The U.K. 80s Singles & Albums Chart General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Twist-Of-Shadows

Twist-Of-Shadows Forum Resident

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it:

I have found this compilation and am considering buying it:

Various - Pearls Of The 80s - Maxis Vol. 2

It has got the performance mix version of You Spin Me Round (which is relatively easy to find),
    but next to it it is written (clean version) in brackets.

What could that be referring to ?

Jarleboy, Jagger69 and piston broke like this.
  2. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

Clean - no sweary words?

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. Twist-Of-Shadows

I cannot think of any in that song. :confused:

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

Neither can I.

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Long Hot Summer 7" wasn't on Singular Adventures, it was a hybrid mix of the original 12" and something else. Let me find the write-up...

LONG HOT SUMMER (August 1st, 1983. Non-album single/EP).

[​IMG]

Where the first two TSC efforts had still carried over some of the latterday Jam DNA, the next release introduced key elements of The Style Council that were all their own.

The “European” iconography (mostly Paris), smart-casual fashion choices with their nod to Italy, a smoother sound…garcons et filles, welcome to Le Cafe Bleu. (Well, soon, just a couple more standalone releases to go).

Ostensibly an EP with 4 songs, A Paris‘ lead track was Long Hot Summer, an instant classic with its loping melody, syncopated 808 drum pattern and “shoo be doo be, doo be do bop” refrain. Only The Paris Match from the EP ever made it onto a Style Council album, albeit in a revised, re-recorded version with Tracey Thorn on vocal duties.

Peaking at #3, Long Hot Summer proved to be the band’s biggest UK hit.

Available on:
    Greatest Hits, The Sound Of The Style Council, Hit Parade (4CD edition), Collection, The Collection, Sweet Loving Ways.

EG.

6. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

LONG HOT SUMMER ’89 (May 15th, 1989. Remix of the 1983 track from A Paris EP).

[​IMG]

Well, what’s a Greatest Hits campaign without at least one unnecessary, modern remix of an old single? Presumably to keep The Singular Adventures… in the public eye for as long as possible, Long Hot Summer was issued in a new, ’89-stylee, configuration.

In fact, the original 7″ mix wasn’t actually on The Singular Adventures…, replaced by an extended version of this ’89 makeover (one of several instances on the set of the proper single version being AWOL). Ultimately, all this faff counted for little, as LHS89 limped to #48.

The most notable aspect of LHS89‘s release was the inclusion of Everybody’s On The Run, the first fruits of what was intended as the band’s next album, Modernism: A New Decade. It featured lead vocals from someone outside of the core Weller/Talbot/Lee axis, something which hadn’t happened since the days of Cafe Bleu and its assortment of guest singers and rappers. In spirit, and execution, it was very much in the TSC traditions of a collective celebrating a form of Black music with a social and political conscience, yet the rock-centric music press and a disenchanted, dwindling fanbase found it one step too far.

As did Polydor Records, Weller’s label since 1977. They refused to release Modernism…, and after six-and-half years of ever-changing moods and fluctuating fortunes (not to mention a stack of fantastic music), The Style Council were no more.

Long Hot Summer 89 is only available on CD in its 7″ form on the 3-track CD single.

EG.

7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

And then, apparently, the 89 mix was actually a remix of the 83 version, or something but never released.

EG.

8. Twist-Of-Shadows

I must have thought of this one after all.

Jarleboy and Eric_Generic like this.
  9. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

There have been a dozen TSC comps, so they are easily confused!!

EG.

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. Twist-Of-Shadows

That `89 version is really an abomination.
    Everything that was perfect about the rhythm on the original is totally wrong there.

Jarleboy, Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.
  11. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

:agree: I agree.

I've had the original 12" since 1987 when I bought Introducing... on CD.

EG.

Jarleboy and Jagger69 like this.
  12. Twist-Of-Shadows

OK.......now I guess its about time I shared my Complete Adventures (box set) story......

I have put it in my wantlist section on discogs a long time ago
    and a couple of years ago, suddenly one day an opportunity arose I couldnt have dreamed of.

So, as you can see for this release - currently the median price is 77.68 E.
    In those days is was probably around 60E or so.....

I found it one morning selling at 15 GBP with the media condition - VG and sleeve condition - F.
    I contacted the seller immediately and asked what was wrong with the sleeve, or more precisely,
    the booklet containing the band history, discography and everything else.
    A separate sheet for the complete lyrics.

He told me that there were a lot of pages torn and that was the main reason for this condition.

