Is “Dedicated Listening” becoming a lost art?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

I’m not sure I totally agree with that - of course there are instances this is true, but then if you consider how some modern pop lyrics contain references to growing up in urban poverty, the lure of crime and drugs, inequalities, gender fluidity etc. Compared to I Want To Hold Your Hand it could also be said it’s the other way round!

popol_vuh and Khorn like this.
  2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I think that the older pop music of the 50s and 60s was much more joyful and made you want to be engaged. Songs like "All My Loving', "Daydream Believer",
    "My Love" (Petula Clark) just make you stop what you are doing, listen, groove and enjoy. its not "backround listening".

Khorn likes this.
  3. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Last year my wife and I finished a few rooms in our unfinished basement. One is a room where she has an office and a craft room (completely studded and walled), another room is a music/lounge room (more "my" room; completely studded and walled). I painted the ceiling in the finished rooms so it has that industrial look (no drop ceiling). We have a third area that is partially finished with storage, an exercise area and the furnace and sump pump in the corner of it.

Anyways, it was fun finishing the basement with intentions to create a dedicated music room for listening. I am not done with it; there are some other priorities we've had with costs and when the weather gets to fall/winter here in Indiana I'll get back to creating a set-up. The room is finished with furniture and all that, just have a temporary CD shelf system down there for listening (which I haven't been doing much lately, however). Want to get a new turntable, speakers and amp/receiver for the area.

Going with the topic at hand, it makes me think about how I bought a TV for the room. It was just sitting down in the room, waiting to be mounted. But I was conflicted--I already have a few rooms with TVs, do I really need antother TV in the house? I talked with my wife and told her I had a lot of thoughts about the room. I told her I was planning on returning the TV, and I did.

I just thought about having a room for LISTENING TO MUSIC and reading--things I feel like a lot of people don't do as much (and I admit, I don't put a lot of dedicated energy into those aspects all of the time). The TV would have been another distraction; additionally, I want physical media to escape the phone listening. I can't tell you how much I get turned off by listening to music on a phone over BluTooth. It's nice to have it for earbuds when I'm working out and doing some chores, but it's just not the same as playing an album on a system. I also never really had a dedicated system, so it'll be a new adventure.

Also a nice thing: my wife is all about it! Gotta love that!

4. drew phillips

drew phillips Forum Resident

I have 2hrs to myself most nights in my bunker. I listen in the dark and just let the music wash over me. A wee dram or two really helps. Its not an art but i do find i enjoy being absorbed by the music. Its also an escape from day to day grunge.

5. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Sounds therapeutic!

GyroSE and Khorn like this.
  6. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

If sitting on my *ss is an art, I'm more talented than I'd realized. I do listen to music as a primary/sole activity, though, not as background noise or while reading, web surfing, etc. Spinning LPs is a real treat for me but the family enjoys it as well.

ThinWhiteDuke, bever70, Boomy and 2 others like this.
  7. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I'm in my work van listening to a crappy car stereo all day, at the end of the day I do like to sometimes just sit between two speakers and zone out for a little while. Some of our vans just have AM/FM and 5" door speakers so after listening to crap all day it makes me appreciate my system even more.

Khorn likes this.
  8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

In my experience, just sitting and listening to music while doing nothing else has always been a rare activity done by we strange people, an activity that others think is odd. I've never known anyone else in my personal life out in the wild in the last 50 years who does it. Mostly music is background stuff, soundtrack to life stuff, social stuff or stuff people put on while the surf the internet.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    Carl Swanson, bever70 and JackG like this.
  9. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Don’t get me wrong. Although I’m sitting listening to music we do have a great window in the room.
    We live in green park like area in the middle of a bustling city. We’re situated behind a school and love people watching specially those with dogs. We’ve even given our own names to the dogs and even some of the people who regularly walk past.

Things like these are a great accompaniment to listening to music like watching life walk by. There's a nice big Mountain Ash (I think) tree on our front lawn that is used by many birds most seasons that also provides great entertainment.

And no, I don’t sit staring straight ahead gazing at the wall across from me for hours on end while listening. If so they would have taken me away a long time ago.

