"Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EternalReturn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

By the end of this afternoon, Priscilla Presley and I will have seen Elvis the movie five times. Today is the last time I plan to see it in a theater, unless there is some special showing on August 16th around these parts. I have already ordered the digital release from Amazon Prime and multiple copies of the 4K blu-ray version of the movie as well. Today is the private event showing that I secured for friends and family here in my small coastal town. I will report back any interesting feedback from this relatively small group of people, who are not necessarily big Elvis fans. One of our city council members was invited as well, but he has already seen the movie and liked it a lot, but his wife really loved it, Lol.

https://twitter.com/Cilla_Presley/status/1554188746471354368?s=20&t=H9Li3LWvOsBKF0ZjzPWqhg

Wow! I have to say, I myself have seen it 5 times. I believe if Elvis was here today and saw this film privately, he too, would say, “Damn, this kid has me down.” Then ask the projectionist to play it again.

2. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Shawn and RSteven like this.
  4. I wish I was in Oregon - love to join in for your private screening!

5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You and your lovely would have been first on my list, if you were closer to us. My daughter is really sad she's so far away as well. If you ever get near Brookings or Northern California, you need to stop by and I will take you all out to dinner. We are taking our small group out to a restaurant in the harbor after the show. It has outside seating and its about 73 degrees today in Brookings.

Shawn and Myke like this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I think the IndieWire article has better sources and runs counter to this idea, but who really knows for sure. Baz himself seemed to infer this movie was not going to stream on HBO Max until a bit later.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Myke

A bit ? I read he was looking at 2023, proving none of us knows until we know.

8. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I believe Baz said it would come in the early fall to HBO Max and several other articles refer to that statement. I believe this would indicate a mid September release to HBO Max streamers. I have it covered no matter what, since I have been an HBO Max subscriber ever since they offered a brand new exclusive Carrie Underwood Christmas concert special a couple of years ago. I have the digital version and the 4K version of Elvis already on preorder as well. I am not taking any chances, Lol.

Shawn and D-rock like this.
  9. Myke

I'll wait for the Deluxe that'll be packed with extras less than a year after the first release. :laugh:
    After the Get Back Blu ray blowing, I'll gladly wait for Elvis.

10. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Baz said it'll be years, not anytime soon, before he'd do an extended director's cut with extras.

Shawn, Grand_Ennui and MRamble like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

MRamble likes this.
  12. Myke

Yes.

13. Myke

Everybody lie$. I'll wait if I buy it at all. The HBO Max bill is already paid.

14. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I was blonde up until after high school, then it just kept getting darker. More dirty blonde, brown though. Guess I don't know much about Elvis. He definitely dyed it black. Haven't seen the movie yet. Waiting to watch from my iTunes pre-order.

Shawn likes this.
  15. garyt1957

garyt1957 Forum Resident

I bet Elvis would think the opposite. I don't think any of us think we sound like we do or act like we do. How many times have you told someone they have a certain quirk and they're like, " I don't do that!" Or how weird your voice sounds to you when you hear a recording.

skisdlimit and artfromtex like this.
  16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I just got back a couple of hours ago from our private showing of Elvis. I almost felt guilty as there was only four of us for the show. We invited about a dozen people, but showtime being at 2:00 pm on a Thursday probably was not helpful, but the movie ends this week, so our options were limited.

This was my lady's third time seeing Elvis, and I think she enjoyed it more this time than any other showing. She had fun pointing out a few things to her daughter who sat beside her. Her daughter was not an Elvis fan by any means and she loved the film too. She said Butler and Hanks were fantastic and she turned to me during the early Memphis scene and told me she wants the soundtrack album from the movie.

My other guest was my brother's wife and she thought the movie was fantastic and went by really fast. She told me she did not notice the length at all. She also said that Tom Hanks just melted away into Parker and she never thought about him being Tom Hanks during the movie. He became Parker to her.

I think my first time seeing Elvis and this fifth time with the private showing are my two favorite ones. I was just awestruck by how uncanny Austin Butler was to the actual Elvis. Everything from the way he jiggles a shoulder as he walks to how he mumbles or talks. He has Elvis's humanity, humor and temper, all rolled into a ball of charisma and vulnerability.

I found myself enjoying every minute of the film, from the gorgeous outfits and truly fantastic cinematography to all the side characters. I love the voices and acting skills of Kelvin Harrison Jr. as BB King and Dacre Montgomery as Steve Binder. Every time Parker calls Binder "Bindel," it made me laugh again. It is so Tom Parkerish, Lol.

I can hardly wait to view this movie on my big QLED Samsung screen at home. The preview clips from Amazon Prime looks and sounds just amazing. It is suppose to go active at 9:00 pm on Monday night, August 8th.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    Greenalishi, Shawn, neo123 and 4 others like this.
  17. 80steen

80steen John McClane

So as for the extra features that will be on Blu Ray and 4K and not on dvd, digital rent or streaming of course, did I read it right that the digital purchase will have the extras, or is that for a digital download of some sort? I use YouTube for my digital purchases which is the new Google Play

18. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Let's hope Austin Butler isn't typecast from such a powerful and convincing performance.

That thought kept creeping up in my mind through this whole thread and after watching the movie.

RSteven likes this.
  19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I ordered a digital copy from Amazon Prime and I believe it includes the bonus features, but I cannot find anything specific on my order now. It just says I will get an email on August 8th when it becomes available around 9:00 pm Pacific Time.

80steen likes this.
  20. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, I think it is very important for Austin to stay away from any music projects for a long while. So far, he and his management are off to a great start of flexing Austin's diversity as an actor. Out of the three major roles he will have played once Dune: Part 2 comes out, two of main characters he will have played were bad guys.

Austin Butler will play the villain in Dune: Part 2 | Dazed

D-rock, MRamble and Shawn like this.
  21. Tim Lookingbill

From his appearance on Fallon (Youtube of him demonstrating the Sidewinder dance move I posted up thread) he still had the low toned vocal of Elvis's voice without the accent. It could be just me zeroing in on his vocal styling. I doubt anyone else is going to notice this. Elvis had a very unique and undefinable voice so much so I couldn't source ancestry lineage.

D-rock and RSteven like this.
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

23. Tim Lookingbill

MRamble, artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

25. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I've been trying to correct people on FB all day about it. I know, I know. A wasted endeavor!

I did see tho that Thursday numbers were down 24% from last week. Makes you wonder how much impact if at all the news of it coming to rent/buy effected people's willingness to go see it in theaters. Not sure what the damn rush is.

Chris DeVoe, RSteven and artfromtex like this.