After just a couple minutes while I was contemplating buying it, he actually lowered the price of the item to only 5 GBP !
    My other expense would be the shipping costs and it turned to be around 10 GBP.

So I finally bought the complete set for only 15 GBP.

I was very fearful of its actual condition until it arrived at my door and then I realized that the discs were perfectly fine
    with only some superficial marks that dont affect playback. The cover looked very good and the booklet itself
    had pages torn as he explained, but the most important thing was that the pages were all there. They were in fact perfectly intact and can easily be assembled together so its not really a big thing after all.

Its obvious the seller was selling items from his own collection, but why would he give it away for only 5 GBP + shipping costs is beyond me.
    Anyway, I am very happy with this purchase.

:)

13. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I remember buying my copy new from HMV, think it was 49.99. Or maybe 39.99. I didn't buy many boxsets then, it was possibly only my 2nd!

EG.

Jarleboy and Jagger69 like this.
  14. Twist-Of-Shadows

Just checking out the complete tracklisting of the box set.....

How come Zeke Manyika played drums on the first, second and fourth single ?

Steve White joined the band later ?
    He was in the video for Long Hot Summer and yet, Zeke played on A Solid Bond In Your Heart, the next single......

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I believe Steve was still at school or something when he first joined the band. 16 years old. So maybe he wasn't able to do the sessions for some records, or hadn't become accomplished enough.

Solid Bond, as a demo, dates from Jam days so maybe it was recorded before Long Hot Summer.

EG.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

I have no idea why Dead Or Alive "You Spin Me Round" has (clean version) written in brackets, also King with "Love & Pride" has this. I can't remember that there were "sweary words" in both songs. Maybe someone has an answer why these are the "clean versions".

Jarleboy and Baz66 like this.
  17. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

Today we talked about Kid Creole And The Coconuts. I have "Tropical Gangsters" on vinyl and "Doppelganger" on cassette. My cousin had this album on LP and I made a copy of it. Since I couldn't remember if "Doppelganger" was released on CD, I checked Discogs. It turns out this album was never released on CD in the 80s. There are only three versions on CD :

Kid Creole And The Coconuts - Doppelganger | Releases | Discogs

Does somebody have one of these CD's in his collection?

18. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

Bow Wow Wow released two singles in 1983 that I really liked. Am I the only one who liked "Do You Wanna Hold Me? and "The Man Mountain"? I don't know if both songs were hits in the UK, but "Do You Wanna Hold Me" peaked at number 3 and "The Man Mountain" at number 8.

Surly, Twist-Of-Shadows and pwhytey like this.
  19. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

1985 is my favourite year for albums.
    I own 92 of the 100.

20. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

It was a big number one in Australia, too (for five weeks!) in Feb/March 1984. One of the most memorable chart toppers during that (banner) year. Very strange that it missed in the UK first time 'round. It had all the right ingredients to be a massive hit at the start of '84.

The music video was played to death but it always annoyed me with the dialogue over the top of the song. I hated when they did that during the 80s. Looking at it now, the choreography is a bit silly and Pat looks an absolute fright, dressed like one of the zombies in MJ's 'Thriller' video.

Looks like we Aussies had a unique sleeve.

[​IMG]

rfkavanagh, Jarleboy, AFOS and 4 others like this.
  21. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

Here is the video for Bow Wow Wow "The Man Mountain" :

Twist-Of-Shadows and pwhytey like this.
  22. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

Have we spoken about Animal Nightlife yet? 'Mr Solitaire' is another of those singles that I saw in the UK chart but didn't hear until quite recently. The cool jazz sound is very of its time but I really like Andy Polaris' voice. It reached #25 in October 1984.

[​IMG]

There aren't any quality videos on YouTube, unfortunately.

23. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I've never heard those Bow Wow Wow singles before — 'The Man Mountain' was quite a different sound for them, wasn't it. Odd that they were such big hits in the Netherlands and Belgium and nowhere else.

24. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

A mere 87 for me!

EG.

Jagger69 and Twist-Of-Shadows like this.
  25. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

I commented on one of their later tracks, "Love Is Just...", earlier today when a chart containing it was uploaded. I always liked them but I think their marketing was ultimately better than their recorded output - it's all fairly decent but nothing really oustanding; they were really hyped up for a while but never really hit the big time chartwise. I played their album, Shangri-La, a lot the year it came out. Incidentally, with all the talk of the Style Council and Paul Weller, Dee C. Lee is featured on backing vocals on this their first hit single.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    Jarleboy, Jagger69, ippudo and 3 others like this.