10. Khorn

I must admit I get a certain satisfaction when people listening to a favourite on my system for the first time declare something like “Wow I’ve heard this music all my life but never believed it could sound like that, so “real, clear and alive”.
    Then I know I’ve done things right.

Oddiofyl, Jaxjax67, Boomy and 4 others like this.
  11. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

Performing music is art. Even practicing is art. Listening is...listening.

kyouki, Dave Mac, Coltrane811 and 3 others like this.
  12. hman

hman Forum Resident

...not for the people on this forum

Khorn likes this.
  13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

For myself it is a very rare occasion that I am simply sitting and listening to music. For instance almost every time I am on the forum I am listening to music. Music is on for several hours each day but my focus on the music shifts...

Long Live Analog and Khorn like this.
  14. Khorn

Agre 100%. Maybe I used the wrong terminology.

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I do the latter. Rarely for hours at time. Usually one album/piece at a time, maybe two. Often with my eyes closed actually. For me sitting and listening to music (and not looking at anything, maybe that's why I'm particularly drawn to hifi equipment that images well and recordings that emphasis you-are-there sonics and imaging) -- the way maybe people sit and read a book or sit any watch a movie -- is mostly the way I listen to music. When I'm doing other things in life, I rarely have music on.

Dave Mac and Khorn like this.
  16. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident

Im 48 years old i was born and bread to be a Stereo/Motorcycle/Car head its in my blood. As a youngsta my dad had a built 57 Belair Coupe, a H20 750 that ran high 9's, a KZ Z1r 1000....then a Mazda Rx-7 the First in southwestern Ohio to take delivery of one, so i was introduced to a bunch of cool things out of the womb.

But it was when he Bought the Nakimichi tape deck, Shure Cartridge for his BM turntable, Carver MA500 cube Amp....and the Crown Jewel the Ohm Walsh2 this is what really turned my wheels even as a 8 year old. This forever entrenched me into being a audiophile, he had several friends with cool systems to from 901s to Quads, yeah the BROTHAS was and is into audio like that.Lol

I guess my point is what i was taught if you have a hobby or a goal you must put dedicated time into it so it can manifest into its top form of performance whatever that hobby or goal is. I have been fortunate to have a dedicated from for almost 20 years, but i feel i have taken it for granite...yes i listen for hours upon hours alone..its been years since i had a Audio Pal...sometimes i think this is what we need along as your goals align...

GyroSE, Dave Mac and Khorn like this.
  17. Khorn

I guess in one form or another we have our individual way of “dedicated” listening. I would think our enjoyment of music is what it’s all about. If it weren’t for music most of us wouldn’t be here in the first place.

hman and Tawaun A Williams like this.
  18. Tawaun A Williams

I Love Love Music....but i'd be lying if i didnt say i love the gear and science behind it just as much as the music....to me its a handshake and you need both...so you might as well appreciate and relish in both of them...

19. Khorn

Agreed. What is obvious to many here seems to be a bone of contention with others. I agree it goes hand in hand to gain to obtain the superiorthat results that can enable “deeper involvement” with the music. Yes it does.

20. Tawaun A Williams

Agreed...i dont agree with those type of audiophiles...you can do it all you just have to be willing to share and multi-task with other people...

Khorn likes this.
  21. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

Listening will inform your play. The more you listen, the more you develop expectations and concepts that transfer into your play.

mrz80, Khorn and Tawaun A Williams like this.
  22. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Haha, when I do this (which is very rare), I put on Chris Isaak 'Wicked Game' because most of my friends know this song by heart, having it heard all their live on radios etc. I tell them to just close their eyes when the music starts. First, they smile and second, when he starts to sing, the smile gets bigger (some even start laughing out loud) and most of them open their eyes to check with reality :D.

23. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Bingo. Eyes closed and preferably in a dark room. In fact, my listening habits are somewhat seasonal since my room, with its large bay window (but no bay, unfortunately) is pretty bright this time of year so I sometimes get started late.

Tawaun A Williams and Khorn like this.
  24. Khorn

Mine is usually later afternoon. I like the window in good weather so I’ll wear a cap so the brim can cut the glare if needed.

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  25. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

In short yes I do

Khorn likes this.