Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I'm sure we can pick any show apart as nothing is perfect and some things are a matter of preference . Not to turn this into more about BB, but if there's a short answer, in what ways flawed?
    I didn't necessarily care for some of the moves in season 5 but it all came together in the end.
    I always liked how they showed you something in the beginning of the episode and you'd find out later it's meaning, I hadn't seen that done before in other shows.
    I don't feel that's been done here to the same great effect, but these two see shows differ in many ways.
    Mpayan- the Frankenstein angle, wow must of taken lots of time to put that together and post it !!
    I could see a bit of the symbolism and know you enjoy delving into their motivations but don't believe the writers had all that intention behind it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    mpayan and Chrome_Head like this.
  2. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

His old car ?
    Yeah this one doesn't reveal anything either.
    I remember Mad Men had trailers of brief scenes, quotes and it was nothing you could piece together.

3. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

I found this and you can take it for what it's worth:
    "The ‘inaudible’ conversation in the phone booth is actually pretty audible in the German dub. Here is what is said,”

German: „Du hast keine Ahnung was ich getan, oder nicht getan habe, okay? Wieso stellst DU dich nicht, auf mich musst du keine Rücksicht nehmen, ich kann nur EINMAL gehängt werden. Okay, hör zu, Kim, wieso reden wir überhaupt darüber. Wir beide sind zu clever…
    English translation: (The beginning is inaudible…but it’s mid-sentence and he is already upset about what Kim must have said): “(…) you have no idea what I did or didn’t do, okay? Why don’t YOU turn yourself in, you don’t have to be considerate of me, I can only be hanged ONCE. Okay, look, Kim, why are we even talking about this. We’re both too smart…“

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well I didnt say it was revealing lol just said it might be a spoiler for some. Just trying not ruin anything for anyone.

Seems Gene is not doing well though eh? :sigh:

GMfan87' likes this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

kouzie likes this.
  6. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

It doesn't make sense this is audible in German but wasn't intended to be heard.
    It cut off and I didn't hear him say Kim.
    Well, we'll probably see in the next episode who he was talking to.

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think from what Ive read the german voice over was louder than the english dialogue. When I was in Germany I recall watching english movies with german voice overs (War Of The Worlds) and it was really loud. The one I posted is english. Someone just turned it up and filtered it somewhat sounds like. One can make out what Gene says.

GMfan87' likes this.
  8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That's not a trailer yet.
    Very weird how it's 'presented'.
    What significance could his old car abandoned in the desert have?
    Maybe the authorities find it and assume Saul has hightailed it to Mexico?
    Voice over is Saul calling the vacuum guy.
    This just seems like either the ultimate misdirection or I guess it's a hint that Saul returns to ABQ.

His return to ABQ kind of makes sense for a final reckoning episode I suppose, he probably just squeaks his way out of Omaha on the heels of being busted via Marion and her boy.

Kim will have a part in the finale, I imagine but beyond that who can say.

GMfan87' likes this.
  9. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear. Thread Starter

Alternatively, Kim could have just directly or indirectly said she did not want to see Jimmy, and he trashed the phone booth because of his overall frustration (maybe even mostly because of the loss of his money). Not working’ out like you thought it would, eh Jimmy? Jimmy is in Walter White mode. He wants to be in control doing what he loves and does best . . . right up until the time he drops dead. What else does he have to live for? Spending the rest of his life getting up a 5 AM to make cinnamon buns?

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What do you mean its not a trailer yet? Maybe I should have said teaser. You dont think its official?

11. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

The presentation of it seems to be in pre production as there is a counter shown at the bottom left on that screen and some weird red and white border around everything, this was shot looking at a computer screen of some type.

I can't say what it is exactly, but until it is officially shown on AMC it's just a IDK curiosity .

mpayan likes this.
  12. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I'll bet Robert Forster as the vacuum guy would have played into this final season of Better Call Saul had he not passed. Great actor and a real cool role in the series.

Nightfly68, TeddyB, Tim S and 6 others like this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I think BB actually got a bit draggy in places, never for too long, but enough that I wished they moved the story along quicker--even though it's told in a pretty rapid clip. A lot of it is spending time with the characters and establishing calm before the craziness. Some of the Skylar stuff was grating. An episode like "Peekaboo" in S2 just didn't work for me at all, the one where Jesse goes to get their meth back from the drugged out couple with the kid.

I actually liked BB S5 more than ever on this recent rewatch, particularly the dynamics between Walt, Jesse and Mike teamed up for a short time. They really crammed a lot in the final season and I think a rewatch (or two) really pays off what they accomplished with it, as there are many details.

GMfan87' and Szeppelin75 like this.
  14. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Didn't think much of this episode either. That's 2 in a row for me. For a season that had some great episodes this series is going out with a whimper. Hope the last 2 episodes make up for it.

proedros, Tim S, EVOLVIST and 2 others like this.
  15. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

I'm a down the line fan. I enjoy the confusions and time shifts because it's sort of fun for me to mull them over later and try to figure out what the writers are up to. It reminds me of the old John Le Carre novels (obviously much less kinetic and random than BCS, but equally cerebral I think) where the real story isn't revealed until the last chapter but if you study the clues closely enough, you might figure some of it out. I wouldn't exactly call that "pleasing", since it makes me struggle to follow things, but it adds interest and tweaks my imagination. I can understand why others don't like this kind of story telling, though.

16. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Speaking of which, IMDB (if you trust they are accurate) is showing ‘Spooge’ as a guest star in the finale.

Chrome_Head and VU Master like this.
  17. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Shows that present everything to you on a platter and explain the plot line bluntly to you minute by minute bore the hell out of me.

LivingForever, TeddyB and milankey like this.
  18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Not if the story is compelling and worth being told. One issue that clearly threw a wrench into the narrative is the loss of Robert Foster and the need to recast Jeffie. Not sure what happened there, but it seems like the story was originally going one way and now it's going a bit cuckoo with a concept for the endgame that seems to have surprised even the writers. It makes for a sort of fun watch when everything's unfolding but on repeat viewing I think the problems masked by jumping around in time, hiding phone conversations in an otherwise omniscient-perspective show, and other cheap gambits will become glaringly evident.

Spitfire and Brian Doherty like this.
  19. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I love cuckoo shows.

Remember this one?

Lodge 49
    [​IMG]

Cancelled after only two seasons because shows that explain everything logically to the audience are more popular, I guess.

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Loved that show

entropyfan and notesofachord like this.
  21. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Why even check IMDb? Don't people want to be surprised

22. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Its fun to try to solve a puzzle. I guess your alternative is wait until the puzzle is solved for you.

EddieMann likes this.
  23. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

But as mentioned earlier these are also potential spoilers, so I am leaving the thread again

somnar likes this.
  24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

This was super cuckoo but told linearly. A story worth telling, and a fitting ending.

25. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Speaking of Jimmy's mounting frustrations, what about the Sandpiper settlement? Isn't he still awaiting that payout and in hiding, is there any way he could arrange to receive it? I wonder if that was part of the argument with Kim. After a period of time maybe he'd be declared deceased and the money would go to her, since she's still his spouse.

RSteven, ubiknik and EVOLVIST like this.