UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

Yes, I'm afraid I do this too!

CDFanatic, JustVinyl, mc7t and 3 others like this.
  2. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Unless the copy I have is in poor nick, or there are known mastering variations, I leave them behind. But I’ll usually pick them up and look at them, and maybe move them to the front of the rack as a way of showing my appreciation.

I don’t like to think of what treasures I might have missed out on because someone who already had them couldn’t leave them behind!

CHALKERS, Ste_S, The Sprawl and 3 others like this.
  3. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

Left behind a Kind of Blue the other day. Thought about it as a comparison A/B disc for my CD players but then thought, nope, someone else should experience the joy of owning this at only $3 - my good deed for the day :laugh:

4. Dirty Bertie

So yesterday before work I thought I'd get that Felt CD I'd left behind the other day. No such luck. Instead, another kind of luck. I was on the tram on my way to the shop with the Felt CD but decided to hop off because I was paranoid about travelling without a mask (we've got a lot of Covid cases here at the moment plus I didn't want to risk a fine). As luck would have it, I alighted outside another Vinnie's op shop, also a regular haunt. Thought I'd pop in and see if they had masks for sale. I'm there anyway, why not check out the CDs...

First thing I see on the usually bare electronics shelf is a mid-90s Sony A/V receiver, complete with phono input, for $12! Picked it up and had decent heft. Looked clean too. Had a quick scan of the CDs - nothing. Did pick up a vinyl copy of Sky Masterpieces for $3 though. But the big prize today was definitely the Sony receiver.

Lugged it home on the tram. My wife gave me an incredulous look as I walked in the door with it. Another piece of bloody audio gear :unhunh: Turned it on and the bloody thing went straight into protect mode. Opened the top and the innards were filthy thick with dust. Gave it a clean and tried again. This time it worked. Only problem is one channel does cut in and out. Could be a cold solder joint or something. Will have a look but have a friend far more capable than me who could probably fix it.

Should make a nice match for my early 90s Sony CD player.

[​IMG]

5. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

Well, compared to my LP copy, this CD seems to overemphasise the vocals and rhythm section.

6. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Fifty pence each at the hospice shop: Moondance by Van Morrison and Heart of the Congos by The Congos – a 1996 two-disc reissue. Both in very nice condition.

Also seen, but not bought: Live Rust (Neil Young) and Fall Heads Roll (The Fall). Have both already.

Plus an entire Bon Jovi collection. Not my thing.

Also saw Black Grape’s debut but the disc was a CD-R.

Tempted by a Velvet Underground compilation too but have all the tracks on other releases.

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Amazed to see the Congos for 50p.

8. Nancy Luger

Nancy Luger Forum Resident

Amazed to see the Congos at all! Wonder if there was any more Blood & Fire goodies already been snapped up.

CHALKERS, Ital Galore and Man at C&A like this.
  9. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

If there were any others they were long gone.

Ital Galore and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

Amazing to see any Blood & Fire at all really, the only ones that I have ever seen in charity shops are Dubwise & Otherwise compilations

Ital Galore and Man at C&A like this.
  11. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

After last Friday's nice finds in Carnforth, I decided to go back this morning and check out the shops again. One closes on Wednesdays, but the other had a Tinariwen CD for 99p. Mine now.

[​IMG]

12. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Got stuck behind a bloke today who was taking every CD off the shelf by the handful, inspecting them and putting them back - SPINES IN! When he finally finished, I of course put them back the right way.

I didn't find anything there, but in the next place I bought this 2012 compilation of Amy Winehouse covers for a pound. Once again I caused chaos at the till simply by producing my loyalty card.

Various - Back To Back To Black

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If only you knew when he'd next be there, you could hire me, and I'd point out the error of his ways and hopefully discourage him from doing it in future.;)

Incidentally I have got some potentially nice charity shop finds, but I haven't received them yet, my brother has picked up some nice bits in his local St. Peter's Hospice, once I meet up with him and get them I will post some pics.

MC Rag, mark e, Man at C&A and 3 others like this.
  14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Someone needs to start a band called Charity Shop Regulars and make a song called Chaos At The Till.

EG.

15. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

Be the chaos you want to see!

16. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I highly doubt there was. Anyone buying that kind of stuff woudn't leave The Congos for 50p.

I see very little quality reggae in charity shops. I got the Blood and Fire Horace Andy In The Light and Burning Spear - Social Living CDs in charities, but that was years ago.

18. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's a CD I'd love to find. All the Aswad albums at least up to 1982 are good to great.

20. Flannel

Flannel Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm disappointed in myself for leaving it.

21. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

A bit of holiday chazzing, from the honesty-box second hand bookshop at Oxburgh Hall, a wonderful National Trust property in Norfolk.

[​IMG]

50p each. Always nice to find Supraphon and Mercury discs (particularly Dorati!). The Bruch is an experiment, as he’s a composer I’m completely unfamiliar with.

All are full of dead thunderbugs, which I think may indicate they came from the same collection. They were certainly a cut above the rest of the CDs on sale.

I also got an old soft bound Chappell vocal score of Gilbert & Sullivan’s Trial By Jury for a few quid, which is an uncommon find and a gap in my collection.

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

We've all done that kind of thing.

23. IanD41

IanD41 Forum Resident

These days affecting a good coughing session usually clears a pathway for you (especially if you mutter something about 'this damn Covid!')

24. Dirty Bertie

Slightly off topic but I get a laugh seeing the price some people slap on records on places like Marketplace. I'm sure we've all seen our share of Neil Sedaka records clogging up op shops in our time but this must be a pretty special Neil Sedaka album. And after all, vinyl is hip these days!

Record - Neil Sedaka’s Golden Hits LP. Some scuffs and minor marks. $45 or a reasonable offer will be considered. See my other items listed by clicking on my name and scrolling. Follow me to be one of the first to see my new listings.

AlmostHeavenWV and Flannel like this.
  25. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

More smooth-sided positively ancient CDs… bunch of Enja titles, Dollar Brand &c. Most Japanese. I dig Dollar Brand at Montreux. Great fun.