Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

She might NOT be his spouse anymore. I understand we might assume there were "not testifying against each other" reasons for them to still be, but we might also assume Gene still had a ton of money so why all these risky absurd shenanigans?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    GMfan87' likes this.
  2. Brian Doherty

Still waiting to see how this show makes us completely rethink BB. Insane theory: in his interactions with Omaha Cancer Mark, Gene discovers the guy is FAKING having cancer for sympathy, and realizes in montage of images that WALTER WAS AS WELL!!

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think that the Sandpiper settlement has happened in between Kim leaving and the fast forward to pre-downfall Saul Goodman.

4. Brian Doherty

Right, big part of why he was living so large. That said, can also assume/guess without further info that merely being a friend of the cartel lead him to albq-superwealth.

MrSka57 likes this.
  5. Lonson

I think it starts with the fact that Saul gets Walt looked into by Mike and eventually will be the reason that Walt and Gus connect together.

6. Lonson

I'd think that sort of superwealth from the Cartel would have to be laundered or hid. . . his ostentatiousness suggests to me that he won this above board.

MrSka57, GMfan87' and Brian Doherty like this.
  7. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

That is some fine work right there. :righton:

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks! I had fun with it. Longwinded but I couldnt help myself lol.

I think this show is really found in the details and underlying subtle treasure hunts. I think that is why many dont like it and see for what it is at times. But, thats just me.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im actually at the beach. Sunshinin' down. There goes a seagul..looky there! Is that Chucks face in the cloud? Hmmm. Let me turn on my BCS soundtrack...ahhhhh blissful...*sips cuccumber water* ahhh..nice

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah I get carried away. Its fun for me though. And taken with a grain of Saul, I think it can be helpful to understand why Gene is Gene and his possible inner turmoil/feelings/motivation. But I realize much is just a theory. I try and stay within the area of what is shown in the episode though as much as possible.

GMfan87' likes this.
  11. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I could see that but never felt it myself.
    Skylar never bothered me but I thought it was not a seamless transition from the wife who finds out and is horrified to the wife who wants in on the game . I didn’t like how she kept pushing that car wash when there were so many other bigger things going on , (not that she knew) lol.
    Peekaboo was well done and an important message but I think seeing it more than once it loses the impact .
    I did recently complete a second rewatch in full and posted here I don’t know I’d ever watch all of it again. I didn’t appreciate any less , just don’t feel necessary to see again , and the darker it gets less enjoyable a watch it was.
    5 was not bad I just didn’t care for the Nazis really and how bad they turned Walt (the prison killings, killing Mike, leaving Jesse…)
    But the end result was great I thought.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  12. Edgard Varese

I have had "Tapioca Tundra" stuck in my head all week. :laugh:

13. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear. Thread Starter

All yours, cap’n.

ChazFromCali, Playloud and Tim S like this.
  14. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I actually hated S5 as it was airing, but I appreciate it far more now. It’s riveting. I guess I didn’t want to accept the monster that Walt had become.

Uncle Jack’s gang didn’t have to turn Walt—he was already a full-blown villain by then. High on himself for taking out the king. Mike tried to tell him, “Just because you killed Jesse James, that doesn’t make you Jesse James”.

15. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

When you think about it if Walt had just accepted Gretchen and Eliot’s money that was due him anyway.. then again if he had been so brilliant why didn’t he become at professor at college or take a job in research ?
    Well then there would be no show :pleased:
    Did you rewatch BCS before this season?
    I did and liked it better without waiting for another episode and endless commercials.
    The things I found slow, repetitive didn’t bother me as much.
    This season I rewatched the few episodes I liked best. I should see this latest one again to get more out of it.

16. Chrome_Head

To me, Walter was another seething, manipulative control freak like Chuck who was never going to be able to relinquish control or work that well with others.

They’re actually both fascinating case studies in a brilliant but particularly obsessive, destructive type of individual.

17. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

That’s interesting, never thought of him like Chuck.
    Chuck while certainly well played was not a likeable character even if he was right about some things about Jimmy.
    His ending was sad but I wasn’t sorry to see that storyline put to rest.
    Walt I did like, sympathize with till he just turned too many corners. But when he lost everything, especially his family he had me back on his side again. I loved when he yelled at Jesse on the phone that most of the things he did were for him, too. Came soon after Hank tells him that Walt cared about him.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  18. Chrome_Head

I actually watched BCS:

Once through as it aired on weekly TV,

1-4 again binged during Covid,

Then the girl I’m seeing had seen BB but never BCS, so we did a grueling marathon of the whole thing in two weeks right before S6 started this year. It binges really well, but I did find parts of the middle installments slow (then we binged BB again after the first half of BCS S6 aired).

One thing that’s been a bit of a revelation: my gf is big on closed captioning being on, and I likely catched a lot I missed in the dialogue before on both shows. Kind of deepened the experience. It even frequently tells you the artist and song name of the tracks they play.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  19. Edgard Varese

My wife does too as she finds it hard to pick up the accents sometimes (she's Kiwi).

Chrome_Head likes this.
  20. Chrome_Head

21. Edgard Varese

Well, there is the small matter of the cancer doc, and the surgery, and the chemo...

Fabsmith likes this.
  22. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

I loved the BBC series, never knew it got an American remake. Will have to look it up on Prime tonight.

GregM likes this.
  23. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Reminds me of the "Seinfeld" where Jon Lovitz guest starred .
    His character thought he had cancer, then didn't tell anyone he didn't, but kept the gifts he got.
    Jerry got him a certificate to get a toupee.
    "What kind of a person does this ? (He says to George) I don't even think you could pull this off. "
    George waves him off, oh yeah I could, lol.

24. Edgard Varese

Is anyone else feeling really sad about the show ending? I sure am. :(

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

If you will say this in a "Tony The Toilet Buddy" voice it makes it even better..!

[​IMG]

mmars982 and notesofachord like this.