Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You know though, as the series has gotten darker there are less and less proper songs right? Or am I imagining this?

trd and GregM like this.
  2. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

A possibility is that Gene's backup plan is to take his identity for himself.

3. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Intriguing.

VU Master, GMfan87' and Chrome_Head like this.
  4. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

The drug doesn't work no more

Brian Doherty and Jerry Horne like this.
  5. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I've noticed this as well.
    He said 'So you are Igor and you ..are..Heisenberg' (no biggee, but I've watched it twice now and recall this as exactly what he said -I think...)

That was a standout for me as well.

Tim S likes this.
  6. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Question re Jesse and Walt appearance---did I not read in this thread Paul claiming it was all a greenscreen shot? If so, do we think he was lying? If that was not shot in an actual mock up trailer with Bob in it with them, that was pretty great work to my eyes.

7. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

It seems to me like the trailer they were in Monday evening was about 10 times bigger than the original RV. It looked like a freaking banquet hall in there!

8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

They may have used green screen for some other scenes that they shot, a green screen might work for the exterior seen from the inside looking out, but not for the inside of the Winnebago itself.

9. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Thought that's what I had originally heard--but it was confirmed on the Insider Podcast that they were taken to a secret set that was made to look like the Winnebago. There may have been green screen used there as well as they may have wanted to adjust certain elements later.

10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Only 2 Episodes left... :sigh:

11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It all just seemed off--the way the RV looked, the way the characters looked and acted. It was a lot of effort to just get that postproduced effect of the empty grave morphing into Saul lying on his bed. Tail wagging dog and for this they had to cheapen both shows.

12. Chrome_Head

It was blatant fan service to be sure, but I see why they did it and it didn’t bother me that much.

trd and GMfan87' like this.
  13. Brian Doherty

For down the line SAUL stans---I want to hear why you believe it is more narratively PLEASING to not understand why things are happening. Like, clearly if we got to HEAR the phone booth convo, we would presumably understand the whys of the rest of the ep.

Especially with just two eps left---why is it more narratively PLEASING to you to have to make wild guesses? It is just a storytelling style that seems designed to please the writers with their cleverness, and certain viewers who DO guess right, or I guess people who find positive pleasure in just making wild guesses about the motivations of characters actions. I dunno, it irks me.

GregM and GMfan87' like this.
  14. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

Maybe, but can you imaging the bitch#ng if they did not bring back Walt & Jesse? It was okay.

15. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

You make good points but a lot of the stuff that is discussed here and questioned is really just for conversation isn’t it?
    Most of the smaller details I just let it unfold and don’t dwell on any little puzzles they throw at us.

Spitfire and trd like this.
  16. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I think they had to because most of the players of BB were reintroduced so how could they leave the most important two out..
    Just wish Paul was more Jesse like.

RSteven and Chrome_Head like this.
  17. trd

trd Forum Resident

Im a big fan of the use of Sidewinder in Magic Man (season 5 episode 1)

Tim S and mpayan like this.
  18. trd

trd Forum Resident

I don’t enjoy making wild guesses and haven’t done so. I enjoy the suspense of not quite knowing and wondering how it will resolve.

notesofachord, empirelvr and dsdu like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, one good thing about the Walt and Jesse scene is that though it was pretty much useless it didnt do any wacked out damage.

Hopefully, at the very least, the same can be said for future Walt and Jesse scenes. Id imagine those scenes will all be BB timelines. Which at least should have to stick to whatever the premise of a particuliar BB scene was. So they cant get too crazy...I hope :sigh:

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

There is another song used in the Mike and Jimmy lost in the desert episode.

Took me awhile to find it because the song fooled me. They use the part after the 2 min mark not the beginning. But I think the entire song is pretty cool.

FF to 2:00 to hear the part they used in the desert episode..

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Another very cool riff song. Bluesy. This one is from the same group who wrote the Better Call Saul opening theme....

Little Barrie's "Why Dont You Do it"

Used in the scene from the print shop where Jimmy is changing the address on the Mesa Verde paperwork to make Chuck look like an idiot and get the job back for Kim.

"I know he swapped those numbers, I knew it was 1216 — one after Magna Carta, as if I could ever make such a mistake! Never, never! I just-I just couldn't prove it!

Im not crazy!!"

trd and Chrome_Head like this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

I Like this theory!!!

Chrome_Head likes this.
  23. Chrome_Head

I don’t mind not knowing everything at once, and I like to be surprised. I’ve been pleasantly surprised many times by this show.

Only problem is when the payoff is lame.

Exactly. And they were the last of the relevant cast from BB that we hadn’t really seen appear on BCS.

It’s not a surprise they couldn’t find more to do with them. Even the cameo in El Camino was just spending more time with the pair.

George P likes this.
  24. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

With so many flashbacks, and forwards, and present actions, it was nice to have the b&w and color to let me know where I was at different times.

25. Brian Doherty

Thanks for the answers re the "enjoying not knowing why things are happening." It obviously works for many. Heck, I've hung in to the end so maybe even I secretly love it.

For me the "suspense" of what is GOING to happen is more than enough; don't feel I need the suspense of "what is going on in front of my eyes and why?" that makes up sooooo much of this show's narrative. But it works for the writers I guess and for many viewers.

Specifically, UNTIL I understand that phone convo, i am not going for a second to believe there is the slightest verisimilitude to Gene's actions this ep. And it's annoying to ME to have to wait a week to understand why I should believe in what I'm seeing NOW. (I am on the side of thinking that like half of this whole series's plot---the actual incidents happening---are wildly wildly unbelievable and cockamamie and depend way too much on the incredible brilliance of a varied set of schemers.)

trd likes this.