Why I won't buy a new Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

The front end upstream specially analogue such as Vinyl reproduction and the downstream speaker systems are transducers and far from the “ideal” ? of a ruler flat response.

2. Or, it’s that the manufacturers through their R&D discovered their products have better sound quality without tone controls. Why would they knowingly sell a product with a feature that compromises its sound quality? It would only hurt them in comparisons to other brands at similar price points.

Or look at it this way, if they could increase their product’s sound quality for “a few dollars” surely they would, especially for a multi-thousand dollar product.

Frank Bisby and timind like this.
  3. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Something that makes you want to sit and listen. Kind of like a good opium den.

4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile Thread Starter

I do not believe any manufactures designed tone controls and then decided to remove them later before marketing the amp. The manufactures are afraid their product would lose sales with tone controls because the uninformed public thinks a quality designed tone control sounds bad.

5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Don’t think you’d be sittin up too long in one :D

6. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Firstly, it's Line Magnetic LM-518iA.

Secondly, that's what tube-rolling is for; to find the sweet spot.

Lastly, I don't need tone controls. It keeps the circuitry as simple as possible, which, in those LM amps, is still not relatively simple, all things considered.

timind likes this.
  8. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

A lot of our audio hobby stuff is about boiling it down to it's simplest form....less is more.

timind, Ntotrar and Strat-Mangler like this.
  9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have owned integrated amplifiers and receivers with and without tone controls including those with "defeat" circuits. The results being the same; I never use the tone controls. My current collection of devices don't have tone controls and I don't miss them. I suppose if I needed to compensate for a deficiency in a recording (I can't think of any I own), an aberrant room response (none I'm aware of) or hearing limitations calling for boosting whichever band required to level out perceived response then tone controls could become important. And even with some hearing loss (61 years old with a work history of loud environments) I'm good as borne out by testing.

10. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

There's a thread here called "Vandersteen, 1st Order Crossovers, and Bad Measurements." Look it up. The measurements are meaningless. Vandersteen makes excellent speakers.

Again, the OP wants a tube integrated amp with tone controls, but you guys keep telling him he's wrong to want that.

jupiterboy likes this.
  11. Neonknight1

Neonknight1 Forum Resident

I have seen enough movies to get the idea that a good opium den does not cause people to sit up. It's the opposite, they seem to lay around wherever they can.

mkane likes this.
  12. Glmoneydawg

Vandersteen speakers measure very well....when measured correctly;)

timind and Ntotrar like this.
  13. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Correction, there are amps available, tube and otherwise with tone controls, what is wanted here is that the makers that choose not to use them comply with the OP wishes which is a different thing.

Without doing much research I've found this Luxman, I believe it has tone controls, balance and remote control, problem solved? Here it is anyway:

SQ-N150 | VACUUM TUBE AMPLIFIERS | PRODUCTS | LUXMAN | Seeking higher sound quality

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ntotrar and Glmoneydawg like this.
  14. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I think he wants ten watts single ended with tone controls for $2500.00...

Jimi Floyd and jupiterboy like this.
  15. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

That's not really the thrust of that thread.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  16. Neonknight1

Actually I just bought a couple of SET monoblocks. Does not have tone control, but is not an integrated amp either. I found that by selecting pre-driver tubes I could get the presentation and tone I wanted. If for some reason I wanted tone controls and room correction I would use a DSP between amp and pre-amp, it would give me parametric tone controls, time alignment functions, electronic xovers, and a way to measure the results. But I what I hear now is thoroughly satisfying so I see no reason to go down that path.

Audio Mirror Reflections Is A Nice Amp

17. Glmoneydawg

Right...but when i see that statement i feel the need to correct it :)

misteranderson and Uglyversal like this.
  18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Neon: Which monoblocks did you buy, and how do you like them? Can you post a review for us?

19. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

^^hang on. I'll bet in the long run SET won't supply enough power.

20. I wasn’t telling him he’s wrong to want that, I was countering a statement he made with an alternate possibility.

21. Frank Bisby

Frank Bisby Forum Resident

Wow! It’s the uninformed public that is buying high end audio equipment? And word class engineers that are trying to make the best possible products are knowingly omitting tone controls because they know their customers are “uninformed” and would therefore not buy their products If they sounded better? You have drifted very far from the shore with your reasoning and assumptions. People that are dropping 10k or more on stereo equipment are not uniformed as a general rule. They are obsessive, read endlessly, audition equipment, overthink everything and second guess every choice. Really, go listen to some equipment.

also, again, just buy an external EQ if you want tone controls.

timind, Khorn, Ntotrar and 1 other person like this.
  22. Jaxjax67

Jaxjax67 Samantha Fish @ small venue

Measured.?
    By ear.?
    By my ear or yours.?
    please explain so people can understand what a good set up is.........

23. Frank Bisby

Frank Bisby Forum Resident

Or he’s been told why it’s not there and he can buy an external if he want’s it. His claim is marketing and stupidity is why modern tube amps don’t have tone controls. It’s odd and more than a bit insulting to people that have bought new amps in the last 30 years.

timind and Ntotrar like this.
  24. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

Have got three of these 31-band EQs:
    Amazon.com: ART EQ355 Dual Channel 31-Band Equalizer : Electronics
    They sort of work OK but have minor noise and require internal preamp circuitry. Tried to find out from ART whether the pre was class A but they never responded. In any case, have put all 3 in the garage(s) because, as I said above, analog media sounds better without them.
    Use Nobsound/Douk 300B monos (SET) that are high quality and each has a volume control so you can adjust balance in the room. Not practical for each selection however. When i play R2R tape (preferred media format) the age of the tape requires subtle balance adjustment and this does not affect the soundstage -- that is spectacular by comparison to vinyl.
    High-end analog EQ is not available by my searches but perhaps someone here knows of a source. I assume that many of you know of convolution filters and how they can be created in REW and imported into an editor such as JRiver.

25. Neonknight1

Follow the link in my previous post, it's the last line.