The U.K. 70s Singles & Albums Chart General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Northernlight

Northernlight Forum Resident

They were great days. I'll always miss them.

2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Me neither, and I thought I knew them all…

Randoms, Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. Northernlight

Looking for some hot stuff, baby, this evening... Aye, them were t'days.

Strange to see the post-Wilko Dr. Feelgood getting such a positive review.

4. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I have always loved Hot Chocolate.
    They deserve to be remembered, they were one of the first and biggest U.K. multi cultural bands. They also had loads of great hit singles throughout the 70’s and into the 80’s. Sadly they seem to be pretty much forgotten these days, but of course that can change…

5. Northernlight

I love The Kick Inside. I spent the 1978 summer holidays listening to that. Everyone thought she was weird back then, so it suited me fine. It's funny how others see you, isn't it? I remember reading - sometime in the 80s - about George Harrison sitting on top of a mountain for days in search of truth. I told my mother about it, in a tone that said, he's bonkers, right?, and she said to me, "I could imagine you doing something like that." And I said, "WHAAAAT?"

carlwm, Baz66, Randoms and 1 other person like this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I hope so, usually bands who had that many original hit singles for so many years are seen as 'classic' and 'legendary' and all that, even if they go through a period of being uncool. Hot Chocolate do seem to be barely mentioned at all these days.

7. Northernlight

Just as long as it's not in the form of hideous contemporising, like that ghastly 1987 version of 'You Sexy Thing'. Vintage records should stand on their own feet and sound like they were meant to sound.

bob60, Man at C&A and Jarleboy like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

It’s odd that now The Kick Inside is probably Kate’s most straightforward pop album. It’s very commercial for her!

carlwm, Randoms, Man at C&A and 2 others like this.
  9. Northernlight

Yeah, but nobody knew that then. My three favourites are The Kick Inside, Never Forever and Hounds Of Love... Sort of every other album. The Red Shoes would have continued that trend if it hadn't been so bloated (the curse of the early 90s) and run out of steam in the latter half. The first half was fantastic. Love the title track. It's the Mick in me...

10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I like Lionheart and The Sensual World too. The latter has really grown on me over the years.

Randoms, Northernlight and Jarleboy like this.
  11. Northernlight

Really? That must be where they got the idea for Potsie Webber's version of the same song in Happy Days, only it was a bulldog, of course.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Northernlight

I like them all, but I thought Ariel was a bit of a drag in places. Not 'Bertie', though! The medieval folkie in me really appreciates that. I could imagine myself dancing with Catherine Of Aragon...

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  13. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I quite liked "Aerial", but it is a lot of music to get through. A lot! I played the two discs over two days. I liked all the songs, but... It´s not one I am eager to revisit. I am lazy...

Northernlight and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. Northernlight

I loved that name... 'Ruby Flipper'. I think they should kept them longer. It was nice having a mixed dance troupe. I always went to a mixed school, so I appreciated Ruby Flipper. If I hadn't been to a mixed school, I would never have been stalked by three girls, which is only flattering in retrospect. At the time, I hated it. I don't know... me and my tangents. As Billy Ocean once said, stop me if you've heard it all before...

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I’ll find a few more out when I return home (in about 4 days. Cat-sitting for my son in Barnsley).

bob60, Jarleboy and Northernlight like this.
  16. Northernlight

The thrill of it all, eh?

Andy Smith and Jarleboy like this.
  17. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Kiss were absolute nitwits. A Poundshop Alice Cooper crossed with The New York Dolls, they had zero originality and even less artistry. It was all about $$$. Simmons' attitude to young female fans is pathetic. What a scuzzball. The reason they didn't tour the UK in 1978 is because they meant zilch here, and never did amount to much until Crazy Crazy Nights in 1987.

18. Northernlight

Yeah. That washing machine thing and the mathematical one... Bored me to tears, I'm afraid. I'm sounding like a philistine now, aren't I?

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. Jarleboy

Nevah! :righton:

Northernlight likes this.
  20. Northernlight

It was just a brief fling. I used to come home from primary and junior schools and put adhesive gold and silver stars on my face in homage to Marc Bolan. Then, when Kiss came along...

Alf. and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Northernlight

I liked the Barbra Streisand spoof, with the ever-expanding nose.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Jarleboy

And parading around as Rod Stewart, singing "Da Ya Think I´m Sexy" and having more than his ego inflated! (NB! I do like Rod Stewart. Seems like a fun guy.)

And when Sting hits on poor Kenny... What was Kylie´s first no. 1 again? :laugh:

Baz66 and Northernlight like this.
  23. Northernlight

He does indeed! I think he's got a lot of integrity, actually. Did you see him filling in the potholes?

Kylie Minogue's first no. 1? You got me.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Dire Straits were such dullards. Whereas the Nick Lowe & Dave Edmunds respective albums were the musical bees knees. Labour Of Lust is definitely 'pure pop for now people', and contains Basher's best ever song: Cruel To Be Kind. Whilst Mr Edmunds drops the trad dad of yore, swapping it for a large dose of, infinitely more interesting, power pop.

I've posted this before, but it's so good that I'll give it another whirl. Nick Lowe, live on Australia's Countdown, with Cruel To Be Kind:

Dave Decadent, Randoms, bob60 and 2 others like this.
  25. Northernlight

Well, that comment picked up after a terrible beginning.

Jarleboy likes this.