but I’m biased there as it’s one of my favorite records. :)

The only release she has that is commercially timeless is Grease. They’ll be able to rerelease that for another 50 years.

I'm happy to get what we get. But I’ll be thrilled if we at least get deluxe versions of Have You Never Been Mellow and Totally Hot. A deluxe Xanadu would be a dream come true for me. :agree:

15. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Yeah, at this point a deluxe Xanadu is my #1 most-desired CD release by any artist. All the songs from the movie -- including the B-sides -- in both their album edits and their full-length movie versions, along with the full instrumental score, plus any remixes, alternate versions, demos, etc.

If the early albums all include unreleased tracks and alternate versions of songs, I'm OK with a chronological roll-out. I'm more interested in unreleased material than I am in anything else. I'd prefer a bit faster pace on the release schedule, of course. Maybe they could do a "big" album between each of the early albums -- Physical, If Not for You, Totally Hot, Let Me Be There, Soul Kiss, If You Love Me Let Me Know, that sort of thing.

Mr. Even B, BeSteVenn, KJTC and 2 others like this.
  16. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Oh, I’d definitely favour a faster roll-out. And yes to the idea of groups of releases. I just worry that that’s not their strategy.

I mean, a great announcement this year would be, “following the success of the Deluxe Edition re-release of Olivia Newton-John’s iconic Physical album from 1981, Primary Wave are proud to announce three further Deluxe Edition releases from the beloved singer for 2022: her debut album, If Not For You (1971); her first US #1 album, If You Love Me Let Me Know (1974); and her breakout pop album Totally Hot (1978). Bonuses include unreleased tracks, b-sides, remixes, videos, and exclusive material from her landmark movies Grease and Xanadu.”

THAT is how to make a splash! :agree:

KJTC, Pizza and Bobby Morrow like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

I wonder what Olivia’s reaction was when they told her the next reissue would be her debut album that had 2 different titles and (at least) 4 sleeve variants…

They don’t make it easy for her, do they?

leicbri likes this.
  18. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Given the amount of "botanicals" she probably uses for pain management, my guess is that she thought re-releasing her debut album was just fine. She probably doesn't even remember most of what she recorded for that album...or what the cover looked like...

19. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

:idea: A thought: could the absence of The Rumour on some streaming platforms in some territories mean that it is keyed up for imminent remastered release?

Just as Gaia was a surprise remaster that slipped in while the Physical campaign was happening, might The Rumour get the same treatment?

The logic would be that Olivia possibly has quite a fondness for that album since she had more of a hand in writing it than she had had in previous albums…

And given that Gaia came out specifically at her request, who’s to say she hasn’t made other such requests?

We’ve been thinking in terms of whether they’ll go chronologically or will alternate 70s/80s releases - but maybe they will actually alternate ‘mainstream commercial’ releases and passion projects?

Physical… Gaia.

INFY… The Rumour?

Totally Hot… Grace and Gratitude?

KJTC, pghmusiclover and Bobby Morrow like this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Maybe, but I think The Rumour was released on streaming platforms in most territories. Just not the States. As far as I know, INFY isn’t on any of them.

21. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I wonder what’s keeping it from release in the States - surely the biggest market?

22. Bobby Morrow

I don’t know. It’s weird. Time will tell.

23. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

I like this idea. She has a diverse catalog and alternating between earlier and later albums is a smart move for fan engagement. Keeps fans of all eras invested.

I do think it’s funny to include Soul Kiss as a “big album” in between each of the early albums. Truth be told, If You Love Me and Let Me Be There were much bigger albums than Soul Kiss. Yes, it was certified gold, but a huge part of that shipment went into the cutout bins after Christmas. LMBT and IYLMLMK were steady catalog sellers well into the eighties.

However, the big albums you listed all have compelling content for DVD bonus discs, so it would be very smart to alternate them in that way!

24. NoYesMaybe

It probably is just a matter of territory rights... Geffen (or whomever Geffen belongs to nowadays) has The Rumour rights until 202?... After that, the Primary Waves will be, will be... It most probably is something as simple as that!

25. NoYesMaybe

The right thing to do for Primary Waves would be to have someone in charge of Olivia's business and be at it full time. Take a year, take 2 years, and then make it a thing, gives us everything at once, make a big deal out of it (marketing) and be done with it. I don't really understand the whole multi years thing going on.

Primary Waves probably already have/or deal with an Artwork and Design studio and remastering an album takes about 3-4 hours... In 2 weeks all of her stuff should be ready for prime soundwise... I understand research can be long, thus why I say take a year or two but multi years? I don't get it...

Let's face it, the whole deluxe thing is for us, and while we are a whining and passionate gang, we are a small bunch in the scheme of things... Primary Waves won't sell millions of Olivia's anything I am afraid... I love her dearly but The Beatles she is not. Unless perhaps, one of her song is on the next Stranger Things à la Kate Bush... Alas, Twist Of Fate didn't quite worked the way Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) did...

So, If Primary Waves waits too long, a few of us might be dead or deaf at the very least... :uhhuh::unhunh::biglaugh:

leicbri and Bobby Morrow like this.